COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Edwin Rommel

Any Slot Kar Vhizzerz out zhere?

Ich zuggezt buyink ein Porsche 911, zhen zhe zluts vill find you. Az zhey zay, if you buy it, zhey vill kome. :D

Bloody hell. Try to ask a simple question around here and what do you get? Noise, geesh :P

Right, slot cars. I've got a few, mostly Carrera. The track that Carrera makes take both 1/32 and 1/24 cars. I find the smaller 1/32 cars to be more fun, they look like they are moving faster as they go round the track. I have a few cars by Scalextric and one or two from Fly. All 3 makes are good. Do a google for any of the 3 and that should get you started.

I used to have Scalextric when I was a kid, long hours of fun setting up the track and all the pits and crew and yada yada.

There are still a few slot cars hobby shops here in SoCal where you can go and race other like minded souls, but they are getting few and far between, what with all the kids playing PS2 these days.

Slot cars...ah! Memories of childhood!

I had one of those classic wide-track slot car setups. The one I got for Christmas had a "Monza" curve. That was the big selling point.

Had both the classic 60s Formula 1 cars and some Lemans cars.

I can still smell the ozone coming off the transformer and the smell of super-heated plastic on the hand controller.

Many, many hours o' fun were had in the basement racing those slot cars. Geez! I may just have to go out and buy a slot car kit :D

They say you can never go back...maybe I shouldn't, eh? :unsure:

I would sure like to!

Go back, that is. :huh:

Had a few of the 1/24 "big" slot cars back as a kid, with a cool enough track to putz around on.

But there was a place down on Hampton Beach, NH that had a 12 lane wide track that had bridges and the whole

shooting match. I used to love to take my cars down there with some buds.

I haven't seen any tracks like that in decades...

Spec,

I used to take books out of the library that showed black and white pictures of those 12-lane slot car tracks. We had NOTHING like that up here in the GWN (Great White North). Usually the credit for the photo said it was some big slot car expo in California.

I would've died and gone to heaven if I could've actually played on a track like that when I was 11 years old.

Check out the images on this page: Multi-lane slot car track

I was 24yrs old and had just arrived in Toronto in 1956. Apart from hanging out in Coffee Shops and and Jazz Clubs,most of my time was spent racing with a slot car club,in some guys basement. We had a track about 30ft long and really well built,and my favorite car was a Scarab,dark blue,that went like hell,and won me a few little cups and ribbons. Great fun,harmless,clean,and there were girls! What more could a guy ask for? I remember I built the car from an Aurora kit,and it was about a 1/24 scale,I think. Sticky tires were the rage!

Bloody hell. Try to ask a simple question around here and what do you get? Noise, geesh

Don't vhorry Herr Neddie-- Ich bin uzed to it-- iz zhe zhame if Ich kall zhe hauptkwartier on zhe funkgerat to azk to retreat-- juzt noize....

Back to zhe slot karz--- nein Donzter not zhe slut karz---- Ich hear tell uf digital zyztemz vhere you haf overtaking option mit 4-6 karz on ein 2-lane track? Haf any uf youze zheen zhomevhot like zhiz?? Apparently Ninco iz about to bring vhon on zhe market unt SCX, Scaletrix unt Carrera haz zhuch ein zyztem????

Whoa.. that's cool. I'd not heard of that before, just went to check it out on the Carrera web site. Looks like one special track section, a black box and I could add it to my existing track. Neat. And Christmas is coming...

Thanks, Herr Fieldmarshal.

Paddles, Just do it.

Go back? I never left. The wife is certain that I'm still 5 years old. :lol::lol:

BTW, there's a whole section of GPL called Thundercars thats dedicated to imitation slot car tracks!

Whoa.. that's cool. I'd not heard of that before, just went to check it out on the Carrera web site. Looks like one special track section, a black box and I could add it to my existing track. Neat. And Christmas is coming...

Thanks, Herr Fieldmarshal.

Paddles, Just do it.

Go back? I never left. The wife is certain that I'm still 5 years old. :lol::lol:

BTW, there's a whole section of GPL called Thundercars thats dedicated to imitation slot car tracks!

Why am I not surprised that GPL has a slot-car track simulation? I'll definitely have to find that and give it a try. :thumbsup:

:)

Oh, and I'm saving my pocket change for a "real" track. I found a hobby shop in town here that specializes in slot cars and NASCAR stuff...guess I'll just have to mosey on over there and take a boo at their wares.

Hmmm-- vhere am Ich now-- it iz all zhe new in here... zhe paint iz fresh unt no schmell uf old schmoke unt beer...

Vhell-- zhoon fixe zhat...

Shultz-- ein zhigar unt zhum Lager bitte!

Hmmm-- vhere am Ich now-- it iz all zhe new in here... zhe paint iz fresh unt no schmell uf old schmoke unt beer...

Vhell-- zhoon fixe zhat...

Shultz-- ein zhigar unt zhum Lager bitte!

Glad you found your way here, Herr Rommel.

Your Lederhosen und accordian players will be here shortly ;)

Zhey don't need zheir legz to play zhe akkordionz!!

Had a look at some local shops-- there seems to be two types of digital systems-- one type works on the tracks- the other on the cars-- which makes the cars VERY expensive in our currency-- has anybody had a look at what is around on your side of the pond? It seems that a track-based system will be chaeper in the long run?

Hmmmm-- zhiz vhall iz schtill to blue.... HELMUT--- Bring zhum paint.....

Paddles, See Here for example.

This is the system that goes to the track. It looks like you can buy adapters so that you can modify your existing cars to run on this system.

The price for the cars seems to be about the same as for the regular cars. I think I'd rather use a system that works on the track so that I can use my existing cars. If the sytem reqires special cars then it will end up being more expensive, cause that's what you end up buying the most of, cars, and less adaptable if they can only run on the digital system.

I've not seen any of this stuff in person, nor, obviously, had a chance to run it. But I have had a good experiance with the Carrera stuff.

I've been on vacation watching the Montery Historics and I bought a 1960 Ferrari 156 F1 car 1/32 scale from Scalectrix. It's the sharknose that Phil Hill ran. Very nice.

Paddles, if you ever get the chance, you should see these races. It's at Laguna Seca every year at this time and they run some amazing cars. The F1 division had a '67 Ferrari 312 and a '66 Gurney Eagle. Amazing. I've got some pics if you want me to post 'em.