COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Twitch

Invasion England!

Seems there haven't been any topics discussed here for a long while so I'll drop one.

Do you think Germany could have invaded GB? I say as things unfolded in reality no since they were not prepared with vehicles. They figured Britain would cave in under the U-boat stranglehold and sue for peace. However I believe that if, and it's a big if to be sure, Hitler has set his mind to invasion in like 1937 Germany certainly could have come up with craft and vehicles to do the job and their industry could have produced them. As to the details of any assault plan......well?

Well, a lot of IFs but I'll bite on this one. Let's assume for moment that Hitler wasn't a complete loon and didn't have his hands in everything. Let's also assume that he didn't decide to take an errant bombing raid personally and pulled the Luftwaffe off bombing the RAF airbases. Let's also assume shall we that he didn't open up a second front with the Russians. The only thing he would have been lacking was the sealift capability to move large forces across the channel. However, he could have used almost anything that would float because let's face it, until he shifted bombing from the RAF bases to civilian targets, he had the RAF on the brink of extinction. He would have enjoyed nearly complete air superiority over the channel and would have probably been in a position in a few weeks that he could have shifted assests from airfields in France to Britain.

As for a plan? Well, attack where the channel is the most narrow IF there are sufficient beaches to land armor. Establish a beachhead, pour thousands of tanks and troops onto said beachhead, then have at.

It is speculated however, that what Hitler really wanted was for the British to join him in fighting the Russians. That plan was pretty much shot to hell in the end by the Japanese at Pearl Harbor. He thought that Germany and Britain had just enough in common that instead of help the Russians, the Brits would help Germany in it's fight against Communism.

The last time Britain was successfully invaded was 1066 AD (my ancestors came to England with William the Conquer), I don't think Hitler was sufficiently brilliant to pull off such a stunt. That being said, if the Nazi's weren't fighting the Russians and helping the Italians in their effort to conquer North Africa, and if Hitler had listened to his more brilliant generals and not the psycho's he put at the top, maybe. He would have to have continued bombing RAF fields, military installations, and perhaps manufacturing facilites. He would have needed total air superiority over the English Channel, but getting men and hardware onto English soil may have proven quite difficult.

um, doesnt an aerial bombardment aka the blitzkrieg count as an invasion? more or less?

No, they count as raids. An invasion is where the baddies intend to stay long term in a position of influence.

The one's that did stay though, weren't exactly in a position to give orders, one way or other.