Home Fries

TAW 2.0 Known Issues and Bug Reports

529 posts in this topic

I have D3D version 9.0c and I have a VIA/S3 Unichrome Pro IGP. I doubt that it had to do with the hardware since I've used the LANTRIN several times elsewhere without any such problems.

I tend to wonder because you say the computer freezes and requires a restart. Usually when TAW crashes, it reports an error message and goes to desktop, whereas freezes are often driver related.

That's also why I asked about the possibility of the glide wrapper.

Since the crashes seem to be in the same geographical area, please tell me about where this is. If you can, please tell be about where it is on the following map:

tawmap.jpg

The other thing to consider is a Glide install to see if the error still exists.

I encountered the freeze while I was playing a strike mission in campaign 1: Highland. The current allied strategy then was to strike AF targets. I couldn't pinpoint the location on the map you provided, but I've encircled the most likely location in this map:crashxyv.th.jpg

The white circle is where I think the strike mission was. I remember that there were two airstrips in close proximity, one of which had the targets, so the target was most likely within the yellow circle. There were several choppers on the ground, I targeted them one by one with the LANTRIN and right then the freeze happened. So far I haven't been able to recreate the bug elsewhere.

I encountered the freeze while I was playing a strike mission in campaign 1: Highland. The current allied strategy then was to strike AF targets. I couldn't pinpoint the location on the map you provided, but I've encircled the most likely location in this map:crashxyv.th.jpg

The white circle is where I think the strike mission was. I remember that there were two airstrips in close proximity, one of which had the targets, so the target was most likely within the yellow circle. There were several choppers on the ground, I targeted them one by one with the LANTRIN and right then the freeze happened. So far I haven't been able to recreate the bug elsewhere.

Thanks for the input. Was this on Highland?

Hello HF,

I gave TAW2.0 a whirl and I've noticed a minor issue. There used to be glare when you face the sun, but now it doesn't have that effect anymore. Not sure if it's my system, but just letting you know anyways.

Cheers on an awesome release!

Hello HF,

I gave TAW2.0 a whirl and I've noticed a minor issue. There used to be glare when you face the sun, but now it doesn't have that effect anymore. Not sure if it's my system, but just letting you know anyways.

Cheers on an awesome release!

KoiMaxx,

The feature should still be there; I didn't change anything in that dept and had it working on my system.

If you are using glide now and were using d3d earlier, it may be implemented differently, but i assure you it is still there.

KoiMaxx,

The feature should still be there; I didn't change anything in that dept and had it working on my system.

If you are using glide now and were using d3d earlier, it may be implemented differently, but i assure you it is still there.

Hmm... I used Glide from a clean install. Actually, it does work a bit. If I point the center of the HUD a bit over the sun... the glare comes back. Previously, it should work even if just point my head to the sun, now it seems to be relative to the front of the plane. I'll try playing a bit more...

Hmm... I used Glide from a clean install. Actually, it does work a bit. If I point the center of the HUD a bit over the sun... the glare comes back. Previously, it should work even if just point my head to the sun, now it seems to be relative to the front of the plane. I'll try playing a bit more...

I compared this effect with 1.54 and it was visibly different. I'm guessing the natural light transition effect had an influence on this. I'll try to play around with the \lev files and update if I come up with anything.

I compared this effect with 1.54 and it was visibly different. I'm guessing the natural light transition effect had an influence on this. I'll try to play around with the \lev files and update if I come up with anything.

I'm stumped now... I will concede for the time being, but I'll still spend some time on it when I can.

KoiMaxx out... for now

I'm stumped now... I will concede for the time being, but I'll still spend some time on it when I can.

KoiMaxx out... for now

I now concede defeat. I finally found out that having any weapon system camera active (IRST, LANTIRN, WepCam) will cause the sun glare behavior to change drastically. Upon further examination this bug has manifested all the way back to the unextracted vanilla TAW, and most likely hard-coded. Therefore, I release all further claims from this issue... unless of course we finally gain access to the greatly desired source code.

Cheers! or maybe not :banghead:

Missing file report:

I was loading a simple custom mission with a 747 over desert terrain and I receive the following error upon confirming the mission

ss: file .\ss\sud747.SSD not found

version 5.191 by on Nov 16 1998

For your information

Missing file report:

I was loading a simple custom mission with a 747 over desert terrain and I receive the following error upon confirming the mission

For your information

KoiMaxx,

Thanks for the reports. I'll look into the sud747.ssd; I'm betting it's one of those files that hasn't been extracted.

As for the glare, I ran TAW 2.0 with the Nostalgia mod enabled and got the glare you were hoping to get, then I compared both the redxxxx.ini and txt files with no success. I'll take more of a look when I get home tomorrow, as I can narrow down whether it's in the updated 3D files.

I've been away from regular internet access for the past week; didn't want you to think I was blowing you off!

KoiMaxx,

Thanks for the reports. I'll look into the sud747.ssd; I'm betting it's one of those files that hasn't been extracted.

As for the glare, I ran TAW 2.0 with the Nostalgia mod enabled and got the glare you were hoping to get, then I compared both the redxxxx.ini and txt files with no success. I'll take more of a look when I get home tomorrow, as I can narrow down whether it's in the updated 3D files.

I've been away from regular internet access for the past week; didn't want you to think I was blowing you off!

No, not at all... I recall you mentioning in one of the threads that you had some hardware issues recently so I guessed you wouldn't be able to login frequently.

Anyway, about the glare effect... I decided to forego any more examination on the matter after I found out that it manifested since TAW 1.0. I just turn off the MFD cameras to make the bug go away, and it was more of an aesthetic matter than anything. :thumbsup:

I haven't really taken time to do a full coverage check of TAW2.0, but I'll try to post any bugs as they come.

Cheers!

Missing file report:

For your information

I have that file. I'll send it to Home Fries for distribution.

I have that file. I'll send it to Home Fries for distribution.

Got it, DKD. Thanks.

I'll incorporate this and release a hotfix once I sort through the other issues posted within the past week.

No, not at all... I recall you mentioning in one of the threads that you had some hardware issues recently so I guessed you wouldn't be able to login frequently.

Anyway, about the glare effect... I decided to forego any more examination on the matter after I found out that it manifested since TAW 1.0. I just turn off the MFD cameras to make the bug go away, and it was more of an aesthetic matter than anything. :thumbsup:

I haven't really taken time to do a full coverage check of TAW2.0, but I'll try to post any bugs as they come.

Cheers!

KoiMaxx,

It looks like you solved the issue that I didn't even realize existed!

When the LANTIRN is enabled in one of the views, the sun glare is based on where the LANTIRN is pointed, as opposed to where the view is looking. If you point the plane into the sun until you get the glare, then slew the LANTIRN off-bore, then you no longer get glare.

This is definitely an issue with the original TAW graphics engine, and it manifested itself more obviously in 2.0 because I defaulted the UFD to LANTIRN as opposed to IRST (being that LANTIRN seems to be a much more useful display).

I suppose I can set the default back to IRST, forcing people to enable LANTIRN, or just create a mod defaulting IRST for those who prefer it.

EDIT: Hey Homefries I see that you have already added it to the addendum ;)

Also how can I change the default Lantrin view on the up front MFD I prefer to have missile view and use my Attack MFD Now for the Lantrin view ;)

Hey Homefries I had a friend run into a problem with the comdlg32.ocx file missing. If you coud add this to the bug report and post a fix for it as well since it is relativley an easy fix ;)

Also how can I change the default Lantrin view on the up front MFD I prefer to have missile view and use my Attack MFD Now for the Lantrin view ;)

I'll go ahead and change it back to IRST for the patch. In the meantime, you can edit the f22.ins file (in the huddle folder). Find where it says LANTIRNUF (or something like that) and change default to OFF. Then find the Missile view nearby and set default to ON.

Hi I have some problems with textures in cockpit and cities, they are blue :blink:

blue1.jpg

i have ati card hd4650 and tried different drivers but this doesn't resolve the problem

Hi I have some problems with textures in cockpit and cities, they are blue :blink:

i have ati card hd4650 and tried different drivers but this doesn't resolve the problem

What you are seeing is cyan where there is supposed to be transparency (i.e. 0,0,0 pure black in the original textures), since TAW uses chroma-keying for its transparencies.

Given the screenshot, it is appearent that you are using D3D-1024. What you see is likely a driver or driver settings issue, given the nature of the issue. Not being familiar with current ATI drivers, is there something you can do in your driver settings to ensure that chroma keying or texture transparencies are enabled?

You can also try glide mode, which with dgVoodoo has chroma-keying built into the wrapper. With the 4650 you could run dgVoodoo in DX9 mode with the default settings (force resolution to 800x600 for starters, then force higher resolutions after testing the baseline).

Yes in DgVoodoo now working well, only Hud font is little strange but i can live with that. Thanks Home Fries for help and many Thanks for that what you done with this sim :thumbsup:

Yes in DgVoodoo now working well, only Hud font is little strange but i can live with that. Thanks Home Fries for help and many Thanks for that what you done with this sim :thumbsup:

Don't mention it.

For the HUD font, that is fixed by upconverting to a multiple of 800x600 (i.e. 1600x1200), or something close to that. I run Glide in 1600x1200, but I'm dying to get a 1920x1200 Widescreen monitor to play TAW as it should be seen!

Anyone noticed this strange missile/rocket engine sound? Sometimes it is normal but sometimes when we shooting its faulty.

Anyone noticed this strange missile/rocket engine sound? Sometimes it is normal but sometimes when we shooting its faulty.

Yes I have. Not sure what to do about it, though.