COMBATSIM Forum
rico

1, 2 or 3 ???????????

I opted for EAW instead of CFS1. I did buy CFS2 because it had carriers and the Pacific theater, but it had problems, especially if you taxied too close to another aircraft. CFS3 had such a bad reputation that I avoided it and ended up going to the Il2 series. So, by default, I'd have to pick CFS2.

2 hands down

I really liked the damage effects in CFS2. Loved hitting those Zeros and seeing the smoke and flames streaming out of them. That was about all I liked, though :D

They're all Microsloth products. :angry:

They don't install properly, they give you a couple of BSOD during the run, and if you do get them to run properly, they suck up all the available free space on your hard drive and all of the CPU's resources.

BE SURE!

But they'll do.............if you like watching, after you shoot them, the AI planes spiral down with shotoff wings hanging on by a thread.

3, but only because you can install the Mediterranian Air War Mod on top of it to produce a halfway decent sim of an often overlooked but significant theatre.

Without MAW, CFS3 is a coaster.

3, but only because you can install the Mediterranian Air War Mod on top of it to produce a halfway decent sim of an often overlooked but significant theatre.

Without MAW, CFS3 is a coaster.

Pardon my newbie naivete,but given that several years seem to pass in between each version being released ( that is correct, is it not ? ), then shouldn't the latest version ALWAYS be better than the earlier ones ? If not, then why not ?

Pardon my newbie naivete,but given that several years seem to pass in between each version being released ( that is correct, is it not ? ), then shouldn't the latest version ALWAYS be better than the earlier ones ? If not, then why not ?

Micro$ofts flagship simulators have always been civilian. They attempted to enter the sim market we know by, in my honest opinion, slapping machine guns and some hard points to civilian stuff, added some stuff to make it look all WWII-ish, called it a combat flight simulator and shipped it. The only milage I ever got out any of them was 3 and only because of Over Flanders Field. And now that is a fifty dollar download. CFS2 was on my harddrive longest tho because it was Pacific based, had my beloved Corsair and had my beloved Corsair. Did I mention it my beloved Corsair. Anyway, it definately had issues that Micro$oft never wanted to fix. Now couple that with a new design team with each installment, and Gates and company being arrogant and "knowing what you want", you get a rushed product because after three you'd think they knew what they were doing, which they didn't.

Micro$ofts flagship simulators have always been civilian. They attempted to enter the sim market we know by, in my honest opinion, slapping machine guns and some hard points to civilian stuff, added some stuff to make it look all WWII-ish, called it a combat flight simulator and shipped it. The only milage I ever got out any of them was 3 and only because of Over Flanders Field. And now that is a fifty dollar download. CFS2 was on my harddrive longest tho because it was Pacific based, had my beloved Corsair and had my beloved Corsair. Did I mention it my beloved Corsair. Anyway, it definately had issues that Micro$oft never wanted to fix. Now couple that with a new design team with each installment, and Gates and company being arrogant and "knowing what you want", you get a rushed product because after three you'd think they knew what they were doing, which they didn't.

Thanks for your helpful reply, compadre ! Reading your comments about them, I had no idea that MS took no better care of their customers than they appear to have done. Again, I must stress my newbie naivete (see below) , but given the dearth of good PC combat sim games featuring WW2 scenarios and appropriate aircraft (including that bent wing bastard you love so much ! ), I am surprised that Microsofts CFS games are no better regarded than they are. Their first game certainly got me started about eight years ago, and apart from European Air Wars and Sturmovik I haven't yet found any other games of this type that are on a par with MS CFS. I am returning to combat sims now**, and had hoped that the intervening 4 year gap might have thrown up some new top notch games in the WW2 combat sim field, but that appears NOT to be the case !

** being prompted to do so mainly by the arrival of wireless joysticks, being able to use a suitable laptop and my building a house extension that'll take a plasma screen the size of a semi !