494 replies to this topic

#1 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:27 PM

This thread is for reporting and resolving bugs in TAW 2.0.
Keep checking this thread for additional issues and workarounds.

This thread will also double as a FAQ and a repository for bug reports and fixes. We thank you all for downloading TAW 2.0, and we appreciate even more any constructive criticism or assistance you can give us to get this build ready for a final release. Please post all comments to this thread, including whether you use D3D, D3D_1024, or Glide, along with system specifications and operating system.

These are known issues. Most of these issues are also listed in the TAW 2.0 Manual Addendum. Please don't report these in this thread, but feel free to offer any solutions or additional data points.

Added 01NOV12: Windows 8 Issues
Windows 8 has removed the ability to Disable Desktop Composition (i.e. Aero Mode) as part of program compatibility. This is likely to cause issues with the 2D interface for TAW. There is no known fix at this time, though you may have success by running the _f22.exe outside of the TAW 2.0 Launcher.
For compatibility with the original TAW Help file, download your version from here.

Added 24SEP10: Help! I downloaded the file from FileFront and I can't open the file. Windows asks me which program I would like to open the file with. What do I do?
The installer program is a self-contained EXE, so all you should need to do is double click the program to run it. This is what the icon of the file should look like:
Posted Image
If you do not see this icon and cannot start the program by double clicking it, then add the .EXE extension to the end of the file. You should then see this icon appear, and you should then be able to run the installer.
This issue has occurred more often since rebaselining to 2.15b; I'm not sure whether FileFront is the culprit here or not, but the above should be all you need to do to get the TAW 2.0 Installer to work.

Added 24DEC09: The Pilot Utility and Windows 98/ME
The Pilot Utility added in TAW v2.10 will back-up (zip) a pilot profile properly, but on restoration corrupts a datafile that causes a CTD upon loading TAW. This error happens only in Windows 98/ME, and for now it is recommended that you unzip the profile manually into your TAW folder, then manually update the folder address by editing the players.lst.

Added 16OCT09: GME and Windows 98/ME
The latest version (2.3+) no longer works with Windows 98/ME. I have archived a copy of GME 2.2 (the last version to work with Win98/ME), and for Win98/ME users this link is the default (as of 2.02) when you run the Mod Manager from the Main Menu for the first time. Do not try to update GME from within the software itself.

Added 22SEP09: Component MSCOMCTL.OCX or one of its dependencies not correctly registered
Please see the solution in the TAW 2.0 Manual Addendum, or go to http://www.lancelhoff.com.

Added 24SEP09: Component COMDLG32.OCX or one of its dependencies not correctly registered
Please see the solution above, but substitute COMDLG32.OCX for MSCOMCTL.OCX. MSCOMCTL.OCX can be found here. Likewise, you can see the directions here.

UPDATED 22SEP09: For users of Vista and Windows 7:

First of all, do not install to the c:\Program Files folder! The installer defaults to c:\did\F-22 Total Air War 2.0 to deliberately keep you away from the Program Files folder.
Due to the way Vista and Win7 treat the Program Files folder, installing here will likely make you unable to install mods at the very least, and may cause issues with dynamic campaigns at worst.

Additionally, I recommend the following compatibility settings checked:
  • XP SP2 compatibilty mode (not necessary, but i've found fewer headaches with this)
  • Disable Desktop Composition

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) with the TAW 2.0 Main Menu and the TAWBC Mission Enhancer:
Both the Main Menu and the TAWBC Mission Enhancer (TME) uses the Microsoft Common Dialog Control from Visual Basic 6, which predates Data Execution Prevention (DEP) in Windows Vista, Windows 7, and later service packs of Windows XP. As such, you may encounter the program crashing or freezing when selecting the folder path arrow on the File Selection dialog box. This is not a problem with TAWMenu/TME, but merely a compatibility issue which is easily remedied.
The Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit v5.5 has been included with TAW 2.0, and can be found in the !ADP\utilities\Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.5 folder, along with a database called TAW.sdb. All you need to do is install and run the Application Compatibility Toolkit, then enable the TAW.sdb database (this database has been updated with the latest hotfix, and should be reinstalled over the original database).

Likewise, you may manually enter TME.exe and TAWMenu.exe into the database and select "DisableNXShowUI", which will yield the same results.

Radio Chatter/Cockpit Voice (B****ing Betty):
If you cannot hear radio chatter or the cockpit voice, then you likely need to install the TrueSpeech codecs. They are located at "\!ADP\utilities\TrueSpeech_Codecs". You were likely prompted to install them during your TAW 2.0 installation.

Help File:
The game's help file may not be viewable because the HLP format has been replaced with the CHM format. The fix is in the "\!ADP\utilities\WinHelp_Vista" folder; select the version for your kernel (either x86 or x64; choose x86 if you're not sure).

ADDED 22SEP09: Windows 98/ME Compatibility:
While one of the purposes of TAW 2.0 was to provide enhanced compatibility with current hardware and operating systems, the game was originally designed for Windows 95/98. TAW 2.0 still works with Windows 98/ME, though with certain caveats:
  • Eagle Flight's NVG mod is not automatically loaded with the main menu because it does not work properly in Windows 98/ME.
  • You may need to install the Visual Basic 6 runtime libraries, though you should have been prompted to do this upon install. The file is "\!ADP\utilities\VB_Runtime\vbrun60.exe"
  • The TrackIR variants will not work with Win98/ME, as the Visual C++ libraries require 32 bit kernel for installation. Ensure you do not activate the TrackIR checkbox on the Configuration menu.
  • Use of the dgVoodoo Glide wrapper requires at least DirectX 7. If you are running an older DirectX version, you need an OpenGL wrapper (such as Zeckensack's Glide wrapper), a D3D install, or an actual Voodoo Card.
  • Multiplayer has been proven to be compatible between Windows 98 and both Windows XP and Vista. If you are having trouble connecting, update Windows 98 to DirectX 9.0c in order to ensure maximum compatibility with newer operating systems.

Component wmp.dll or one of its dependencies not correctly registered
Running the TAW 2.0 Video from the Main Menu requires Windows Media Player 9 (WMP9) or later. If you do not have WMP9, you can download it from here:
http://www.microsoft...es/default.aspx

Added 27DEC11: As of TAW 2.20, the TAW 2.0 Launcher is incompatible with Windows 98/ME.
This issue will be fixed in TAW 2.21.

ADDED 22SEP09: Possible Stability Issues
Total Air War is a very stable program, and is about as close to rock solid as you can get for a flight simulator that runs well across multiple platforms. However, there are a couple of apparent freezes that may give you pause (no pun intended).
Rarely, though certainly not unheard of, the game may freeze (especially when listening to music in the background). If this happens, you can likely recover by Alt-Tabbing back to your desktop, then back into the game. Do NOT attempt to restart the game.

Blank Screen
Occasionally (or regularly with some video configurations) the screen may go blank at the end of the mission. This is likely not a freeze, but rather the text to End Mission or Cancel Menu is not displaying. Press "E" to end the mission and exit to the menu, or "C" to cancel the menu and continue with the mission.

Regarding this issue, the following was taken from the old DID support page (hat trick to DrKevDog):
Ensure that your Refresh Rate is set at 76hz or below (Control Panel, Display, Settings, Advanced Properties). Go to Control Panel, System, Performance, Graphics. Adjust your Hardware Acceleration bar from Full to None trying different settings in between. Make sure the latest graphics card drivers are installed.

SmartView with Direct3D
In D3D mode (on nVidia cards in particular), using the SmartView (F12) is likely to cause your system to freeze. This is due to how modern operating systems handle AGP calls. The only known solution is to disable AGP Texture Acceleration (though you can keep DirectDraw and Direct3D acceleration enabled) in the DirectX Diagnostic Tool (dxdiag.exe), which should allow Smart View to work. Likewise, you can also run in Glide mode, which doesn't use AGP.

Note that DirectX10 has removed the option to disable AGP Texture Acceleration. If you are using Vista or later, then I recommend running in Glide mode, or avoiding SmartView.

ADDED 22SEP09: MIDI support for Windows XP and later:
While MIDI has been fixed in XP and Vista so it will not crash your system, be aware that you may sometimes get long delays or hang-ups upon exiting TAW 2.0 that may require closing f22.dat from the task manager. Likewise, Creative MIDI synth engines will cause a CTD with TAW 2.0, so you need to use the General MIDI setting. These are not TAW 2.0 issues, but issues in the way modern operating systems address MIDI.

ADDED 22SEP09: Resolution not supported by hardware
"Resolution not supported by hardware" is fairly common on newer video cards, since the default resolution (and the fixed resolution for the demo) is 640x400. You most likely will get this error by attempting to run the demo in D3D on a modern video card. If you go into options and make sure your resolution is set to 800x600, you should be able to run any mission (though the demo still runs at 640x400). The other solution is to run the Glide version with the included Glide wrapper, which defaults to a fixed resolution of 800x600 and will upconvert the demo resolution as well. You can also force the resolution of your choice from within the Glide wrapper.

ADDED 20JUN09: For nForce (nVidia motherboard) users (Network Access Manager):
If you get the message "Failed to Open Service Provider" whenever you try to join or create a multiplayer session, it is likely because you installed the nVidia Network Access Manager (NAM) with your nForce drivers. Make sure you uninstall NAM, though you may leave your actual ethernet drivers intact.

NAM is the utility that advertises being able to SLI your dual Ethernet ports, but in fact it acts like a firewall that works on top of your existing firewall. This creates a lot of problems with outside access that you cannot control (unlike your real firewall, which you can control), and NAM and your firewall often conflict.

It is actually a good Idea to remove NAM whether you play TAW multiplayer or not, as I have experienced this problem with other games.

ADDED 10APR09: Backing up and Recovering Pilots between installs.
The thing to remember is when backing up your pilots, you copy your players folder and the players.lst file located in your main F-22 or TAW folder. The players.lst file is a pointer to the pilots in your players folder. You may also back up your game.cfg file if you wish to retain your settings, though this is not as important because settings are easily updated.

Assuming you reinstalled TAW to the same path as before, restoring your pilots is as easy as copying the original players folder and players.lst to your new F-22 folder. If you installed TAW to a different path, you need to update your players.lst file with the new path for it to work.

Now suppose you remembered to copy your players folder, but forgot about the players.lst file.

The great news is that if you still have your original players folder, you have all the important data you need. Recovery is quite easy.

So assuming you have one pilot saved, here's how you recover:
  • Start with a blank slate or fresh install (don't copy your old player folder just yet).
  • Run TAW and create the name and callsign you would like.
  • Copy your backup players folder to your new F-22/TAW folder.
  • Next time you run F-22/TAW, the player you select should have his old accomplishments.
If you have more than one pilot, then create all of your pilots in the order they were originally created before going to step 3.

In all likelihood, the above steps will work as advertised. If they do not, then you need to go a little deeper.

Whenever you create a new pilot in TAW, it creates a numbered folder in the players folder, starting with zero. So if you have 3 pilots saved, you will have folders 0, 1, and 2 in your players folder. TAW will also add an entry to your players.lst with the name callsign, folder, and associated pilot and squadron pics. The folder name in your players folder must match the folder name listed in players.lst. So if the pilot in the players folder you backed up was in the "2" folder, you can either create 3 pilots (making the last pilot you create the one you want to be the recovered pilot) before going to step 3, or you can create a single pilot in step 2 and rename the "2" folder you wish to restore to "0" and then go to step 3.

You can also edit the players.lst file to rename the folder from "0" to "2" (or whatever your original folder was called) as well.

UPDATED 22SEP09: For Glide users running with Zeckensack's Glide wrapper:
Once you have installed Zeckensack's Glide wrapper, then on the configuration screen, enter the location of configurator.exe in the appropriate dialog box, and save your settings. Then Run TAW 2.0 and try to fly a mission. You will likely CTD; this is expected.

At this point, run Zeckensack's configurator by clicking on the 3DFX icon in the TAW 2.0 Configuration screen. Select "Application Specific Overrides" and scroll down until you see an entry called F22.dat (this entry was created when you first launched TAW 2.0 in Glide mode). Select F22.dat and make the following changes:
  • Resolution: Try High Res
  • Thread Policy: Use Render Thread (this one is crucial to prevent the CTD).
  • Optional - Mipmapping: Generate Mipmaps (works, but I haven't noticed any real difference)
  • Optional - LOD Bias: 0 Lock (often a good idea with modern video cards, but no real difference noticed)
  • Optional - Ansiotropy: 16x (again, this works, but I haven't noticed any real difference)
Finally, set the global high resolution to what you would like, but make sure you do not exceed your monitor's capability. Note that you may not be able to force a higher resolution with the Zeckensack wrapper if it is not a multiple of 800x600 (e.g. 1600x1200). YMMV.

ADDED 28JUL09: If you keep trying to register TAWBC, but you are prompted for the registration screen at startup:
Make sure after you put in your registration info, that you click Register and not Continue. You can tell that you click Register because you will get a message saying that your registration was either a success or a failure. Continue will take you to TAWBC without comment.

ADDED 22SEP09: Compatibility and Deconfliction between TAW versions
Multiplayer is fully compatible between TAW 2.0 and older versions such as TAW 2008. Both TAW 2.0 and TAW 2008 are compatible with the original TAW, provided the host only selects multiplayer missions (either Head to Head or Co-op) from the original TAW. Users of TAW 2.0, TAW 2008 or the original TAW may host the session.
If you have a copy of TAW (off the original CD) installed on your system, the registry entries may negatively affect how you play TAW 2.0. The installer is designed to remove said registry entries upon detection, but is not working consistently across all systems. If you have TAW installed already, you can remove the following registry entries:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Digital Image Design\TAW]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Digital Image Design\Total Air War]
TAW does not require registry entries in order to run, so assuming you properly edit your registry, you will not be doing your original TAW install any harm.
Start -> Run -> "regedit" -> go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Digital Image Design" and delete the entries.
F-22 ADF Registry entries do not conflict with TAW 2.0 in any way.
If you have cleaned your registry, but still have the original TAW load with your TAW 2.0 install, please ensure that your original TAW CD is not in the drive.

ADDED 27SEP09: CTD when loading or saving ACMI recording.
Loading and saving ACMI recordings brings up the windows common dialog control from within TAW. If you have any explorer shell extensions (or clients implemented as extensions, such as TortoiseSVN), these may be responsible for the crash. Try to disable any shell extensions, then re-attempt to load or save an ACMI recording.

ADDED 28SEP09: TAWBC "Cannot find x:\did\Total Air War 2.0players.lst" error:
This error is due to a bug in the installer that did not properly insert the final backslash (after 2.0) in the tawbc.ini file. To fix this error from within TAWBC, select SETUP, then find the tbcp.exe file located in your TAW 2.0 folder. Selecting this file will properly update your tawbc.ini datafile.
UPDATED 24DEC09: This error should be obsolete with a clean install of TAW 2.10

Added 28JAN10: When I use dgVoodoo with my ATI card, I get a blue glow surrounding my HUD fonts.
This issue directly relates to how newer ATI cards work with Direct3D7, and to current knowledge only applies when D3D7 is the chosen renderer and a resolution other than 800x600 is selected in dgVoodoo.

To fix this issue, select Direct3D9 as your renderer API on the first dgVoodoo tab.

Added 14MAY10: Whenever I try to start TAW, i get the following error message "Can't find file d:\pcx\background\bg02.pcx" (where d: is the CD-Rom drive).
You need to remove your original ADF CD from the CD-Rom drive. Likewise, if you start TAW 2.0, but everything looks like the original TAW (and you don't have the Nostalgia Mod enabled), make sure your TAW CD is not in the drive.

Additional Known Issues:
  • Some text in the virtual cockpit (F1 view) is unreadable (particularly on the upper left and right MFDs). This is because hudfont size 6 is as small as it goes right now. If someone knows how to edit fonts in the simulator and create a HUD font 5, we might be in business.
  • In D3D mode on modern video cards, the moving map will display as corrupted when zoomed in. This has been a known issue for years, and we will be doing table dances if somebody figures out how to fix this. If this is too much for you (the corrupted view, not the table dancing), you might want to consider running TAW 2.0 in Glide mode.
  • Multiplayer: Older versions of DirectConnect can sometimes be temperamental, so here's a good rule of thumb: if you can't connect, exit and restart TAW, then try again. I've never seen anything that specifies ports to open, but the server should be able to host a session by opening the standard DirectPlay ports: TCP/UDP 2234, 2300 - 2400, 47624. The author has also successfully used Hamachi to connect with others online, so this might be worth attempting as well.
  • Hawk's Eleven Day Campaign and the single missions in the TAW Battle Commander section do not record success or failure. There are only so many missions that can be tracked by TAW, and the tough decision was made to not enable tracking for these missions.
  • While employing the GBU-24 LGB, if you have your target locked up and get the "SHOOT" cue, but cannot release your weapon, check your EMCON level. You must be at EMCON 3 or higher to release a GBU. This is not a bug, but a design choice.

Edited by Home Fries, 04 January 2013 - 01:35 PM.
Updated Windows 8 Issues

-Home Fries

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stuart Mill

The average Naval Aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Posted Image

#2 The_Nephilim

The_Nephilim

3D Vision Guru

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts
  • Interests:Flight Simulation, The Universe..

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:29 PM

I have a Unusual Bug I believe?? I use a Projector for my Monitor and upon running a mission sometimes my Projecter does NOT pick up the signal and I get a Blank Screen altho the mission is still running as I can hear it. I have to change the input to input 2 then back to input 1 to get the screen image working again??

Not a Deal Breaker just wondering why it does that??

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.3Ghz / CM Hyper 212+ Heatsink / Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 / Corsair XMS 16GB DDR3 memory / eVGA 590 GTX / Rocket Fish 7.1 Sound System / 3 - Acer X1261P NVidia 3d Vision Certified Projectors / 3 - 45" Screens / Cougar HOTAS / Win 7-64bit / nVidia 3D Vision / HAF 932 Full Tower

2095164.png

I would if I could, but I can't, so I won't..- The Nephilim

#3 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:43 PM

I have a Unusual Bug I believe?? I use a Projector for my Monitor and upon running a mission sometimes my Projecter does NOT pick up the signal and I get a Blank Screen altho the mission is still running as I can hear it. I have to change the input to input 2 then back to input 1 to get the screen image working again??

Not a Deal Breaker just wondering why it does that??

Hi Neph,

Does this happen when you go from a 2D screen (like a menu) to the in-game 3D environment, or when you start the game initially? Also, are you using a DVI input to your projector, or something else? What resolution does your projector support (native and max)? Lastly, which version of TAW are you using (D3D/Glide), and at what resolution?
-Home Fries

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stuart Mill

The average Naval Aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.
Posted Image

#4 The_Nephilim

The_Nephilim

3D Vision Guru

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:38 AM

Yes it happens going into the 3d world from the 2D menu.. I use the VGA 15 pin connector.. 1024 x 768 native that is the rez I use. I am using the D3D Version and the 1.5 beta 2 version. this never happened in Vanilla TAW??

Thnx

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.3Ghz / CM Hyper 212+ Heatsink / Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 / Corsair XMS 16GB DDR3 memory / eVGA 590 GTX / Rocket Fish 7.1 Sound System / 3 - Acer X1261P NVidia 3d Vision Certified Projectors / 3 - 45" Screens / Cougar HOTAS / Win 7-64bit / nVidia 3D Vision / HAF 932 Full Tower

2095164.png

#5 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:58 PM

Yes it happens going into the 3d world from the 2D menu.. I use the VGA 15 pin connector.. 1024 x 768 native that is the rez I use. I am using the D3D Version and the 1.5 beta 2 version. this never happened in Vanilla TAW??

Thnx

my guess is that this is due to the resolution change from 8x6 (2D) to 10x7 (3D). I know my projector goes black for a short time when resolutions switch from 480p to 720p using analog component video, so there might be something to do with that. With vanilla TAW, you are staying in 8x6 the entire time, which might explain why this doesnt happen.

Of course, if this doesn't happen with vanilla taw and the 1024 hack, all bets are off.

BTW, what is the native resolution of your projector?
-Home Fries

-John Stuart Mill

Posted Image

#6 The_Nephilim

The_Nephilim

3D Vision Guru

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:54 PM

It does not happen with vanilla TAW and the 1024 rez hack so All bets are Off ;)
something is amiss with the beta?? What I do NOT know..

the Projector is NATIVE 1024 x 768..

2095164.png

#7 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:55 PM

It does not happen with vanilla TAW and the 1024 rez hack so All bets are Off ;)
something is amiss with the beta?? What I do NOT know..

the Projector is NATIVE 1024 x 768..

If you aren't using the TrackIR version, try the following:

Copy the f22.dat (patched to 1024) from your vanilla taw to your beta2 folder. Then try again and let me know what happens. If the same thing happens try it with the 2008 v1R and let me know what happens.

If you copy the f22.dat you successfully use in vanilla TAW and you still have problems, we know it is not the f22.dat file. If you then have no problems running v1R, we can narrow it down to something in v1.5 Beta 2.
-Home Fries

-John Stuart Mill

Posted Image

#8 The_Nephilim

The_Nephilim

3D Vision Guru

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:22 PM

Hi HomeFries I have a small other problem with Beta 2 upon installing when I choose the D3D 1024 x 768 install it appears to install TAW Vanilla?? I had installed it twice to be sure but it did. upon installing just the D3d Version it was the Beta 2 version??

anyhow If I install Vanilla TAW will that interfere with the Beta version??

2095164.png

#9 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:57 PM

Hi HomeFries I have a small other problem with Beta 2 upon installing when I choose the D3D 1024 x 768 install it appears to install TAW Vanilla?? I had installed it twice to be sure but it did. upon installing just the D3d Version it was the Beta 2 version??

anyhow If I install Vanilla TAW will that interfere with the Beta version??

Neph,

You should have no problems with multiple installs, provided you remove the registry entries listed in the first post on this thread. Go ahead and back them up first if you have concerns.

That's weird about the D3D 1024 versus regular D3D. I've looked at the game.cfg files as well as the configuration trees from both 1024 installs, and saw nothing out of the ordinary.

Here's what I would like to know:
  • Are you using the TrackIR or non-TrackIR version of 1024?
  • Did you have another version of TAW or 2008 installed prior to installing the D3D 1024?

Also, one other thing you can try if you're running a 32 bit OS:
  • copy the f22.dat from the \F-22 2008 v1.5 BETA2\!2008_v1.5B2\TAW_Patches_Eng\English_Direct3D folder (\F-22 2008 v1.5 BETA2\!2008_v1.5B2\utilities\TrackIR_Patches\Direct3D-800 if you're using TrackIR)
  • copy TAW_RES.com from \F-22 2008 v1.5 BETA2\!2008_v1.5B2\utilities\D3D_1024x768_Patch to the \F-22 2008 v1.5 BETA2 folder
  • Run TAW_RES and Select 1024x768
  • Run _f22.exe and see if you have the same problems.

Also, if you could post a screenshot of what you see (and please include a shot of the main menu and the Single Missions/Training menu if possible) that might be helpful.

Let me know how it goes.
-Home Fries

-John Stuart Mill

Posted Image

#10 The_Nephilim

The_Nephilim

3D Vision Guru

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:10 AM

Hi, I had installed the Glide version of TAW and I am getting a Vanilla TAW Still?? I had checked the Registry and nothing is there so I uninstalled the other Beta D3D and Removed ALL TAW folders and rechecked the registry and then I rebooted after a reboot I reinstalled the Glide Beta version and it looks like a Vanilla TAW here are some ?Screenshots of the menus:

Posted Image
Shot at 2009-05-07

Posted Image
Shot at 2009-05-07

Posted Image
Shot at 2009-05-07

2095164.png

#11 mikew

mikew

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:59 AM

Strange.

This is what the first screen should like:
Posted Image

#12 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:59 PM

The only thing I can think of is that there's a DID.dat floating somewhere, which is causing the exe to point to the original TAW configs. The presence of a DID.dat will take priority over any extracted data files.
-Home Fries

-John Stuart Mill

Posted Image

#13 The_Nephilim

The_Nephilim

3D Vision Guru

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:01 PM

I had found out what was going on.. I had the TAW CD in the CD Rom drive I guess it was reading that DiD.Dat file from the disk..

2095164.png

#14 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 4,564 posts
  • Interests:Fight Sims, Motorbikes, Grand-children and a favorite Neighbour.

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:05 PM

I had found out what was going on.. I had the TAW CD in the CD Rom drive I guess it was reading that DiD.Dat file from the disk..

Just to add .......... I installed 1.5beta2 D3D1024 into a separate folder (DIDD3D) and made a desktop shortcut. I then installed 1.5beta2 GLIDE into another folder (DIDGLIDE) and made another desktop shortcut. Prior to this I hadn't been quite so careful about setting up new folders for each F22 version. As a consequence the "GLIDE" desktop shortcut would "rush off" and open the first F22.exe it could find and I had 4 for it to choose from: TAW original, F22 2008!, F22 2008 beta2 D3D 1024 and F22 2008 beta2 GLIDE! :unsure: And that was without the TAW CD in the drive! :lol: Have separate folders for each now, each with its own generated desktop shortcut. Bit over the top, but it works.

Custom built PC:Hardware:

Gigabyte Ultra Durable 3 GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard, Intel ® i7 920 2.67Ghz CPU, 8Gb Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX275 (896Mb mem) video card with Direct X9c, Realtek ALC850 sound circuitry, Samsung 21"(4x3)Flat LCD, TM Cougar joystick, TrackIR 3Pro, Logitech G330 Headset, ConnectAccess621 ADSL2/2 Router.

Partitioned HDD:

Software, 1st partition: XP Home SP3 32bit OS  with3.25Gb available memory running TAW2.0 Ed:2.20 Baseline + 2.21 Patch + 2.22a Patch + 2.30beta4, nGlide Wrapper 1600x1200 (Gamma Correction 1.2).

Software, 2nd partition: Vista Home Premium SP2 64bit OS with 6Gb available memory running DCSWorld plus DCS FC3.

Spoiler

MSI GE60 OND-288AU Notebook:Hardware:

15.6" (16 x 9) 1920 x 1080 HD anti-glare LCD screen, Intel ® Core ™ i7-3630QM 3rd Gen 3630QM Intel Core X64-based CPU, Intel HM76 Chipset with Turbo Drive Engine and Cooler Boost Technology, 16Gb DDR3 1600MHz Memory in two slots, NVIDIA Geforce GTX660M 3D Graphics Card with Direct X11, 2Gb GDDR5 Graphics VRAM, 750Gb SATA 7200 rpm HDD, Blue-Ray Optical drive, Saitek X52 joystick (alternatively, MS Sidewinder), Sierra USB Telstra 4G wireless modem (or WiFi in Bali).

Software: Win8.1 64-bit OS with 15.9Gb available memory running TAW2.0 Ed:2.20 Baseline + 2.21 Patch + 2.22a Patch + 2.30beta4 Patch, nGlide Wrapper 1920 x 1080 (Gamma Correction 0.7) Res. and DCSWorld plus DCS FC3.

Spoiler

#15 numsei

numsei

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:47 PM

Hi Home Fries

First of all...Congrats for your wonderful TAW 2008 v1.5 and the 1.51 patch (and all people involved in the work too).

I would like to ask you if it's possible to run the Direct3D TAW 2008 v1.51 in 1280x1024 resolution?
If the answer is yes, then could you explain me, please, how can I do that?

Thank you in advance

#16 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:57 PM

Hi Home Fries

First of all...Congrats for your wonderful TAW 2008 v1.5 and the 1.51 patch (and all people involved in the work too).

I would like to ask you if it's possible to run the Direct3D TAW 2008 v1.51 in 1280x1024 resolution?
If the answer is yes, then could you explain me, please, how can I do that?

Thank you in advance

I won't say it's not possible, but we don't have a way to do 1280x1024 right now.

We were able to get 1024x768 to work by using Manteau's TAW_Res patch, which can be found in the !2008 folder, and we just included the modified exe as one of the install options to keep things simple.

If you can find a way, we'll be happy to drop it in! :thumbsup:
-Home Fries

-John Stuart Mill

Posted Image

#17 frankilvandalo

frankilvandalo

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 05:39 PM

Hi Home Fries, first of all thank you very much for all the fantistic work done with this project ...

I would like to join a multiplayer session but I am experiencing a bug (I have Vista Ultimate 64 bit and all the c++ run-time libraries installed (2005 and 2008 64 and 32 bits) and the latest directX installed), whenever i try to join or crate a multiplayer session via tcp/directlay i always obtain a "failed to open service provider".

I have the same problem with the original version of taw (installed in an win server 2003 virtual machine and than copied in Vista 64)

I want also to signal that i have an nforce 780 mobo with latest nvidia network drivers and that I run the game with winxp sp2 compatibilty mode and in a separate hard-drive.

I think it worked before (i.e: i didn't have this error even if i didn't actually join a session) and am thinking if there is something that could brelated to run-time libraries (reinstalled after a clean up of the system).

Any ideas ?

Thanks again for the excellent work !

FrankIlVandalo
"Honey I forgot to duck !"

- Ronald Reagan (March 1981)

#18 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:01 PM

I want also to signal that i have an nforce 780 mobo with latest nvidia network drivers and that I run the game with winxp sp2 compatibilty mode and in a separate hard-drive.

As a matter of fact, I do have an idea. When you installed your nforce drivers, did you install the Network Access Manager? If you did, you want to uninstall it, as it acts as a second firewall.

I'm not saying that this is the problem, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was. The NAM has a tendency to do stuff like this.

If this fixes the problem, please let me know, so I can add this to the known issues.

Hope this helps.
-Home Fries

-John Stuart Mill

Posted Image

#19 frankilvandalo

frankilvandalo

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:40 AM

As a matter of fact, I do have an idea. When you installed your nforce drivers, did you install the Network Access Manager? If you did, you want to uninstall it, as it acts as a second firewall.

I'm not saying that this is the problem, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was. The NAM has a tendency to do stuff like this.

If this fixes the problem, please let me know, so I can add this to the known issues.

Hope this helps.

Hi Home Fries,

I tried to uninstall the Nvidia Network Manager and it worked (unfortunately i didn't find any games to join in f-22 2008 hamaci group but i guess the time-shift, i play from the Republic of Ireland, didn't help either ;-)).

Anyway you are so much better than many customer supports that you pay for ...

Thanks again for the great work you are doing with this fantastic simulator ...

Frankilvandalo (Matteo).
"Honey I forgot to duck !"

- Ronald Reagan (March 1981)

#20 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:20 AM

Hi Home Fries,

I tried to uninstall the Nvidia Network Manager and it worked (unfortunately i didn't find any games to join in f-22 2008 hamaci group but i guess the time-shift, i play from the Republic of Ireland, didn't help either ;-)).

Anyway you are so much better than many customer supports that you pay for ...

Thanks again for the great work you are doing with this fantastic simulator ...

Frankilvandalo (Matteo).

Glad it worked for you! I haven't really put any effort into organizing events on the Hamachi network; all I've done so far is set up a Teamspeak server. That said, there are people on the network who live on your side of the pond. Go ahead and ask people who are online if they are interested in a game. Likewise, we will probably be trying to set up Friday evening multiplayer sessions, though for you that will be a very early Saturday morning (3am to whenever we quit, which in last night's case was three hours later).
-Home Fries

-John Stuart Mill

Posted Image