COMBATSIM Forum
Moggy

Starting with EAW Now

Some older guidance from Max 188's page:

Running EAW under WindowsXP

Yes, with some tweaking, EAW should work fine with WinXP! There are a few important things you need to be aware of:

XP Updates- make sure you have XP Service Pack 1 or later installed. The Service Packs will automatically install the latest Application Compatability Update, which contains a custom profile for EAW that will allow it to work properly. DO NOT manually change the compatability mode using the compatability tab, or it will override the custom profile and cause problems with your joystick and keyboard in the game.

Video Driver Updates- If you have an Nvidia GeForce card, forget what you know about always upgrading to the latest driver. For EAW you must use a driver version 66.93 or earlier. Anything later will give you the dreaded Error 7217. I recommend you stick with version 66.93, as it is the latest EAW-friendly driver. Warning!- some newer games require a driver later than version 66.93. If so, you may break those games if you "downgrade" to 66.93. Nvidia has been made aware of the problem, but there is no promise of a fix. I often try later drivers when they come out, only to end up going back to 66.93.

Installation- If you are still having problems after updating to SP1, uninstall and reinstall EAW. If you have the version of EAW with the 1.2 patch on CD, and are getting the error "eaw.exe is not a valid Win 32 application", ignore the CD instructions and run the 1.2 update immediately after installing EAW.

Add-ons- the main EAW executable has to be named eaw.exe to be recognized properly. If you are using a add-on version that names it something else (eaw12a.exe), you will need to rename it to eaw.exe.

Joystick- If you are having problems getting your joystick to work or be recognized, here are some tips. First, make sure you did not manually check any compatability mode checkboxes for eaw.exe. You should rely entirely on the MS Compatability Update to automatically set the options. Also, check the settings under the Game Controllers icon in the WindowsXP Control Panel. Click on the Advanced button and make sure the Preferred Device is the appropriate joystick. Finally, if the joystick is acting erratic in the game, go into the eaw.ini file and find the line that says "Windows Joystick=0". Change the value to 1 (or 0 if its already 1) and see if that clears it up.

Special Notes for GeForce Owners

As explained in the section above, you will want to stick with version 66.93 of the Nvidia drivers. I recommend you enable d3d anisotropic filtering to minimize terrain shimmering, it makes a huge difference in image quality. Also, there is finally a fix for the corrupted briefing and map screens, the infamous "GeForce Bug." Detailed information on both of these issues and their fixes is available on the downloads page.

Error 7217

There are a couple common causes of Error 7217 on startup.

Nvidia GeForce graphics cards- if you have an Nvidia GeForce card and are getting this error, your video card drivers are probably too new. You must backrev to version 66.93. See above for more info.

Intel graphics chipsets- if your computer has an Intel 810/815/830/845 family chipset, you will probably get the Error 7217. This is a common on-board graphics chip that is found in many newer, inexpensive computers. The only way to solve this is to use an add-on graphics card and disable the on-board video. A graphics card like a low-end Nvidia Geforce series (which is still better than any on-board Intel chip) can be had for less than $50 if you shop around. If you don't have an on-board Intel graphics chip and still get this error, make sure you have the latest Microsoft DirectX and drivers for your video card.

Other Common Issues

ATI Radeon Card- EAW will work on a Radeon card, but it will not be able to display any horizon fog (there will be a sharp boundary between sky and ground) which detracts from the visual quality. Also, the briefing screens will be garbled. There is no known fix for either issue.

Windows 2000- If you somehow get EAW to run on Win2k, consider yourself lucky.

Very tempting Moggy , i might just do it one night and have a EAW marathon , go back to the days of 100 planes in a furball , ill let you know when i load up

Hi guys! I dug out EAW for old time sake and loaded it on my new PC. It has a 512MB ATI and I get the garbled briefings but otherwise it seems to do OK.

Amazing the time I spent flying this one. Moggy's observations are spot on though. You can still have some fun with this old sim.

I think the installation guide should be made into a sticky for this forum. It would sure be convenient for anyone looking for such info. I still have my EAW disc, box, and manual. Yeah, those were the days when a sim manual was printed and was about the size of a paperback novel.

I remember that nice Winter day that I went and bought EAW, actually I didn't buy it I returned CFS for it because the store didn't have EAW (which I originally wanted) but did have CFS (which I really didn't) and I had to get one of them to justify the 30 mile each way trip through the snow to get it. So I got CFS, had it at home for a week and lamented "Why oh why dear God couldn't they have had EAW?" Then decided it just sucked way too much to keep so made the trip again the next weekend, in a snowstorm, and lo and behold they had EAW in again. Life was good.

True story too, go back to the old EAW archives here I mentioned how I got EAW originally on there too. :lol:

The thing was even though I loved EAW, when I first opened it the best thing I could say about the manual was "Well it's a hell of a lot better than the CFS one was..." but I was slightly disappointed. Have to remember this was '98 and we were getting manuals then like Falcon 4.0s, and SWOTLs...man things have been sliding downhill ever since those heady days.

:popcornsmilie:

I didn't even bother with CFS1. At the time, CFS1, EAW, Screamin' Demons, and Janes WW II Fighters were the four European theater flight sims available. I read a magazine article that compared all four, downloaded the demo's of Jane's and EAW. The magazine article basically said Jane's had the best eye candy, but EAW had the best combination of game play and eye candy. Being of limited funds (and that has not changed <_< ) I could only buy one, so I selected EAW. It was ok on my Pentium 200 MHz, 4 MB graphics card machine. It was good when I moved up to a 400 MHz AMD. It was great when I built a Pentium 550 MHz machine with a Voodoo3-2000 card! The graphics are weak by today's standards, but no one has been able to equal the off line campaigns of EAW.

I tried to set up EAW on my Vista OS PC to utter failure....

I might just forget about it as IL2 seems to have EVERYTHING I want and is TR supported as well.

But, I still would like to run EAW after taking the time to load into onto my HD.

When I start it up I just get a message that says: "....eaw.exe is not a valid Win32 application"

What's the fix for that?

Chuck

It might be a Vista 64 bit problem. I ran into that with my office software, it basically will not run on 64 bit Vista, so I need to install a 32 bit operating system.

As for EAW and Il2, Il2 has better graphics, but EAW has better offline campaigns. In fact, I don't think there has been a combat flight sim with better offline campaigns than EAW.

Stans

My Vista OS is the 32bit version not the 64 so that isn't the cause of my problem?

Perhaps someone who has had this same message appear and who is running the same OS as I am has a solution?

With the amount of off line practice flying i need EAW seems ideal for me.

Chuck

PS I just got Battle of Britain II Wings of Victory in the mail today.

That game IS set up to use with my TrackIR 5 so I will be going to great lengths to get that one to work for me.

It looks like I am just going to have to give up on some of the 15 games I foolishly bought without first making sure that they were compatible with my system!

Our tests have been showing EAW to run just fine under Vista, both versions if IRC. The trick is to install it as a full install, COPY (not cut) all of the files in the European Air War directory to a new one, then uninstall the game.

The reason behind this is that EAW was not designed to use registry entries, and Vista likes to set them up. Now just make a shortcut for your desk top and you should be able to go from there....

See THIS thread as to a general guide to getting up and running with EAW and dealing with operating system and hardware anomalies.

Sandbagger's Starting Gate:The Basics

The 7217 error explained

EAW hi-res skins

EAW addon campaigns

Hi,

I had some adventures trying to get EAW running on Windows 7 x64. I managed to get some decent results pretty easily. For what it's worth:

1-11-11

Installing European Air War & EAW 128e -- Windows 7 x64

Travis Charbeneau

One User's solution:

I have an HP Pavilion p6330f, Core i3 CPU, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, 6GB RAM, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD (Core i3), Realtek integrated Audio. This is definitely _not_ a "gamer's machine," but it runs EAW and the 128e mod very well.

The strange tale:

I've seen EAW advice for virtual machines, etc. that seemed fairly complicated, but I found that "Setup.exe" from the Microprose factory EAW disk was a _definite_ no-go. "Setup.exe" failed with all "Compatibility" settings or "Run as administrator" permissions. One day I just double-clicked on the eaw.exe sitting on the factory CD. To my surprise, the sim just started right up and ran from the CD tray.

I copied the factory CD to its own directory (buried in My Documents) and ran the Microprose patch eawv1-2.exe. It went through its motions uninterrupted and seems to have installed. (After applying the patch, the eaw.exe that launches the sim is still reading "0.0.0.1," but that's just as it is on my XP machine where I'm sure the 1-2 patch applied correctly.)

Windows 7 would not accept the very nice Enemy Coast Ahead mod, but all the zipped stuff went in as one would expect. I was able to use the zipped audio and graphics files in my own collection (and, later, those of 128e, below) by just unzipping to the main EAW directory. It also accepted the dummy "Movies.cdf" file (from SimHQ.net: http://tinyurl.com/4myzg5u "Open Notepad, and then click 'save as,' all files**, 'Movies.cdf.' Copy the new Movies.cdf file to your EAW folder, and you will save 291,806kb per install")

The d3d windower app sometimes recommended to get EAW running wasn't necessary. My HP box uses the integrated i3 CPU's graphics, not the nVidias to which this patch seems addressed.

None of four No-CD hacks I tried would work. This includes eawv1-2.exe, a fairly-extensive early EAW mod/No-CD crack. However, I did find a work-around (below).

I made a "128e" mod from the factory EAW folder (just as I did with factory RB3D and the FCJ mod below). Before any of my own zip files were added, I made a copy of the working EAW folder and renamed it "EAW 128." I then unzipped ("7-Zip") the three main mod files 128e.exe, ETO.exe and Planes.exe to this new EAW 128 folder. 'So far, it runs fine.

EAW 128e Note: As with my XP EAW 128e install, I had to use Notepad to edit the EAW 128e eaw.ini file under [CONTROLS], changing the standard install's default "Windows Joystick=0" to "Windows Joystick=1," otherwise it locked up immediately. Also joystick-related, be aware that 128e will freak out if you try to run it with no joystick plugged in and "Windows Joystick=1" still selected in its eaw.ini. The factory install doesn't seem so picky.

The no-CD hack involves another eaw.ini edit. In the little [Miscellaneous] section, the default is Debug Flags=0 stacked on top of Debug Path=E:\ (assuming "E:" is your CD drive) Since I had two copies of the factory disk already on board, I just changed this to "Debug Path=C:\Users\Travis\Documents\UTIL\Games\EAW\EAW 128" (and "EAW v1.0" for the factory version's folder). Your nomenclature will naturally vary. This works for both 128e and the factory install, but after a single play and exit, the factory install insists on rewriting the [Miscellaneous] value to "Debug Path=" which prompts for the CD next time you launch. 128e doesn't mess with the ini and consistently loads without a CD. If anyone knows why this should be ...

Good luck!

TC

NOTE: Windows 7 x64 runs several other Windows 98-era sims, often performing better than XP. So far I'm running Red Baron 3D, a factory install and a duplicate with the excellent Full Canvas Jacket mod applied. (Only the original dgVoodoo 1.26 Glide wrapper works here, and I tried several). I also got Janes WW2 Fighters and Mig Alley to work. Janes USAF is _supposed_ to run, but I've had no success. The fun shooter Crimson Skies is a fairly notorious W7 no-go.

Travis,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting your how-to guide. :thumbsup:

To all, I previewed the TinyURL, it's legit :)

Hey, Joker, he has Red Baron 3D installed on Win 7 :)

Hi Guys, i will Start next with EAW, and now ive a question:

Goes EAW on Windows 2000 Professional?

On specially Download-Sites He says it Should go, but im Not Sure that that is right...

Ill thank you for an answer!

<p>

I'm pulling the enamel off of my teeth trying to get EAW loaded on this machine. I found myself reformatting and loading XP service pak 2 and it helped my other sim programs.

But EAW is still giving me the fits and I mean the FITS. I'm gonna follow Travis' method and some SWAG factoring.

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread for those of us that remember the days when EAW was an excellent combo of graphic & engagement programming.

PS- Just finished copying the disk to the TEMP folder...applied 1.2 patch...

No Go

applied a 1.28 patch I found earlier today...

No Go..

Loaded the Igor Pavlov files and ran them...now I get EAW but only the top half of the screen.

Instant Mission, Single Mission, Pilot Career...when I select Instant Mission, it will take me into the flight arena and all's good.

But the lower half of the main menu is blacked out. I shure cud use some help w/this danged issue.

Not counting the fact that I really want an engaging WWII type sim program outside the Microsoft series.

IL-2 is my next mission and I hope since its an older program, installing it won't be such a fuss.

I've read to stay completely away from the newer IL-2 Cliffs of Dover.

Suggestions always Welcomed Here....

</p><p><br></p><p>PSS- Here's the Pavlov patching files that gave me at least a pseudo- playability</p><p>http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41230226/JDLP/128ESU.html</p><p>http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41230226/DSP.htm</p>

Hi Cu-Melter,

operating systems are no longer a problem when the 1.26 patch is applied http://www.sandbagger.uk.com/EAWKeyFiles/EAW1_26Epatch.zip

Videocards/drivers and the 7217 error are the main causes for not being able to run EAW. This error, when shown, signals that your hardware no longer supports 640*480 desktop resolution in 8 bit mode (256 colors).

A workaround for this is to copy the contents of the EAW CD onto your C drive and subsequently install a freeware program called D3D Windower and point that program to the EAW.EXE in your gamefolder of the copied CD.

After setting screenresolution and a few other parameters (experiment with them as there's not much you can play with), you should be able to run the game in windowed mode.

Reboot your computer after the installs and before you give the game a try.

Also most videocards allow special game configurations to be saved, try tweaking your card in the video control panel, sometimes this can help. Start with switching off most or all accelleration options and turn em back on one by one to see if any of them causes or solves the problem.

Also make sure that the EAW.INI (editable with notepad) in your gamefolder contains a supported resolution under Width and Height (see desktop settings), according to an original Microprose note preferrably set both to the same resolution.

Good luck

VonBeerhofen

http://www.europeanairwar.net/

Watch this thread for new action pictures from our current online sessions or visit the EAW Launchpad!

Teamspeak server details can be obtained via our (admission free) chatroom as it may change:

http://www.chatzy.com/251310437564

Open all day ,no membership required, professional help or just a chat. And you can also have a look at my latest creations or just visit our screenshot gallery to get an impression of our games!

http://rabartel.home.xs4all.nl/test/Gallery/image/

This is the latest screenshot taken:

LPRocks.jpg

VonBeerhofen

http://www.europeanairwar.net/

Yeah, great achievement FsFOOT. I hope your efforts will have some effect on the remaining EAW community, be it old or new players.

Don't pay any attention to the doubting Thomass's elsewhere but proceed in your efforts. Anything will help to keep EAW alive! It's a great game.

If you like you can try my version, :)

VBH