COMBATSIM Forum
kiwi_mark

Vista blues with CFS3

Hi all,

Just got myself a shiny new Vista-based PC and - quelle surprise - it's decided it won't run CFS3.

The error seems to be much reported and suffered out there in the CFS3 user base, so I'm hoping somebody will leap to my rescue here!

I've seen a raft of 'solutions' online, mostly to do with running it as Admin, switching off 'emulation' and so forth. No success with any of them.

My understanding is its something to do with the security tool MS used when they developed CFS3.

Any and all assistance very welcome please!

Cheers

M

Seems to me you have to turn off whatever security routine it is in Vista that "won't allow" programs to execute. I can't remember what it is and I don't have Vista.

Microsoft messing up another Microsoft title?

Gasp!

Say it ain't so! ;)

I have Vista on a laptop that barely meets specs for web-surfing, word-processing, and other low-end dealios. It is mostly to check out this OS, but to this point

it kicks my tailfeathers on a lot of stuff.

The old ME release was a breeze compared to this user un-friendly steaming pile, IMHO.

CFS3 won't get it on this rig, so no help here.

I ran addross a post where Microsoft is offering a downgrade from Vista to XP.

You've got to be kidding!

I have gotten CFS3 to work on Vista OS,but I did it around Xmas '08,or a year or more after the last posts here.EAW-no.I haven't tried falcon 4.0 yet but Falcon 3.0 wont run in fullscreen(it says) and then clonks out.A lot of other Microprose* games don't work either.

*I know, Spectrum Holobyte did 3.0 but apparently Microprose bought them before dying off themselves.

For those old rascals, I'd recommend DOS-Box.

Tried a few of the old pre-GPU sims and they look horrendous, but do play.

Amazing to think how far sims have finally gotten, but they are now all but non-existent in the marketplace.

New FPS, anyone? :rolleyes: