COMBATSIM Forum
jrcel

Missile Avoidance

Has anyone else had a problem avoiding AA missiles in this sim. I mean I've been flying sims for a long time I find this to be impossible on Falcon 4. SAM's are no problem but AA, no luck after following the manual's suggestions.

Has anyone else had a problem avoiding AA missiles in this sim. I mean I've been flying sims for a long time I find this to be impossible on Falcon 4. SAM's are no problem but AA, no luck after following the manual's suggestions.

I have a reasonable rate of success at avoiding AA missiles. Have you tried the guides on combatsim's main site? I found this one: http://www.combatsim.com/memb123/htm/nov99/f4-evasion.htm to be particularly useful. The author claims a 75% success rate, and I am currently getting about 60%. It's pretty similar to what's described in the manual, but is worded and organized better, with some additional useful tips. Also, have you tried taping your attempts at missile evasion with the ACMI feature and watching it to see what happened?

Best luck!

PS: If you ever want to play multiplayer, pm me or make a post about it and we'll work something out!

I have a reasonable rate of success at avoiding AA missiles. Have you tried the guides on combatsim's main site? I found this one: http://www.combatsim.com/memb123/htm/nov99/f4-evasion.htm to be particularly useful. The author claims a 75% success rate, and I am currently getting about 60%. It's pretty similar to what's described in the manual, but is worded and organized better, with some additional useful tips. Also, have you tried taping your attempts at missile evasion with the ACMI feature and watching it to see what happened?

Best luck!

PS: If you ever want to play multiplayer, pm me or make a post about it and we'll work something out!

Thank you for replying, the ACMI indicates the radar missile tracking port side 80% to my nose from a near parallel track, perfect for a kill. Dropping chaff doesn't seem to be having any affect as the missile is inbound to my nose and the chaff is 100 feet behind me. Any success for me is sheer blind luck seemingly but the article is clearing things up a bit so thank you for that, it's a great article. As far as multiplayer, I'd like to get things a little more under control before I venture out to test my skill. I have your post to refer to when I'm ready. Thanks again.

What you have to keep in mind is the Minimum Abort Range. Which is the range at which you should place your tally on the back (Yes on your 6 o'clock), give full after burner and fly away. To use this technique, it is really important to be supersonic as soon as possible once you are 180 degrees away from your enemy. Meanwhile chaff as hell. This technique is useful for BVR missiles and at a distance of around 12 or 15 Nm from the enemy. Below that is becoming less effective. If you are in any case inside the envelope of Dynamic launch zone 2 you may not evade the missile even maneuvering kinematically. It is a matter of tactics, are you really sure you want to get closer to a Su-27 or Su-33 ? If the aircraft is superior, do not dare to play with him or do not play with fire. You may burn yourself!