COMBATSIM Forum

Deacon bought it, I think he likes it. I think I'll wait until I build a new computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU.

Your new system uses an E6xx CPU, if I recall correctly. You shouldn't have problems getting decent performance. I read a post on another forum by someone who initially installed FSX on a system almost identical to mine and had mediocre sim performance, then built an Intel based system using the low end Core 2 Duo CPU and had much better sim performance. I am also reading that Windows Vista tends to make games run smoother and faster.

Red, I would hold off on FSX and consider Prepar3D

Being that you are a framerate guy, FSX will choke even the newest graphics cards and processors with the details turned up, and you will get the occasional chug or blank texture if a high density area is loading. I'm less of a frames junkie than you are, but it would really annoy me at times.

Ever since Microsoft shut down the Aces studio (that did FSX), those guys have gone over to Lockheed Martin to produce Prepar3D. The price is steeper, but the engine is similar and more efficient. Most importantly, it is under continual development, and most major mod builders (aircraft/scenery) are transitioning to Prepar3D. That said, FSX add-ons will mostly work with P3D just by plugging them in.

The only downside to P3D right now is the lack of native TrackIR support; there appears to be a clash of ego on whom should use who's software development kit. There is a payware workaround that you can use, though I haven't tried it.

Oh you said that word 'framerate' :banghead: ...I just got BMS running sweet and I don't want to go through all that again. :rolleyes: ..........so if thats the case then yes you are indeed correct, I would not enjoy that one bit, I'll hold off FSX for now.