Home Fries

TAW 2.0 Known Issues and Bug Reports

529 posts in this topic

No prob! :thumbsup:

@HF

I was having fun with the Additional Missions section (because I glimpsed UFO missions there before) and I kinda was thinking if it were possible to group the UFO series together in that section. Well actually, I already looked into it and it just needs a few lines moved in f22data\simultor.txt.

But it's just a minor cosmetic change and won't affect gameplay at all so it's no priority.

Thanks!

Good idea. Easy enough to do as well.

ADDED 22SEP09: Resolution not supported by hardware

"Resolution not supported by hardware" is fairly common on newer video cards, since the default resolution (and the fixed resolution for the demo) is 640x400. You most likely will get this error by attempting to run the demo in D3D on a modern video card. If you go into options and make sure your resolution is set to 800x600, you should be able to run any mission (though the demo still runs at 640x400). The other solution is to run the Glide version with the included Glide wrapper, which defaults to a fixed resolution of 800x600 and will upconvert the demo resolution as well. You can also force the resolution of your choice from within the Glide wrapper.

Hi! I have this problem but only with current version. TAW 2.02 works fine with 1024x768 resolution but 2.10 crashes when i begin any mission. I'm running Windows XP with SP2

Please help... I really don't like 800x600 and Glide version is unplayable on my computer(game is far too slow)

BTW. Sorry for my English...

EDIT:I dont know what has changed in 2.10 but Glide version works good now but i can play only in 800x600 res

Hi! I have this problem but only with current version. TAW 2.02 works fine with 1024x768 resolution but 2.10 crashes when i begin any mission. I'm running Windows XP with SP2

Please help... I really don't like 800x600 and Glide version is unplayable on my computer(game is far too slow)

BTW. Sorry for my English...

EDIT:I dont know what has changed in 2.10 but Glide version works good now but i can play only in 800x600 res

ADDED 28DEC09: I selected Glide (or D3D 1024) with TAW 2.02, but when I installed TAW 2.10, I get Direct3D 800x600.

This will occur if you install 2.10 over an existing version of TAW 2.0, as the installer code has been updated. Instead of forcing you to choose a version near the end of the install process, TAW 2.0 now checks for the existence of a \Config\tawexe.cfg file. If this file does not exist (such as with a new install), the TAW 2.0 Main Menu will prompt you to choose an EXE.

TAW 2.10 was intended to be freshly installed (as opposed to installed over an existing TAW 2.0 installation). If you installed TAW 2.10 over an existing TAW 2.0 version, then the installer automaticaly overwrote your configuration with the default Direct3D 800x600. To get back to your desired configuration, re-select your desired EXE from the "Graphics and Application Settings" menu, then click on the plane icon to save your settings.

That said, your best bet would be to back-up your important files (including your pilot files and any TAWBC mission files), then uninstall TAW 2.0 and perform a fresh re-install.

Unfortunately I did clean install :(

Then you should have been prompted to select an EXE as soon as you launched the Main Menu.

Did you select the EXE, click on the F-22 icon (to save your settings), and still get D3D 800x600?

If so, make sure that somehow all of your files in the TAW 2.0 folder are not flagged as "read only"

If not, then go into the "Graphics and Applications" menu and select the Glide with dgVoodoo setting, then click the F22 icon and try again.

Lastly, what is your operating system?

I had the same issue. However, extracting manually the glide file to the game's main folder helped me to fix it. I didn't install the program in the default folder. Could that be the origin of the problem?

Thank you very much and excuse me for posting first in the launch announcement post.

I had the same issue. However, extracting manually the glide file to the game's main folder helped me to fix it. I didn't install the program in the default folder. Could that be the origin of the problem?

Thank you very much and excuse me for posting first in the launch announcement post.

The in-game unzipper could be the problem, and was one of the reasons I was exploring the "read only" flag. Unfortunately, the unzip routine I use doesn't have a robust error reporting system, so it is happy to report a successful operation even if it can't overwrite the target file. That's also why I'm asking for as much detail as possible.

You don't need to install to the default folder, just so long as you don't install to c:\program files if you are using Vista or Win7.

Edited by Home Fries
Clarification

Thank you very much for your answer. No, I'm not using Vista or 7, just XP with the latest Service Pack. I'm now at work and I can't test it but, could it be something related with the name of the file to be unzipped? I'll test it when I get back at home.

Again, thank very much, for your answer and for your efforts to bring back this great sim.

Thank you very much for your answer. No, I'm not using Vista or 7, just XP with the latest Service Pack. I'm now at work and I can't test it but, could it be something related with the name of the file to be unzipped? I'll test it when I get back at home.

Again, thank very much, for your answer and for your efforts to bring back this great sim.

When you test, please post your results here.

And you're welcome. Modding TAW is my pleasure.

Added the following to "Additional Known Issues":

While employing the GBU-24 LGB, if you have your target locked up and get the "SHOOT" cue, but cannot release your weapon, check your EMCON level. You must be at EMCON 3 or higher to release a GBU. This is not a bug, but a design choice.

I would not call it an issue; however, after installation of the TAW 2 under following path d:\Games\DID\F-22 Total Air War 2.0 in win7 all the files associated with MS Visual C++ 2008 Redistrib. were copied to my D:\

Is there a place, where I can move those files without affecting the game?

I would not call it issue; however, after installation of the TAW 2 under following path d:\Games\DID\F-22 Total Air War 2.0 all the files for MS Visual C++ 2008 Redistrib. were copied to my D:\

Is there a place where I can move those files without affecting the game?

If you're referring to F-22 Total Air War 2.0\!ADP\utilities\VC++_Runtime\vcredist_x86.exe, this is just the file that is used to install the VC++ files. I have never seen the VC++ files themselves installed to anything except the Windows folder.

If this isn't the case, please post the name and contents of the particular folder on your D drive, and I'll take a look.

HM...Thanks for your reply

I am talking about following files:

eula.1028.txt

eula.1031.txt

eula.1033.txt

eula.1036.txt

eula.1040.txt

eula.1041.txt

eula.1042.txt

eula.2052.txt

eula.3082.txt

globdata.ini

install.exe

install.ini

install.res.1028.dll

install.res.1031.dll

install.res.1033.dll

install.res.1036.dll

install.res.1040.dll

install.res.1041.dll

install.res.1042.dll

install.res.2052.dll

install.res.3082.dll

VC_RED.cab

VC_RED.msi

vcredist.bmp

They are directly installed to my D drive...no folder.

you can go ahead and delete those. They are just files extracted for installation, and are not the system files.

Hey, this may be a known problem but I notice every time I target an enemy ss-23 in the Highland campaign it CTDs. Maybe an easy fix? Its avoidable by not targeting them but thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for the datapoint!

I am having a couple issues with the new install of TAW. I am trying all the fixes mentioned in the thread for getting better graphics resolution.. so far everything I have tried and still the graphics look the same as the original version.

Another problem I found is that some aircraft like the F-117 Stealth Fighter/Bomber are not carrying any ordnance on their missions... In AWACS mode I had some missions (I was in the Somalia with Nukes) where F-117's went on strike runs but when I click on them in the map window, they all report UNARMED in their status display. I watched a couple do an attack run and did not see any weapons fall away nor see any strikes on the actual target.

Other aircraft so far seem to be loaded.

Interesting note about the F-117s. Were you in a dynamic campaign, or were you in one of the ADF/RSO missions (or the AWACS campaign)?

Your answer will let me know which datafiles to examine. I'm going to punt and say that this has to be an issue with the original ADF/TAW as well, but I can certainly look at fixing this. No promises, though, esp. if the problem is in the dynamic campaign.

Since you are a programmer, you might want to take a look at the TAW Wiki. The genius of DID's design (is that like ATM machine? :P ) is that most of the information is read from datafiles rather than existing in code. Most of the datafiles are also in ASCII format. I have dissected some of the file formats on the wiki, so you should take a look at the modding section to see what's out there. While the site is by no means complete, there is enough information there for a good start.

As far as the video goes, I have not yet put them in other locations, though this isn't a bad idea. I'll see about uploading them to the FTP site, and possibly adding a selectable option in the menu code. Check your PM in the meantime ;) .

I have the CTD all the time...I attempted to go through addendum, and it does not help.

I run the v. 2.11 (1024X768 D3d) on Windows7 (64 bit) as Admin and Win XP SP2 compatibility on nVidia 8800 GTX. I am just about give up.

(Not sure how to add the image) but I get the message referencing:

Program fault at 0X02054, cleanup and exiting.

I have the CTD all the time...I attempted to go through addendum, and it does not help.

I run the v. 2.11 (1024X768 D3d) on Windows7 (64 bit) as Admin and Win XP SP2 compatibility on nVidia 8800 GTX. I am just about give up.

(Not sure how to add the image) but I get the message referencing:

Program fault at 0X02054, cleanup and exiting.

The big question is when you get the CTD. Is it when you start up TAW, or when you try to enter a mission?

Here are a couple of things you can try:

1) If the problem is entering a mission, then set TAW to D3D 800x600 and see if you still have the problem (I'm guessing you will, but this is the first thing I always check).

2) If the problem is on startup, then do the following:

* backup, then delete the players.lst file in your TAW 2.0 main folder.

* run TAW and see if you make it to the login screen.

Let me know how it goes.

The big question is when you get the CTD. Is it when you start up TAW, or when you try to enter a mission?

Here are a couple of things you can try:

1) If the problem is entering a mission, then set TAW to D3D 800x600 and see if you still have the problem (I'm guessing you will, but this is the first thing I always check).

2) If the problem is on startup, then do the following:

* backup, then delete the players.lst file in your TAW 2.0 main folder.

* run TAW and see if you make it to the login screen.

Let me know how it goes.

It happens during the mission. I have no trouble lunching the game, but it crashes during the flight.

By the way 2.11 looks great.

Ok, so it's during a flight (and not actually starting the flight)?

Is it a campaign mission, or is it one of the canned missions? If canned, which one? If campaign, don't fly that mission (some of those will creep up).

Also, is it after you do something (I know I could cause a lot of CTDs by flying through debris of targets I just hit with guns and rockets).

Ok, so it's during a flight (and not actually starting the flight)?

Is it a campaign mission, or is it one of the canned missions? If canned, which one? If campaign, don't fly that mission (some of those will creep up).

Also, is it after you do something (I know I could cause a lot of CTDs by flying through debris of targets I just hit with guns and rockets).

It happens in any CAP while I am flying in campaign. During cruising not fighting. Also I just flew a missing in 800X600 D3D and the game was working fine.

It looks like the 1024X768 is causing CTD. Is there a work around this. Game looks much better in a higher resolution.

It happens in any CAP while I am flying in campaign. During cruising not fighting. Also I just flew a missing in 800X600 D3D and the game was working fine.

It looks like the 1024X768 is causing CTD. Is there a work around this. Game looks much better in a higher resolution.

With the 8800, you certainly have the hardware to run in Glide mode in 1600x1200. Just check the Manual Addendum for the recommended settings (the default settings are max compatibility, not max performance).