98 replies to this topic

#81 2daMax

2daMax

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:32 PM

Spear, thanks for the replies. I am now less ignorant.

I manage to take off in the training mission, and then landed without much incident. I guess, I still have some of the old virtual pilot skills in basic maneuvers.

The graphics still doesn't look good in D2D. I will try out the glide wrapper and hope it brings in more eye candy.

On dog fighting skills, thanks for the advice. I remember years ago when I was a better pilot, I could dog fight most of the fighters except EF2000 and F22, which I can't seem to shake off my 6. The only time I beat the F22 was I went out to 3rd person view to view where the enemy F22 was, and I avoided being riddled by turning away at the right time. I finally defeated it when I went into a sharp dive, twisting and turning to get out of his gun sights and then at the very last minute, did a pull up before hitting the dirt. The enemy F22 could not pull up on time and crashed. I could see the F22 was using Thrust Vectoring and getting in the sharp turns needed to stick to my tail. Now, I am happy to be just able to fly and fire a missile, which I can't even remember which keys yet.

And also, being recently married, my gaming time is very limited. Any tips u guys use to get an excuse to fly that works on the wifey?

#82 germanpilot

germanpilot

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:57 AM

There s no excuse!
Belive me,having a family is most important thing in the whole world.
Living together in harmony is what makes a man really strong.
Tell your wife about your feelings and passions and always ask about her feelings,too.
If she really loves and respects you, she will respect your flightsim passion. ( But you ll have to respect her own passions ,too!)
Always look that there s something you can share with your wife. ( Like going dancing, doing sports together etc...)
It took me long time to manage this, and i ve lost a family because of egoistic wishes. :-(
Maybe you could teach her flying for doing some dogfights??? ;-)

And also, being recently married, my gaming time is very limited. Any tips u guys use to get an excuse to fly that works on the wifey?
[/quote]

#83 Spear

Spear

Captain

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:29 AM

Tell your wife about your feelings and passions and always ask about her feelings,too.
If she really loves and respects you, she will respect your flightsim passion.

yeah and hopefully, she'll also let you buy that $90 Saitek X52 flight control system. :rofl:
jokes aside, what GP said is true -- but still, she should respect your passions, whatever they are.

#84 2daMax

2daMax

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:42 AM

thanks guys for the advice. Not only flight advice but family advice u get here.

She was shocked to see me pull out my CH Pro Throttle, CH Flightstick Pro, and a Genius F23 joystick. She couldn't figure out what the throttle was for. The Genius F23 replaces my worn out CH joystick. Mechanically it is still good but the pots inside is not doing too well. I don't have the heart to throw it away. I even played FIFA soccer game with it. It's the only stick that didn't have its springs snapped. I've been through quite a number of cheap sticks and they all broke within 3 weeks of intense soccer game.

The F23 has a POV, 4 buttons on the stick, another 4 programmable buttons on the base, a throttle and a rudder (non centering). Basically a 4 axis, 4 buttons and POV joystick. The build quality is not as good as the American made ones. I didn't use it much, so that is why it is still alive. I anticipate it won't last if I dog fight one of u guys (eh hemmm when I have picked up some skills). The moment u see me flying like a sitting duck, then u know, my stick is gone.

Saitek X52 for $90? Hey, I don't mind paying that price. Are u guys in Europe or USA? I can't find any such great HOTAS here. The nearest place is Singapore and the price is much higher. (Too many middle man, import duties, freight charges all add in). On top of that, there's a 3% GST (Like the UK VAT taxes). I can easily get Logitech sticks here but no throttle device. If u guys do see any on-line sale that ships internationally on the Saitek, do let me know.

Lastly, on eye candy with the wrapper. How do I set the F22 2008 so that I can activate the glide wrapper and be in Glide Mode? When I install F22 2008 v1, it doesn't set to Glide right(?), and therefore the F22.dat is not a Glide ready. Am I correct in this assumption. If that is the case, how do I make the F22.dat "glide" ready so that I can use the wrapper? I couldn't follow some of the instructions. Seems like it needs a F22.dat in glide and not D3D F22.dat in order to use the wrapper. The anti-aliasing is not that good in D3D mode.

Can't wait to try out the wrapper tonight. I've got a 8800GTX card that is under utilized.

#85 Spear

Spear

Captain

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:10 AM

TAW comes in 2 flavors: Direct3D and Glide -- they are separate.
Glide wasn't included in v.1R, because at that time I had no experience, didn't know of the wrapper,
and after all, for some reason, it won't work at all on my specs -- but I don't care.

anyway, you should download v.1.5B2 -- but if you can't, here's a small "patch",
with the Glide version of the executable and the wrapper.
I packed some extra files as well:
http://milledrive.co...es/17514/gl.zip

have any problems, post here.

#86 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:51 AM

thanks guys for the advice. Not only flight advice but family advice u get here.

She was shocked to see me pull out my CH Pro Throttle, CH Flightstick Pro, and a Genius F23 joystick.

Saitek X52 for $90? Hey, I don't mind paying that price. Are u guys in Europe or USA? I can't find any such great HOTAS here. The nearest place is Singapore and the price is much higher. (Too many middle man, import duties, freight charges all add in). On top of that, there's a 3% GST (Like the UK VAT taxes)

Lastly, on eye candy with the wrapper. How do I set the F22 2008 so that I can activate the glide wrapper and be in Glide Mode? When I install F22 2008 v1, it doesn't set to Glide right(?), and therefore the F22.dat is not a Glide ready. Am I correct in this assumption. If that is the case, how do I make the F22.dat "glide" ready so that I can use the wrapper? I couldn't follow some of the instructions. Seems like it needs a F22.dat in glide and not D3D F22.dat in order to use the wrapper. The anti-aliasing is not that good in D3D mode.

Can't wait to try out the wrapper tonight. I've got a 8800GTX card that is under utilized.

2daMax,

Looks like you have a nice setup. Have you tried TrackIR (or Freetrack, for that matter)?

If it's hard to get TrackIR in the WESTPAC, I'm sure you can get (or already have) a webcam and some infrared LEDs.

look at this link

Head tracking now works with beta 2. I know 100Mb is a big download for you, but IMHO beta 2 has improvements that are well worth it, especially if you decide to use head tracking.

If not, then the link that Spear provided you is a good one.

BTW, the "dgvoodoo settings for TAW.txt" file is one you should look at. I run a 7950GX2 with those settings, so you'll definitly be happy with an 8800. The nice thing is that you can still force the AA and ansio filtering, image quality, et al from the nVidia control panel and it still works on top of the glide wrapper.
-Home Fries

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stuart Mill

The average Naval Aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Posted Image

#87 2daMax

2daMax

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:08 PM

Thanks for all the help.

I've not tried it, actually just knew about it days ago and until I went to the url, I didn't know exactly what it is. It would be great to have this setup. Will try it but not now. Now, the important thing is to have a workable setup and mastering the flight controls. Wow, my TO-DO list is expanding pretty fast. My regret is that I shouldn't have stop playing TAW, or fly it once in a while to keep the intuition going.

Oh yes, I have d/l the 1.5Beta2. Broadband was behaving pretty well last night and the d/l was around 40kb/s, so it took me about an hour to get the file. But I haven't installed it, as my wife was browsing the net. I really can't wait to get the glide wrapper working to get 1600 x 1200 display.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

#88 2daMax

2daMax

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:51 AM

Got the BETA2 working under Glide. It is awesome!

Will configure my throttle next. Hope the thing still works and programmable.

#89 cOkistOs

cOkistOs

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:51 AM

Hi!
F-22 2008! Rocks.

I liked the V1 release, and achieved level 5, and finished the level 5 campaign (the one on the bottom of the list).

I was very exiting to try the V1.5 release, unfortunately, there was a problem. RapidShare displayed this error:

This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information.

Another thing, how can I contribute to this awesome project?

Thanks Guys

#90 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:02 PM

Hi!
F-22 2008! Rocks.

I liked the V1 release, and achieved level 5, and finished the level 5 campaign (the one on the bottom of the list).

I was very exiting to try the V1.5 release, unfortunately, there was a problem. RapidShare displayed this error:

This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information.

Another thing, how can I contribute to this awesome project?

Thanks Guys

Thanks for the compliment! We aim to please.

Regarding your mirror issues, I attempted the both rapidshare mirrors as well as the milleshare mirror and had no problems with the download (and the rapidshare account isn't mine). However, I did notice that the filesavr mirror died; I've been having some issues with them of late. I am re-uploading 1.5b2 to filesavr so you can give that a go if rapdishare doesn't play well with others.

As far as help goes, I'd love to have some. If you have any skills in palettes or hex-editing, please let me know. If you don't I could still use plenty of testing. Download the Multiplayer ADF/RSO missions and give them a run, looking for the things I specified in that thread.

Thanks again!
-Home Fries

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stuart Mill

The average Naval Aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Posted Image

#91 cOkistOs

cOkistOs

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:27 AM

in that thread.

I did not know about it, now I do, Thanks

#92 cOkistOs

cOkistOs

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:36 AM

in that thread.

#93 cOkistOs

cOkistOs

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:38 AM

in that thread.

#94 Demagol

Demagol

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:33 AM

Hi, could you please reupload the game? The link in the first post no longer works :(.

#95 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 4,563 posts
  • Interests:Fight Sims, Motorbikes, Grand-children and a favorite Neighbour.

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:12 PM

Hi, could you please reupload the game? The link in the first post no longer works :(.

Go here:
http://combatsim.inv...showtopic=20202

Custom built PC:Hardware:

Gigabyte Ultra Durable 3 GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard, Intel ® i7 920 2.67Ghz CPU, 8Gb Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX275 (896Mb mem) video card with Direct X9c, Realtek ALC850 sound circuitry, Samsung 21"(4x3)Flat LCD, TM Cougar joystick, TrackIR 3Pro, Logitech G330 Headset, ConnectAccess621 ADSL2/2 Router.

Partitioned HDD:

Software, 1st partition: XP Home SP3 32bit OS  with3.25Gb available memory running TAW2.0 Ed:2.20 Baseline + 2.21 Patch + 2.22a Patch + 2.30beta4, nGlide Wrapper 1600x1200 (Gamma Correction 1.2).

Software, 2nd partition: Vista Home Premium SP2 64bit OS with 6Gb available memory running DCSWorld plus DCS FC3.

Spoiler

MSI GE60 OND-288AU Notebook:Hardware:

15.6" (16 x 9) 1920 x 1080 HD anti-glare LCD screen, Intel ® Core ™ i7-3630QM 3rd Gen 3630QM Intel Core X64-based CPU, Intel HM76 Chipset with Turbo Drive Engine and Cooler Boost Technology, 16Gb DDR3 1600MHz Memory in two slots, NVIDIA Geforce GTX660M 3D Graphics Card with Direct X11, 2Gb GDDR5 Graphics VRAM, 750Gb SATA 7200 rpm HDD, Blue-Ray Optical drive, Saitek X52 joystick (alternatively, MS Sidewinder), Sierra USB Telstra 4G wireless modem (or WiFi in Bali).

Software: Win8.1 64-bit OS with 15.9Gb available memory running TAW2.0 Ed:2.20 Baseline + 2.21 Patch + 2.22a Patch + 2.30beta4 Patch, nGlide Wrapper 1920 x 1080 (Gamma Correction 0.7) Res. and DCSWorld plus DCS FC3.

Spoiler

#96 Demagol

Demagol

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:16 PM

OK, sorry, I started downloading the latest version, I was in a rush before, so sorry for a needless post.

#97 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:46 PM

OK, sorry, I started downloading the latest version, I was in a rush before, so sorry for a needless post.

No problems ........ enjoy ;)

Gigabyte Ultra Durable 3 GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard, Intel ® i7 920 2.67Ghz CPU, 8Gb Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX275 (896Mb mem) video card with Direct X9c, Realtek ALC850 sound circuitry, Samsung 21"(4x3)Flat LCD, TM Cougar joystick, TrackIR 3Pro, Logitech G330 Headset, ConnectAccess621 ADSL2/2 Router.

Partitioned HDD:

Software, 1st partition: XP Home SP3 32bit OS  with3.25Gb available memory running TAW2.0 Ed:2.20 Baseline + 2.21 Patch + 2.22a Patch + 2.30beta4, nGlide Wrapper 1600x1200 (Gamma Correction 1.2).

Software, 2nd partition: Vista Home Premium SP2 64bit OS with 6Gb available memory running DCSWorld plus DCS FC3.

Spoiler

15.6" (16 x 9) 1920 x 1080 HD anti-glare LCD screen, Intel ® Core ™ i7-3630QM 3rd Gen 3630QM Intel Core X64-based CPU, Intel HM76 Chipset with Turbo Drive Engine and Cooler Boost Technology, 16Gb DDR3 1600MHz Memory in two slots, NVIDIA Geforce GTX660M 3D Graphics Card with Direct X11, 2Gb GDDR5 Graphics VRAM, 750Gb SATA 7200 rpm HDD, Blue-Ray Optical drive, Saitek X52 joystick (alternatively, MS Sidewinder), Sierra USB Telstra 4G wireless modem (or WiFi in Bali).

Software: Win8.1 64-bit OS with 15.9Gb available memory running TAW2.0 Ed:2.20 Baseline + 2.21 Patch + 2.22a Patch + 2.30beta4 Patch, nGlide Wrapper 1920 x 1080 (Gamma Correction 0.7) Res. and DCSWorld plus DCS FC3.

Spoiler

#98 Bob

Bob

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:39 PM

Hi,

The file is no longer available at the link provided (http://rapidshare.co...8-v1R-setup.rar).

Is there another place to get it?

Thanks,
Bob

#99 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:51 AM

Hi,

The file is no longer available at the link provided (http://rapidshare.co...8-v1R-setup.rar).

Is there another place to get it?

Thanks,
Bob

Is there any reason you are not downloading TAW2.16a?

Here: http://combatsim.inv...showtopic=20202

It can do all F22-v1R can do and more. ;)

Partitioned HDD:

Spoiler

Spoiler