COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Newer computer help

I loved F-15 in it's day. I decided to fire it up again but, NO. I can only run the game in software driver mode. My rig is not that new. Does anyone know some tricks or settings for my video card to get the game to run again?

AMD xp2400

ATI 9500pro vid card recent drivers.

1 gig ram

WinXP pro

I loved F-15 in it's day. I decided to fire it up again but, NO. I can only run the game in software driver mode. My rig is not that new. Does anyone know some tricks or settings for my video card to get the game to run again?

AMD xp2400

ATI 9500pro vid card recent drivers.

1 gig ram

WinXP pro

Hi Mike, welcome to the flightline! :)

As to Jane's F-15, it was meant to be viewed through the old Glide/Voodoo video format, now extinct.

There have been go betweens call wrappers released hear and again over the years. I would recommend Googling up ATi _Glide wrapper.

I would do so, and post links, but that may be misconstrued as endorsement, and I can't go around doing that...

Hi Mike, welcome to the flightline! :)

As to Jane's F-15, it was meant to be viewed through the old Glide/Voodoo video format, now extinct.

There have been go betweens call wrappers released hear and again over the years. I would recommend Googling up ATi _Glide wrapper.

I would do so, and post links, but that may be misconstrued as endorsement, and I can't go around doing that...

Hi and thanks for the welcome.

Do you not endorse the wrapper because it may cause some damage to my system/drivers etc... or do you just not endorse the game. If you don't like F-15 I'm not sure I can belong to this community. :rolleyes: I thought the game was great and wish someone would build another version of this game. I long for the days of the great flight sims. It seems the glory days are over.

Update:

I tried someones wrapper and boy did the sim look bad. I wonder if my memory of the game is just distorted. I guess I'm used to newer games cause I don't think I'm going to be able to bring F-15 back to where I remember it. Hmmmmm.

You have learned much here grasshoppah! ;)

Yeah, I did not want to link you to a wrapper, only to take the blame for "culture shock!"

It sucks resurrecting old sims, and thinking "Blech! I remember this looking so much better!"

I re-experienced F-15 just a bit over a year ago. I was so shaken, I went rummaging through old CDs for screenies.

Yuppers, it looked that bad, but at the time, it was so good!

There are just so many good old sims that would be truly excellent with a face-lift. EF-2000, USAF, Tornado, I could go on and on.

EECH was a definite candidate, and it looks pretty good now, in EE2, but there are other issues.

Coincidently, there is an article on newstands, starting last week, with a review of EE2. Virtual Pilot, in Flight Journal magazine. You may find it worth a

browse at the store or summat...

Yeah, I just liked the mouse clickable cockpit, the padlock, the runway buster bombs and the balance between arcade game and realism. I've tried Falcon 4 but got frustrated with the millions of patches etc. Is allied force worth while? Does the game finally benefit from dual processors? I like IL2 but want a modern sim. I never got in to Lock on because the GUI interface just didn't do it for me. Maybe when I build my new DX10 machine I'll go back.

I just plopped in an 8800 GTS, 2.6 GHz duo-core AMD Opteron, and another Gig of RAM. Bring on the DX10!

Er, wait, I have to use Vista? Maybe on the laptop, but not on my gamer rig, no sirree! :D

Back in the day I was way into Falcon 4, but when I tried Allied force, though it looked good and all, I just did not have the patience to relearn it all again.

After I reviewed it, I dropped in frustration. No, wrong word, lack of enthusiasm. Yeah, that's it.

I burnt out on LOMAC, as I beta tested it for over a year. Have yet to fire up the full version since. You can only run through the canned missions so many times...

Hi Mike,

Welcome to our forum :)

Yes, we've all gone through the shock of reloading our beloved sims only to find that our memories really had painted a far rosier picture than the reality. I loved F15 Strike Eagle III. Neddie Seagoon and I used DOSBox to get it running again....yikes! not what we remembered :D

Here's a list of our famous "Getting old sims to run on XP" threads:

Getting Older DOS Games to Run on WinXP:

So, you want to go all pointy-nosed again, huh? Well, I'm no jet expert, but I think that Allied Force is a far simpler install. It's pretty much good to go out of the box. Maybe a patch or two, but nothing like the old Falcon 4.0 mess. Third Wire's Strike Fighters: Project 1 / Wings over Vietnam / Wings over Europe series is worth checking out. I've only played it briefly, but it has a good following. I can't comment on LOMAC because I've never flown it other than the demo.

For now, I think that's about it. Am I forgetting anything, guys? :unsure:

Thanks for the welcome. I'm going to build a Core 2 Duo DX10 PC soon so I'll get back in to Flight Sims then. These days I play DCF (Desert combat final) a mod of BF 1942. I truly think this may be one of the best online games ever.

A few of us were playing the Reality Mod for BF, but I just couldn't get into it. I liked the graphics, but the gameplay was too restrictive for me. I'm more of an Operation Flashpoint fan.