7 replies to this topic

#1 Stans

Stans

Überkommandant alles Spam

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,595 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:09 AM

I was greeted with this message this morning. Some hacker has destroyed the AVSIM site, home to what is probably the world's largest collection of files for a host of different flight sims.

Folks,

Today, AVSIM was destroyed by a hacker. Both of our primary servers were hacked and the partition tables destroyed, and that will be very difficult to overcome. I won’t speculate on who did it, but we will have a forensic done on our disks and scrutinize the logs to validate our suspicions.

I would appreciate if you could post the following as a news item or announcement on your websites or forums. Nels and Francois, I know we have been competitors, but I would very much appreciate you posting this on your web sites, if you could.

PRESS RELEASE: AVSIM Hacked!!

Tom Allensworth, CEO and Publisher of AVSIM, today issued the following announcement; “We regret to inform the flight simulation community that on Tuesday, May 12, AVSIM was hacked and effectively destroyed. The method of the hack makes recovery difficult, if not impossible, to recover from. Both servers, that is the library / email and web site / forum servers were attacked. AVSIM is totally offline at this time and we expect to be so for some time to come. We are not able to predict when we will be back online, if we can come back at all. We will post more news as we are able to in the coming days and weeks. END

Best Regards,
Tom Allensworth

When you know as much as I do, you become a danger only to yourself.

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

"Would you tell me please, Mr. Howard... why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away?" - Mel Gibson as Benjamin Martin in The Patriot, 2000.

Jailhouse Bones Davis, that's my blues name, so don't forget it.

#2 No105_Archie

No105_Archie

Ancient Mosquito Pilot

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,973 posts
  • Interests:WW2 sims, guitars, greyhounds, real ale

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:05 AM

Bastards :nuke:
Archie Smythe

Carpe diem

#3 Donster

Donster

Babengrupenfuhrermeister

• Charter Member
  • 51,484 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:19 AM

What Arch said x2
"Work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work....."

#4 Stag

Stag

The soft-spoken extremely violent one.

• Charter Member
  • 11,654 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:05 AM

Destruction that complete sounds personal, that'll narrow the field down. I've used avsim a lot over the years, it had a fine archive, I imagine we all have. I think the twat responsible has just made a lot of new enemies.

#5 The Dude

The Dude

Muhuhuhaha!

• Admin
  • 16,873 posts
  • Interests:Krabby Patties

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:10 AM

Whatever the cause, the loss of that simming archive is a tragedy. :(

The CSIM archive is huge, but it's a mere speck compared to the Avsim site. On the few occasions when I thought I'd lost the site due to hardware failures, hackers, or my own stupidity, there's a moment in time I wouldn't wish on anybody. The moment I'm talking about is when you realize that the data is (or might be) gone. At that instant the blood drains out of your body, you go numb, and everything goes into slow motion. As the owner of a website archive that huge, you live in fear of that moment every day of your life. And when that day comes, it's like a part of you dies.

I hope they can cobble together the bits and pieces they do have. Also, they have a strong community and that'll help them rebuild things. I have a feeling, with the community's help, that they will be able to come back with a new site that's even better than the original. That is, if the owners have the heart for it.

#6 Schatten

Schatten

Squadron Gunner (CWO)

• Charter Member
  • 13,587 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:35 AM

There's a special place in hell reserved for people who'd do such things. A little to the left and behind people who talk in theatres.
“Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally.”

#7 The Dude

The Dude

Muhuhuhaha!

• Admin
  • 16,873 posts
  • Interests:Krabby Patties

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:33 PM

This just in!

Posted at the AVSIM temporary forum:

It's late on Wednesday and I have been at this since 5 or so this morning, but I wanted to get this posted before calling it a night.

I have to say that in the 24 hours since we were battling an attack on our servers, the community has raised the bar as to the definition of that community and its support for AVSIM. We have had hundreds of email offering help; dozens of message here in the forums offering assistance. We have seen flight sim enthusiasts not only outraged by the destruction of AVSIM, but with an awe inspiring willingness to assist, in any way that they can.

More people have invested in the future of AVSIM today via donations in a single, short day than we have ever seen in our nearly 13 years of operation. I am shocked, frankly, by the desire for the community to see us continue and your willingness to put your investment into our future.

We are sincerely humbled by the wealth of support and the sincerity of those who have posted here and who have sent us email . I can't tell you how important is the out pouring of support to us - it is truly a testament to the hard work, effort and contribution of a whole bunch of folks on our team.

I have to also confess that at this time last night and even in the early hours of this morning, I had thought; "This is it... AVSIM is no more. We should pull the plug on the servers and call it quits, sell the domain and move on to Steel Head fishing in Idaho or Oregon".

That is not going to happen. I can't tell you how much the messages of support, the donations and the unflinching resolve of the community has inspired us. It has truly been awesome. We can't quit now... It would be a sin against the family of AVSIM.

While I am at it, I want to thank Nels, Miquel, Francois, PMDG, and dozens of other web sites and forums for posting our press releases on the event, and following up with offers of support. I am one of the most competitive SOB's you will ever meet, and it is truly inspiring to have our competitors so emphatically show their support in spite of our competitive natures. AVSIM can only hope to repay that support someday. Thank you guys!

That's it. I am done for the night. Thank you everyone for your support and your faith in AVSIM. We WILL be back!

:)

#8 Stans

Stans

Überkommandant alles Spam

• Charter Member
  • 46,595 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:59 PM

From other sites, I know there are lots of people who have original or downloaded files saved to their own computers and have volunteered to send them to AVSIM as soon as the servers are up.
When you know as much as I do, you become a danger only to yourself.

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

"Would you tell me please, Mr. Howard... why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away?" - Mel Gibson as Benjamin Martin in The Patriot, 2000.

Jailhouse Bones Davis, that's my blues name, so don't forget it.