The Dude

BTW: COMBATSIM.COM is 10 Years Old

67 posts in this topic

Wow! I had no idea about the history of this site. Impressive and amazing. Congrats with the 10 years!

:thumbsup:

Wow! I had no idea about the history of this site. Impressive and amazing. Congrats with the 10 years!

:thumbsup:

yodasmall.jpg Much to learn have you about the CSim force.

Yes, I have learned my first important lesson. That I have much to learn.

S!

:)

What an illustrious history and group of people to be admitted to! Yeah,that's terrible grammar, I know, but I feel humbled by association with all of you. Without your ten years of struggle and strife, Doug, I wouldn't be enjoying PF and OFP, and reading excellent articles by knowledgeable people, so I thank you and congratulate you for a job well done and continuing! :icon_salute3:

On 1/19/2007 at 3:22 AM, Zhukov said:

And the irony is that EF2000 is the all-time high point for combatsims...

Probably still true...

I came across this thread by chance. Seems like a 21st birthday coming up. :)
The paywall thing was before my time, but fascinating to read about.

Wow, yeah. I just read about Combatsim’s history for the first time and it really is exciting. I’m looking forward to the next birthday as well!

Yep, we've been around for a while.  So many of the regulars have moved on, but a few are still here. 

1 hour ago, Stans said:

Yep, we've been around for a while.  So many of the regulars have moved on, but a few are still here. 

Are we here, or are we really not here? That is the question. :blink: I think I am here. But the wife says I am way out there. I'm so confused.

I just turned 86 last week, so whatever reaction times I ever had are sadly depleted now, but I fondly remember the Multiplayer evenings with Donnie, Stans, Gunny, Dude, et al, in our Corsairs doing bomb runs on Jap airfields! Now I just piddle around flying Hurricanes in CoD by myself and trying to rekindle the great feeling of being part of the group!

So, many thanks, Dude and Dudess, for those great times and camaraderie, I'm so proud to have been a part of it all. 

God bless you both.

Edited by Whizkid
I just realized that I was replying to a 10yr old Post! However, it still applies.

Happy belated Whiz.  You're still a member in good standing the Lads.  We often think fondly of the times you flew or ran with us back in the day.  You are missed.

Wasn't around in the very beginning, but I've been here a while.  Wouldn't have missed it for the world.  

Such fond memories. Good to see the place is still going!

14 hours ago, geg said:

Geg!  Good to hear from you.  Please, stop by and post more often!

Well if it isn't Geg! Welcome home! Damn it's time for The Dude to open the green vinyl lounge and buy a round of drinks! Maybe Rommel and Mane Raptor will stop by too!

Wait ... what?

21 years? N'ah ... you guys are just foolin', right?

I mean, I just went out for smokes ... but then, and this is where things get blurry ... I recall seeing headlights ... bright headlights coming straight at me ... then, everything went dark.

<queue alternate universe story by Old Guy and/or Rommel and/or multiple resident authors>

But seriously, yeah ... 21 years. Who'd've thunk it, eh?

<insert heartwarming montage of 'Simian "cockpit" pics,  forum exchanges, and hilarious in-game multiplayer audio.>

Good times :)

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Wait ... what?

21 years? N'ah ... you guys are just foolin', right?

I mean, I just went out for smokes ... but then, and this is where things get blurry ... I recall seeing headlights ... bright headlights coming straight at me ... then, everything went dark.

<queue alternate universe story by Old Guy and/or Rommel and/or multiple resident authors>

But seriously, yeah ... 21 years. Who'd've thunk it, eh?

<insert heartwarming montage of 'Simian "cockpit" pics,  forum exchanges, and hilarious in-game multiplayer audio.>

Good times :)

You mean like this one?

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:40 PM, geg said:

Shh Geg, they may notice the sanitarium guards left and sneak out to "visit" your house...

<Stans said>You mean like this one?</Stans said>

Precisely!

:rofl:

There was some audio of Stag giving me hell while we were flying in a two-seater over, I think it was Pearl Harbor. 

I was jinking all over the place trying not to get shot down and Stag was in the rear-facing seat trying to shoot the bastard I was jinking to avoid.

At some point Stag lost patience with me and turned the gun on me, so to speak! :lol:

7 hours ago, The Dude said:

<Stans said>You mean like this one?</Stans said>

Precisely!

:rofl:

There was some audio of Stag giving me hell while we were flying in a two-seater over, I think it was Pearl Harbor. 

I was jinking all over the place trying not to get shot down and Stag was in the rear-facing seat trying to shoot the bastard I was jinking to avoid.

At some point Stag lost patience with me and turned the gun on me, so to speak! :lol:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

TQM is still around!  It's great to see these seasoned members posting.

Hi TQM! I think part of the problem we haven't had a lot of our old mates stop by is that we are all getting old enough we've forgotten how to get here! :D

Good god how long I've been hanging with you gits!

I remember it well . . .

Okay, so some bits of those early years have gone down the history drain.  I bought EAW in early 1998, I think.  Had so much trouble trying to land and take off, I looked for a forum devoted to that game.  It was a quest for knowledge.  I hooked up with another forum (can't recall the name) and hung around there for a few months.  It vaporized and left a bunch of folks hanging.  I then found CSim . . . and the rest is history.  And mighty boring stuff it is!

I posted the first forum tale in early 2000.  Some of those early efforts have been lost.  A merciful death to be sure. 

Now I'm about the same age Whizkid was when I first posted in this joint.   39.

:)  OG

I dunno, I think we all enjoyed the tales.

I always enjoyed Jim's stories and still do. Always great "Mammeries" for me. ;) Though constantly passing out has led to lack of oxygen to my brain and has caused a bit of dementia.

3 hours ago, Donster said:

I always enjoyed Jim's stories and still do. Always great "Mammeries" for me. ;) Though constantly passing out has led to lack of oxygen to my brain and has caused a bit of dementia.

Ich do nicht zhink zhat ist zhe vreazon fvor dein demenzia.  Vou hav alvayz been kvrazy in zhe head.  Az fvor Oldt Gay's ztoriez Ich did nicht kare fvor zhem az he alvays portvrayz me az zome zort of dumkopf.