COMBATSIM Forum
Schatten

Scatty's Muddle Screenshot Scrapbook

Thanks man, I'm kinda torn on it, like it yet...needs something. I'll figure it out. Or not. Hehe.

:D

Here are some more, and in honor of Herr Rommel's birthday I actually have some Japanese planes in here that aren't completely in little burning pieces...although most are shot up. Hey I'm not that nice as to not shoot them up and all. ;)

BettyHit2.jpg

This is a mock color photo of a F4U-1D Corsair off the USS Essex attacking a Kate torpedo bomber off Okinawa. The Corsair has just caused damage to the Japanese plane causing it to ditch it's torpedo to take evasive action, the Corsair was attacking so fast that to avoid hitting the Kate it ducked underneath after the gun pass, barely missing the torpedo as it was dumped.

CorsairMt.jpg

This is a mock color photo of a Marine F4U-1 flying near an unknown mountain somewhere in the South Pacific at sunrise.

JackMt.jpg

This is a mock color photo of a Japanese "Jack" naval interceptor somewhere near the mountain from the previous picture. The Corsair had inflicted the damage visable to the Jack which crashed shortly after this picture was taken.

OscarBW.jpg

This is a mock black and white photo of a Japanese Ki-43 "Oscar" being chased by a Marine F4U-1A Corsair somewhere in the Solomon Islands.

Thanks Doug. :D

I've been noodling around with different techniques and whatnot so been a little slow posting more because I keep thinking of more ways to completely mess around with them.

Thanks Staggers. :D

I finally figured out a way to kinda-sorta get some grainyness into them without using the "noise" button which was giving me all sorts of malfunctions (big pink and teal dots) so did a pseudo-noise/grain deal with these ones. I was thinking about going back and adding it to some of the old ones but...nah.

Schat,

Photoshop lets you do "monochrome" noise so you don't get all the multicolor business. Is that not an option in your graphics program?

Nope, at least not so far as I've seen. Although now that you mention "monochrome" it gives me an idea, although I'm not sure if I can greyscale a single layer or not in PSP. Haven't tried that yet but that could be an option, an overlaid raster layer set to greyscale and then using the noise button on that layer. I'll give it a whirl here and see what I can see.

Nope that didn't work one little bit, which is fairly annoying. I did go back and add some graininess to 2 of the pictures, one because it's my favorite one (I think) and the other because it's the one that Stag specifically said would work better with some grain:

05-Corsairphoto3.jpg

69-A-20low2.jpg

Thanks Gunny I'll take that as a compliment. Afterall carrier pilots must have had a similar mindset. I know its relatively easy when you know how but I count every successful trap a real acheivement. Same goes for low level flying and long range deflection shooting. If you can do all that easily enough you can do pretty much anything. :)

Phil

Tazzers I gotta second what Gunny said, that is some impressive barnstorming you have going there. :thumbsup:

Carrier traps still give me the sweats no matter how many I do, but that's the way they're supposed to be, anyone who relaxes on a carrier trap isn't right in the head. Well I'm not right in the head either, but even I'm not that crazy. ;)

Speaking of crazy...

More Muddled Screens.

98-KI-84paint.jpg

This one is a simple faux Aviation Art picture of a couple of KI-84s flying over a tranquil sea. If only I could get that color to the ocean in game I'd be a happy man...

22-CorsairCsketch.jpg

This one is a pseudo sketch of a F4U-1C Corsair scanning for targets near Munda.

19-B-29Top.jpg

This is a color photograph taken from the top gunner's position on a B-29 over Japan in 1945 of a Tony that has just been ignited by the same plane's tailgunner.

75-Blisterpic.jpg

This is the same Tony from the picture above, but this photo was taken from the starboard plexiglass observation blister of another plane higher in the formation. Obviously this crew needs to invest in some Windex...

Those are some incredible screenshots! Why don't you post a few on the SimHQ site, so more can see?

Or would you mind if I started a thread over there with a link to this thread?

Thanks Li'l Jugs. :D

Sure you can put a link up, they're just something I've been messing around with for the time being since I don't have a merged install to get any real online flying with the guys in yet. Keeps me sane...kinda. :blink:

Schatt!?!

Dude, I haven't seen or heard from you in ages! Last time I saw you was over at Kali probably around 3 years ago. I saw a link to your photos over at SimHQ and I had to drop in to say "hola".

Glad to know you are alright amigo. Nice pictures btw :thumbsup: . Hope to hear back from you. I sure miss the old VMF-124 days. Hasta!

Brian "DD"

DD! :D

How you doing amigo? Yeah I was kinda out of circulation for a while, mostly due to Real Life and a succession of computers spontaneously combusting on me.

Getting geared up to move to Arizona soon, which means...Vegas baby, Vegas. ;)

Arizona? Man, all the Zonies hang out in San Diego during the summer. That's cool as snot dude. Vegas is only a short road trip away. Get your vintage suit pressed, some rolls of nickles, and you'll be looking real money for all the honeys. Vegas Baby, Vegas!

DD

Okay here are a few more, something I did just to see how they'd look in the game, 3 mock color photos and a very aged one.

h6okikaflyby.jpg

Something that could have happened if the war had gone on a while longer. In this color photo a B-29 off the Japanese coastline is greeted by an IJN "Kika" jet fighter. Soon more of his fellows arrived...

m7gkikaattack.jpg

The Kikas begin their assault on the B-29 bomber stream, inflicting extremely heavy losses on the American planes.

j4brocket46.jpg

Later in that same mission, the harried B-29 survivors meet another threat in the form of an IJN rocket fighter. This photo was found in the Japanese Naval Acadamy at Eta Jima's archives and was taken from the 3rd plane in the flight.

4f-Oops.jpg

No this isn't Korea. Yet. It's another "what if" situation, in which the United States and the USSR wound up in a shooting war as opposed to a Cold War over the Berlin Airlift. This photo shows a Marine F4U-4 flying out of Japan shooting down a Soviet Yak-9 over the Kuril Islands.

What can I say, I was in a weird mood. ;)