COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Red

Bloody good invention

Car Phone diverter

I'd buy the people involved a beer for this nifty gadget well done all round......and they where Canucks as well

I can't tell you the number of times I've wanted to stop someone, un-glue their cell phone from their ear and stick it where it belongs. People are now trying to drive and text message at the same time, Virginia tried to pass a law banning such activities and it did not pass!. :banghead:

:biteme: @ Donster :D

We DO have law against cell phone use when driving......the protested before it was enacted because thay said they would never be able to enforce it....and why have laws that are basically meaningless. I see no difference in the numbers of asshats driving about gabbing on their phones ( or usining their %^$%#%& blackberries) sinec the law was put in place

Need to cobble something up that will used directional ECM, sorta like a cell phone gun. Just point it at the car, and bzzzzzz no cell phone. Be nice to use something else on the idiot tying up traffic, but ya might go to jail over that one.

Boats

Need to cobble something up that will used directional ECM, sorta like a cell phone gun. Just point it at the car, and bzzzzzz no cell phone. Be nice to use something else on the idiot tying up traffic, but ya might go to jail over that one.

Boats

Good idea, but I'd like to point it at the car, and bzzzzzz no more car. :ph43r:

I want something like that for these punk kids and their rolling boom-box on wheels. Something that would blow their speakers completely out.

I like Boat's idea , it would take out the phone , radio stereo win win all round

I want something like that for these punk kids and their rolling boom-box on wheels. Something that would blow their speakers completely out.

This would probably do the trick...

LAV_25-01.jpg

:ph43r:

A gentleman I used to work with is a Physics PhD and former university lecturer. He told me once about some grad students who ripped the magnetron out of a microwave oven, and mounted under the hood of their car at the focal point of a small satellite dish, to focus the rays forward. They then hooked up a fairly substantial capacitor to the car's alternator, and to the magnetron.

The idea was, they could flip a switch to unload the charge on the capacitor and fire microwaves out the front of their car... specifically to fry police radar. According to my old colleague, it worked. One day they had a cop looking at his radar gun with a puzzled expression as they went past.

They hurriedly dismantled the system.

Pie in the sky? Perhaps. This guy was prone to tall tales. It sounds feasible to me, though, and it might be the solution to shutting down mobile phones being used illegally... :P

The Discovery Channel show "Mythbusters" tackled the tale of the magnetron defeating radar. It didn't work.

Did the guys drive a De Lorian by any chance?

No, it was a run-of-the-mill sedan. Might have actually been their old Cadillac that made numerous appearances before being dropped a couple of hundred feet onto concrete to simulate a head-on collision.

Mythbusters, that's a joke. The concept is valid, that's how radar jammers work. The devil is of course in the details. The frequencies must match for one, and there needs to be a rather large amount of energy sent out by the jammer. Not something that a microwave magnetron is capable of doing. Same thing for the cel phone, if you can send out enough energy on the cel's frequency, bye-bye cel. My concern would be that the idiot driver's reaction would make the situation worse. At least with a phone to his ear he's pretending to drive, with a dead phone what's the first thing he's going to do? Pull it down in front of his face and look at it. Making a bad situation worse.

I've taken to carrying a small sign, I honk and hold up the "Hang up and Drive" sign. Gets a reaction at least. California just enacted a hands free law, so no more holding up to the ear, but now everyone has those stupid ear bud bluetooth gizmos, so it doesn't help.

those stupid ear bud bluetooth gizmos

I remember the first time I ever saw one of those. I was in an airport departure area and this dude was standing there haveing a loud argument and gesturing wildily to nobody at all. My first thought was to call security becasue this guy was NUTS...but I realized he one of these gizmoes in his ear and was bitching at somebody on the other end.

Can I just say what I think about people who wear those earbud blue tooth thingmies?

:rofl:

I don't care how ubiquitous they become, they seem awfully silly to me. About the only time the use of one seemed valid to me was when my cable TV guy came to install my PVR. He had one, and it was really great while he was talking to the main office as he was troubleshooting the finicky PVR. He was under my TV stand, with a flashlight, and he was pressing buttons and asking them if such and such was happening back at the main office. In that one case, it seemed perfectly suited to the task at hand. In any other case, not so much. And yeah, they always seem to be used by loud mouthed schmucks who seem to think that we think it's cool to hear them talking loudly about top-executive matters.

One day, I saw these identical twins, dressed in suits, eating lunch at a local cafe, and they both had a blue tooth in their ear. I wanted to just stop and point at them and laugh hysterically.

I'm wearing one of them ear bud dealios right now, as I type.

Not the blue-tooth, which people look like Borgs to me, but a USB earbud, clipped to my collar.

This way I can go work on systems and still answer the phone anywhere in the building, or down the street even.

I don't keep the damned thing in my ear, but close by, in case it rings. It rocks to have mobility, so I'm not chained to the desk, and actually get things done...

It's really annoying, incredibly rude, and self-centered to be answering cell phone calls in a restaurant, theater, or church. Dumb ass? Oh, yes, and that's putting it mildly.

It's really annoying, incredibly rude, and self-centered to be answering cell phone calls in a restaurant, theater, or church. Dumb ass? Oh, yes, and that's putting it mildly.

Agreed!