#1 ouch

ouch

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:18 AM

Hi all,

I have a old thrustmaster fcs and wcs Mk1 that I got second hand in a box of "junk". It did not have manuals and all the websites I have found have either been dead links or have conflicting information.

The joystick part (fcs) has a PS2 keyboard passthrough and a joystick port on the front while the wcs has a joystick plug on the end of the cable.

It would seem that I plug the wcs plug into the soundcard and the fcs into the keyboard PS2 motherboard port.

Set up like that the fcs joystick would not work and I cannot find how to connect this upto my computer.

I am running XPPro.

Yes I know it's a old stick but would like to get it going until I can afford something a bit better.

Any help or a scan of the manual would be much appreciated.

#2 The Dude

The Dude

Muhuhuhaha!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,831 posts
  • Interests:Krabby Patties

Posted 20 July 2008 - 12:13 AM

I think you plug the WCS Mk1 into the joystick.

Plug the joystick's PS2 plug into the PS2 port on the computer, then plug your keyboard into that.

Plug the joystick's gameport plug into the gameport on your sound card. If your sound card doesn't have a gameport on it, it might be in the box that came with your computer or sound card (sometimes the gameport is an optional addon that you can stick onto the sound card or just leave off).

Once you get everything plugged in, start your computer and go to the control panel and and click on "Game Controllers".

Click "Add" and choose a generic 3-axis 4-button joystick. Calibrate. You should be good to go. :thumbsup:

I hope I got that all correct...I'm totally going off memory ... and that's not all that great :lol:

Let us know if that works for you.

#3 mane_raptor

mane_raptor

General

• Charter Member
  • 10,760 posts
  • Location:Great North Woods, Maine, USA, Where Men are Men and Moose are nervous.

Posted 20 July 2008 - 06:59 AM

Plug the joystick's PS2 plug into the PS2 port on the computer, then plug your keyboard into that.

Plug the joystick's gameport plug into the gameport on your sound card. If your sound card doesn't have a gameport on it, it might be in the box that came with your computer or sound card (sometimes the gameport is an optional addon that you can stick onto the sound card or just leave off).

Once you get everything plugged in, start your computer and go to the control panel and and click on "Game Controllers".

Click "Add" and choose a generic 3-axis 4-button joystick. Calibrate. You should be good to go. :thumbsup:

I hope I got that all correct...I'm totally going off memory ... and that's not all that great :lol:

Your memory is correct, Dude.

Mane, the Unofficial CSim Thrustmaster Snob. :P
check six and aim for the cockpit

#4 ouch

ouch

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:45 PM

OK thanks guys that is what I thought, but I seem to not have all the parts. The joystick does not have a gameport lead, only PS2 it does have a gameport connector on it though.

Hopefully this picture will make it clearer:

Posted Image

I am guessing that it has another lead that connects the joystick to the soundcard and has a pass through for the wcs?

I also have a USB sterring wheel with pedals, can this be used in conjunction with the TM?

@mane_raptor, do you own one of these?

#5 mane_raptor

mane_raptor

General

• Charter Member
  • 10,760 posts
  • Location:Great North Woods, Maine, USA, Where Men are Men and Moose are nervous.

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:51 AM

Yea I do or did. I think I still got the stick around here somewhere. As for the throttle, I took that apart for parts sometime ago and used them on a re-build of an old FLCS.

Looking at the pic, does bring back some thoughts.

The throttle does connect to the stick, I'm sure, because that seems to be prettry standard with TM products, and the keyboard connects to the back of the thingmie that comes off the stick, and that connects to the PS2 keyboard connection.

I think...................... :huh:

Give me some time here, I might just have some sort of documentation stashed away from back when I owned a set. I'll search around and see if I can get the actual set up from that.

I do know that depending on the sound card, the gear may not work using the sound card's gameport. There was an issue with port polling timing.

Also, be aware that TM made a set that worked with Mac's and the difference maynot be noticable.

#6 ouch

ouch

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:23 AM

Also, be aware that TM made a set that worked with Mac's and the difference maynot be noticable.

Bingo! (and darn!) Had a look through my old HW collection and found a MAC keyboard, it is 4 pin din plug and the joystick plugged straight into it.

Had a look inside the stick and looks to be too much to convert to a PC. Guess I'll just add it to my collection, might be worth something in 20 years!

Thanks for all your help.

I have been looking around the site it has lots of great advice, tips and ideas thanks to all involved.

#7 mane_raptor

mane_raptor

General

• Charter Member
  • 10,760 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:29 AM

Don't give up yet.

Check around the internets, there might be an adaptor that would work.

#8 Gonzo

Gonzo

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:02 PM

Bingo! (and darn!) Had a look through my old HW collection and found a MAC keyboard, it is 4 pin din plug and the joystick plugged straight into it.

Had a look inside the stick and looks to be too much to convert to a PC. Guess I'll just add it to my collection, might be worth something in 20 years!

Thanks for all your help.

I have been looking around the site it has lots of great advice, tips and ideas thanks to all involved.

If you are feeling particularly handy someday, you might think about replacing the electronics with one of the many joystick controllers available on the Interwebs. Just remove the circuit boards, keep the 15 pin connector from the throttle to the stick and place the new controller in the stick, then replace the keyboard cable with a USB cable.

You would then have a pretty cool retro HOTAS.