COMBATSIM Forum
Schatten

Scatty's Muddle Screenshot Scrapbook

Thanks Geg. :D

Just fun to do and all. Most of the credit has to go to Oleg for making the game look so sweet and realistic to begin with. Trying to pretify some other games can be...challenging to say the least.

And now for something completely different...sort of. Some non-PTO pictures just because I felt like it. All are pseudo color photos.

mig1515dc.jpg

This photo taken in 1951 shows a Soviet MiG-15 at an airbase in southern China prior to it being repainted for use over Korea.

sabre19rx.jpg

This is the same MiG-15 after it ran up into an American F-86F Sabre over near Kaesong, Republic of Korea.

skyraider11ws.jpg

This picture taken in 1965 shows a USAF A1-H Skyraider dropping napalm on Viet Cong and NVA positions in the Ia Drang Valley, Republic of Vietnam.

skyraider23ct.jpg

This rather large (sorry about that) picture shows a USN A1-H Skyraider en route to deliver ordinance againt North Vietnamese Army positions encircling Khe Sahn, Republic of Vietnam in early 1968.

Fret not Herr Rommel, the WWII (and even some pre-WWII) pictures will return soon. ;)

Hehe yeah Spectre, I got it since you said such nice stuff about it. Still noodling around with it mostly.

Nuking crop circles eh? That'll get you in big trouble with the Imperious Leader or something. Very cool shot but watch out for those...probes once they see what ya did.

:blink:

That's actually an add-on someone made called "the range". It's a pretty good place to do some weapons

testing. Here I have the fluff working, but the actual Ooomph is a bit lacking.

Plus, I love the skin someone made for the USAF Rhino-E. All can be found at my home-boys site,

BioHazCentral...

I tried to get some stuff from there but when I registered I never got a confirmation email back so...no dice. <_<

So I've just been picking up pieces/parts as I find them.

This one's especially for Gunny since I know he's always liked these planes...

panther10bd.jpg

Bridges at Toko Ri anyone?

;)

Yeah, even though that was a Grumman bird, I do like that little puppy. Fast, manuevable and for it's time could carry a load. Never got the press that the F-86 got, but still a sweet little ship. I got to see one of two still in existance today in Dallas a few years ago. I have got to find those pics I took there. There were some nice birds there at that little field.

Has anyone tried the MP on this one yet? How does it run?

Yeah it's a nice flying plane, shot down a MiG-15 with it so something was working right with the thing.

As far as MP goes, doesn't look like coop works in MP yet. At least that's what I read. After I bought it. Sorta disappointing and I hope sometime soon it works because...well otherwise what's the MP point ya know?

Here's one especially for Tazzers. Never flew them much but they sure can be purdy looking from time to time...

spit18qg.jpg

RAF Spitfire somewhere over Malta, 1942.

(That is the least Muddled of any screenshot so far, the game engine's colors were just perfect at sunset over the Med so didn't take too much work)

Haven't done any of these in a while, and this was just something I did real fast when I was testing something.

mig21sketch21cl.jpg

That is a pseudo pencil sketch of a Soviet MiG-21 in flight somewhere over the Baltic Sea.

Here's one especially for Tazzers. Never flew them much but they sure can be purdy looking from time to time...

spit18qg.jpg

RAF Spitfire somewhere over Malta, 1942.

(That is the least Muddled of any screenshot so far, the game engine's colors were just perfect at sunset over the Med so didn't take too much work)

I thank you sir. Much appreciated.

Phil :)

Been a long while since I've done one of these, been too busy flying. :unsure:

emiliy11pi.jpg

This is a pseudo-color picture of the plane I love to hate, a H8K Emily flying boat on the water somewhere in the South Pacific, 1943.

Here it is May of 2009. Last post before this one was waaaaaaaaaaaay back in 2005!

Schatty, seriously, you have to grace these forums with some more of your muddling artistry.

You're keeping backups of your muddles on CD, right? We don't ever want to lose 'em.

CDs are so 1999 Doug, I have them all on DVD. :D

I just haven't been playing any sims to make any new screenshots lately.

And since you whined...well okay not whined, yeah maybe whined, I still haven't decided yet...

Here ya go. ;)

Pe-2Night.jpg

Nothing too fancy, just a Pe-2 on a night bombing mission I screwed around with this morning.

And again from messing around this morning a little bit:

Norway109.jpg

Bf-109G-6 over Norway.

Damn! You got a talent, boy!

Love that one of the Pe-2 on a night mission. And the prop blur on that 109. Outstanding!

You'll have to teach me how you do that ... wait, no ... you just keep doing them, I'll keep appreciatin' 'em. :)

Thanks Doug, glad you like 'em. They are fun to do, but I just haven't been flying anything in forfrickinever so that's why there was a drought of pics.

The props were easy as sin, mods my man mods. ;) I'm using an old, old, old prop mod from right when mods for the game came out, I don't even think this one is even available anymore, but I could be wrong. There's a newer version that I think came with the UI 1.11 but it's for "realistic" blur while you're flying. This one is more "realistic" if you took a picture of the plane in my opinion. So the props were easy as falling off a log.

I'm actually surprised they turned out as well as they did because 1) I haven't done any of these for years and 2) I was actually playing the game when I took them not "staging" pics like I usually did for these, so my graphics were cranked down in game to get playable FPS not pretty ones, so there's no AA on the actual screenshots or any other "prettificiation" sort of options . The main thing that still jumps out at me are the radio aerials but since this was just a screwaround to see if I could still do them I wasn't too terribly upset about them. They'd look a lot better if I had the hardware options turned up, but then I would have died, horribly, through stuttering. But that's just one of the pains of having an old as hell PC I suppose. I did save some tracks of the Pe-2 mission since a lot of interesting stuff happened on it, so I can go back and ramp the graphics all the way up to 11 and not worry about flying (or dying) issues due to FPS.

Another interesting (well curious) fact is that the Pe-2 picture took 32 layers all told to do, the 109 one took 8. Sometimes the more subtle stuff takes a lot more effort than the more obvious sorts of things actually. The other interesting thing I found is that some of the muddling techniques work really well for skin layers too...so maybe I'll do a rework of a couple. ;)

32 layers? Yikes!

The aerials ... yes, now that you mention them ... was that the effect you wanted? I never noticed them until you said something, but now that I'm lookin' at 'em all studious and whatnot ... they might be a bit thick, no? What do I know, eh? I watch four minutes of Olympic figure skating and I'm saying things to the TV, like ... "You call that a one-footed Lutz jump!? I think not!"

So yeah, I'm no aerial expert ... the muddles still look top-notch ... even with the thick aerials :lol:

No they're the right size, but if you look really closely they're all zigzaggy/jaggy instead of being completely straight lines because of the no anti-aliasing hooya.

I guess you could say my computer is anti-anti-aliasing. :lol:

The more I look at that 109 pic though, the more it reminds me of a box illustration for a model kit, I'm not sure if that's very cool...or very disturbing. :unsure:

No they're the right size, but if you look really closely they're all zigzaggy/jaggy instead of being completely straight lines because of the no anti-aliasing hooya.

I can't see any jaggies ... and I'm really looking. :unsure:

I can't see any jaggies ... and I'm really looking. :unsure:

I still can, but they could be jumping out at me more because I know what they looked like originally in the screenshots so didn't think I got them cleared up enough personally. But hey if you can't see them, they ain't really there! ;)

A couple more here too, from the sunny Mediterranean for a change. First off, a "color photo" of Swordfish(-ies) on their way to do some mayhem on Sicily.

StringbagPhoto1.jpg

And something very new and different that I'm trying, a "colorized photo" sort of effect, I'm not completely happy with how this one turned out, mainly because of the base screenshot but hey it was a good learning experience at least. It's only half "colorized" for 2 reasons, one to sort of show what I'm trying to do, but mainly because it's an Italian plane and Italians can be so laid back that being laid back is an officially recognized professional sport over there, so the artist decided to go drink some vino and play bocce ball midway through the attempt. No that's not a stereotype, I know since I'm half Italian and the artist and all. Unfortunately I have no wine at the moment, nor bocce ball court nearby, but it's the thought that counts. ;)

MacchiColorized2.jpg

The main reason I tried it is I've always thought those old hand colored pictures from WWII were sort of neat, so figured I'd give it a whirl. Again, I'm not too thrilled with this picture, but I have a good handle now on what will work for doing them now at least. So it's a Work In Progress, well the technique that is, that picture of the Macchi is as done as it's gonna get. Besides I scared even myself at the number of layers it took. :lol:

Schatty,

You know what you are doing, right? There's a new thing in digital photography called HDR. It stands for High Dynamic Range and it involves using a digital camera to take not just one photo of a scene, but several at the same moment. One image will be under-exposed, another properly exposed, and another over-exposed. When combined using software, the effect is very similar to your muddles.

The June 2009 issue of Photography magazine had some fantastic pictures showing the technique and they look eerily like your muddles in that they share the vivid colors giving the image an almost cartoony feel, and yet the realism of the original image is still very much visible, but it's felt more than seen with the eyes ... if that makes any sense at all.

Here's an excellent tutorial on the method for creating the HDR effect in Photoshop. I'm sure you can translate the steps so they'll work in Paintshop Pro: HDR Photoshop Effect.

Hell no I don't know what I'm doing, I make this crap up as I go along ya know. :lol:

I never heard of HDR before, but that's a pretty interesting page. :D

And some of the stuff they talk about I do, although they use blending masks for the parts that are similiar, I do everything by hand to try to get it juuuust right. The problem with that is, is that sometimes I get it too far right and have to start pulling stuff out because it's getting overdone. The trick with the "color photos" is that WWII film either looks extremely overexposed and bright (eye burningly bright) or very underexposed with a color washout, almost Saving Private Ryan-y. If you know what I mean. For the Med I went with the overexposed, I'll do some tommorow underexposed in Russia or something.