COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CHUCKP

I am a Noobie who will be asking for ALOT of help here!

Well, we could give him the keys to the hanger, gear list and instructions and one of us could sit down with him and work through it with him. I think you'd play hell trying to back out of the modded version you got. I Think that may be the way to go.

WOW!!!!!!!!

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez....I havn't even been a member of Combatsim for 72 hours yet and there are now over 50 posts in this thread that I started asking for some advise to begin my Military Aviation gaming career!!!

I bet there isn't another hobby related Forum in the world that could match that kind of response to a noobie!!! I am excited and happy to be here amongst such a great group of men....your humor and wit are just iceing on the cake!!

OK...back to business- As far as setting a time when I can be on line (and on com with TS) and ready for my "flying lessons":

I am on the West Coast (Orange County in So Cal to be more precise) and usually can be done with dinner and by myself in my den and out of the SO's way by about 7:30PM every evening....For those on the East Coast, which is where some of you appear to be located...that is 10:30PM and getting late....I happen to be in the habit of going to bed late myself...around 1:00AM....But, that doesn't help much except for those of you East Coasters crazy enough to stay up 'till 4:00AM blowing up each other planes in hot dog fights!

I am pretty much at my computer 7 nights a week unless we go out somewhere (less likely these days...) or I am watching something on TV (not that often either).

So that is my availability time frame...I don't know how late you guys are up....or if some of you are out West or how long a "training mission" might last...?

I havn't done ANYTHING yet with IL2 Sturmovik 1946. I only got the DVD last week! I will load it all in my computer tomorrow and then I will at least be ready to get started.

I assume I will be using my Joystick (specs in my first post) and Mouse/Keyboard, but NOT my GamePad controller?

Chuck

PS:

BTW, I REALLY do need you guys....WHY is this all so complex???? I read on another Forum just tonite that you should NEVER put the IL2 files into Window's "Program Files folders, where they would normally be placed automatically, unless you tell the installation program to put them somewhere else....they say that Windows Security is higher in the Program Files and this can cause some distress in trying to play parts of IL2 later....is this true....? So, maybe even the VERY FIRST STEP (loading the game onto your PC) is tricky and apparently can screw you up if you don't know the whole story?????

Another thing that concerns me is all of the upgrades and mods available for IL2-Sturmovik 1946. There was a list of maybe a dozen or more "have to have" mods (and there are many many more than that which might NOT be so critical to have) with highly complicated Download instructions with multiple changes being required, to include the renaming and moving around of files ....I am just praying that you guys will have some kind of a quick "shortcut" for me to get my new copy of IL2-Sturmovik 1946 up to the level you think I need it to be to be able to successfully move ahead with learning all of its many aspects!

And when you tire of flying there is always Bessies.....

Chuck we usually meet up on TS Friday nite,s Ask Dude for TS info and if nothing else you can chat with us there.

And what Red said

Chuck,

I've never heard about problems installing the game in the Program Files folder. Then again, I don't use Vista, so it may be an issue.

There is a very simple way to upgrade IL-2. It's called the Unified Installer.

Our resident expert in upgrading IL-2 is Stans. I'm sure Stans will be here shortly to give you the full details, but in the meantime, here's what I know:

Note: The below looks complicated, but it's not. It's just a process of easy steps. Nothing difficult.

1. Install IL-2: 1946 on your computer. When you start it the first time, make sure it says Version 4.08m in the lower left-hand corner of the startup splash screen. If not, you can get the 4.08m patch here. Download and just double-click the patch to install.
  2. Now you are ready to upgrade your stock IL-2: 1946 with some community-made goodness. Register for a free account at the AllAircraftArcade.com forum.
  3. Once you are registered, login and go to the Unified Installer download thread (Note: When you've finished downloading, check to see that all your files have the following names:
    • AAA_Community_Installer_ver_1_1_part01.exe
    • AAA_Community_Installer_ver_1_1_part02.rar
    • AAA_Community_Installer_ver_1_1_part03.rar
    • AAA_Community_Installer_ver_1_1_part04.rar
    • AAA_Community_Installer_ver_1_1_part05.rar
    • AAA_Community_Installer_ver_1_1_part06.rar
    • AAA_Community_Installer_ver_1_1_part07.rar
    • AAA_Community_Installer_ver_1_1_part08.rar

I somehow got a part 1 file named "AAA_Community_Installer_v1.exe" and it wouldn't work with the other parts.

[*]Because it is such a large download file, it is broken up into 8 parts. They suggest you use a free download utility called GetRight to assist with downloading. GetRight is a very simple program to install and use and it will make downloading all the Unified Installer files MUCH EASIER. We like easy, so get it, install it, and set its options as follows:

• Reconnect of 2 seconds
    (this will then reconnect every 2 seconds making your queue much faster)
  • Set reconnect amount to 1000
  • set max number of downloads to at least 10

[*]Once you have all the files downloaded to your computer, double-click the file named "AAA_Community_Installer_ver_1_1_part01.exe" and follow the onscreen instructions. Click "Yes" when it asks if you want to overwrite the existing installation."

[*]Start the game. Be prepared to be amazed. :)

If any of the above is incorrect, I'm sure Stans will correct me.

Actually, here's a question for Stans: The AAA guys say this in their instructions:

2. If you have IL-2 installed, Copy your current IL-2 1946 game folder and rename the new folder. Next, Delete the FILES and MODS folders. The new install will copy 4.08 files allowing any Direct 2 Drive user to be compatible with the mod.

Ouch! The above three sentences make my head hurt. Is that step only for Direct 2 Drive (people who downloaded the game and don't have a retail store-bought DVD version of the game)? If it's a fresh install, either a retail DVD or direct download version, there won't be any "MODS" folder ... see, that's why I'm sorta confuzzled by the above direction. And another thing: anyone with the retail DVD (like Chuck has), shouldn't have to copy the original install folder as that's just going to waste precious hard drive space. Right?

Dude:

Before installing IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 I will wait for Stans response and his input on how to do a "clean new" install AND then the easiest and quickest way to upgrade/mod it to the latest specs as you have noted above!

In the meantime, I will sign up with

AllAircraftArcade.com/forum

I already have a very good Download Program called "FLASHGET"(I used to use "GETRIGHT" but I think this one is better)...that will prolly work fine to DL the files I will need from that site.

Chuck

Looks like I'm a little late to the party, has Stans gotten into Gunny's good stuff yet? Is there any left for me?

Welcome aboard Chuck, nice to see another sunny SoCal face, I'm based in LA.

Geez, first whizzer tries to seduce me into getting back on the track with GPL and now this. And here's me still back in '42. Now where did I leave those keys? There ain't enough hours in the day! :D

I recommend doing a clean install of Il2:1946, but if it's already installed and unmodified other than patched to 4.08m or even 4.09bm, that's fine too. Copy your unmodded Il2:1946 folder and rename it so you have a back up in case something goes pear shaped with the mods. Download the Unified Installer and run the executable. You now have what you need to fly the wholly unlicensed (but greatly improved), modified Il2:1946.

I think the SBD is a great training aircraft in Il2. It's slow and docile, very forgiving and a reasonable stand-in for the T6/SNJ trainer. There are even some skins available at Mission4Today to make it look more like a T6 or SNJ. There is also a mission pack called "Straight From the Farm" that is a series of training missions designed to get fledgling sim aviators reasonably proficient with their flying skills.

The Dude and Stans:

My goal is to, within the next 24 hours, successfully install IL2 Sturmovik 1946 and the "Unified Installer" from allaircraftarcade.com.

Easier said than done! But, I will NOT EVER give up on this sort of thing...no matter how much it takes to get it right!!!!

Here is the instruction set copied directly from AAA:

===============================

DOWNLOAD & INSTALLATION

1. Download ALL of the below files to a folder on your hard drive

Make sure ALL of the files stay together within the same folder

Download > AAA_Community_Installer_ver_1_1_part01.exe

Download > AAA_Community_Installer_ver_1_1_part02.rar

Download > AAA_Community_Installer_ver_1_1_part03.rar

Download > AAA_Community_Installer_ver_1_1_part04.rar

Download > AAA_Community_Installer_ver_1_1_part05.rar

Download > AAA_Community_Installer_ver_1_1_part06.rar

Download > AAA_Community_Installer_ver_1_1_part07.rar

Download > AAA_Community_Installer_ver_1_1_part08.rar

2. Once downloaded read the installation warnings below then read the installation instructions.

Installation Warnings:

1. If you are installing this package over a fresh installation of the IL-2 1946 DVD, you must first patch the game to 4.08m.

2. If you have IL-2 installed, Copy your current IL-2 1946 game folder and rename the new folder. Next, Delete the FILES and MODS folders. The new install will copy 4.08 files allowing any Direct 2 Drive user to be compatible with the mod.

3. If you have the unified installer 1.0, move the folder named FILES and MODS folder from your modded game to another location for safe keeping.

Installation Instructions:

1. Double left click the file 'AAA_Community_Installer_ver_1_1_part01.exe'

NOTE: You only need to run/install the first part (part01) as long as you keep all the files together you can ignore all the other parts

2. Once opened Left-Click on the Browse button and Select your IL-2 1946 4.08m game folder. Selecting OK and Left-Click the Install button.

3. When prompted to overwrite files select Yes to all.

===============================

As was the case with The Dude, (who asked Stans for help understanding this part) it is the "Installation Warning Instructions" that have my head spinning too!

I havn't installed ANYTHING yet...I have the virgin IL2 etc DVD in front of me as I type this.

As I understand it. I should do the following (and it is so helpfull to have all instructions (like you do) layed out in a numerical check list:

1. Install the IL2 files from the new DVD as is

2. Upgrade this install to 4.08 UNLESS the new DVD already IS upgraded to 4.08 (you have to watch for that info somewhere (?) as you install it....

3. It is this sentence that I need clearly explained to me so I know what to do in MY particular circumstance:

"If you have IL-2 installed, Copy your current IL-2 1946 game folder and rename the new folder (to what name?). Next, Delete the FILES and MODS folders (from where?). The new install will copy the 4.08 files allowing any Direct 2 Drive user to be compatible with the mod."

So, what do I do and in what order do I do it? Of course you would "have IL-2 installed" Does he think you would D/L the patch without having the game already on your PC?

I am ready to go and awaiting instructions from HQ (that be YOU troops!)

Chuck

PS: Not being familiar with all of the permutations of this game over the years...I have NO idea what a "Direct 2 Drive" is....maybe, I don't NEED to know!

Chuck,

You've got the instructions right. Just ignore that step 3 sentence about Direct 2 Drive: don't bother copying the game folder or deleting the MODS and FILES folder ... it really doesn't apply to you. If anything goes wrong, you can just uninstall and reinstall the game, but I doubt you'll have to.

To recap:

1. Install IL-2 from the DVD.
  2. Download the AAA files
  3. Double-click the AAA_Community_Installer_ver_1_1_part01.exe file
  4. Follow the on-screen prompts
  5. You're done!

I'm guessing since you just bought the DVD that you won't need to do any patching. :)

OK....I think I did it!

Check out this Snip of some of the files now in my IL2 Folder in the Programs Folders:

http://www.box.net/shared/9q0lecab7e

There may be some files (RAR) that I can now delete but I didn't want to mess up anything.

When I open IL2 the screen shows version 09 and the AAA Mods as a title at the top of the page...

Let me know if I am now GOOD TO GO!

Chuck

PS: I did some quick Missions with the Missions builder..flew a P-51 and a B-25! Didn't hit anything and I sunk the B-25 in some So Pacific lagoon by getting too low straffing some palm trees......the main problem is that you don't know where to go to find the target...maybe I am missing something? BUT IT ALL LOOKS GREAT...crap it is 2:45AM and I am dead tired...this is WAY WAY too much fun :)

Looks like your mods are good to go. Before starting a mission, read the mission briefing and study the map. Once airborne, you can pull up the mini-map (you must assign a key to open/close the map), which is a real-time moving map. Stay on the waypoints (and your cockpit radio magnetic indicator will be helpful in staying on course, it automatically adjusts for your next waypoint) and you will find your target.

Ground targets can be difficult to spot. Flying with 4xAA and 1024x768 screen resolution seem to be about the best settings for spotting small targets. It was a problem during online ops and the technique developed by VMF-124 was for one person to go in and spot the targets, fire some machine gun rounds or rockets at them so the rest of us could get a good fix on them. Then we'd orbit and take turns rolling in and pounding the targets until either we ran out of ordnance or ran out of targets. That, of course, only works with human players, the AI are too dumb for such tactics.

Well men, I am in Military Aviation Gaming HEAVEN!!!!

I am also in hot water with my SO for spending too much money cuz I am going into this BIG time....this is my New "LONG TERM" hobby and I want to enjoy it as much as possible.

In order to do that, I ordered a TRACKIR 5 unit (this upgraded model is just out for a month now) with the TrackClip Pro accessory. I got it direct from the mfg, NaturalPoint, with a coupon for an "out the door, everything incl" price of $177. As they say :"IT IS WORTH EVERY PENNY OF THAT AND MORE!"

I just used it on a straffing mission in a P-51 on IL-2 and OH MY F-ing GOD!!!!

This is the ONLY way to go.........the feeling of immersion in the game is SO much higher....being able to look around and see just what a real life fighter pilot would see is just AMAZING!!!

Now, cuz I am a noobie and am such a poor flyer, I am sure I am not getting even 25% of what it can do out of it right now...but just that small amount of added thrills and spills makes for a simply superb experience!

I have the TrackClip attached to the side of my best BOSE headphones and the sounds are also magnificant.......

OOOOOOOOOOOOOpssssssssssssss...My SO just came in and said she has been calling me and I didn't come out of my room...cuz I couldn't hear her......this might be a problem....if I don't wear my headphones she complains of the high noise level and when I do, I shut myself off from her....I may have to use some "open" headphones even though they don't sound as good.....

Anyway, although I am hardly in a position to recommend anything to anyone here.... I just have to say that IF you don't have a TRACKIR.....GET ONE NOW!!! You will never want to fly without it...It creates a quantum leap in the enjoyment level of our hobby!!!!!!!!!!

I hope more games become TRACKIR usable......after this, going without it is going to seem pretty mundane and boring!!!

I am practicing by myself and hope that within a few weeks I will be ready to join in the action in VMF-124. Is there a way that I could get access to the threads and attachments etc in that Section now?

Chuck (And NO.....I did not get paid for this OVER THE TOP endorsement of TRACKIR 5!!!!)

Hmm. No need to hold back; tell us how you really feel about TrackIR. :D

Doug will have to bung you on the list to enter the squad room. May be worthwhile giving him a PM.

On the subject of TrackIR, I went to the FreeTrack website and decided to try my hand. I built an IR head tracker out of a LifeCam VX-1000 and a few IR Leds and it works really well. Cost me all of $30.00. I wish I had gone to the site BEFORE I bought the TrackIR.

On the subject of TrackIR, I went to the FreeTrack website and decided to try my hand. I built an IR head tracker out of a LifeCam VX-1000 and a few IR Leds and it works really well. Cost me all of $30.00. I wish I had gone to the site BEFORE I bought the TrackIR.

Spoil sport! Now the noob's going to be all depressed!

ChuckP, I'd suggest keeping the Bose Headset (lucky bugger!) and installing a small signal lite that can be actuated by the SO when she needs to converse with you. I'd also line up a VERY good Divorce Lawyer before things get out of hand! This hobby can do that, ya' know.

Missed most of this from being frickin' sick as a dog most of this week but glad you got it all sorted out Chuck.

Yesterday for schitzengiggles I tried out the Swordfish, that is one nicely done plane. I haven't done a carrier landing in over a year and did it on the first try with the old Stringbag, in fact I took off again and flew back and forth between the US and Brit carriers on the Coral Sea map about 10 times. CoD runs I suppose. Nifty plane indeed and if you want to learn how to do traps it's a nice one to start out on. The visibility ain't great, but it's a better primary trainer for carrier landings than a Buffalo even really.

Well either it's an excellent carrier training plane, or I'm still Just That Good. :lol:

You'll love TrackIR once you become accustomed to it. One thing to remember about TIR, it wants to be the very last USB device plugged into your computer, so if you plug in another game controller after TIR, TIR probably won't work.

Doug, I'm in trouble! I uninstalled all my Ubisoft IL-2 stuff to try and correct the Escape problem and can't get anything back installed. I have DVDs for Il-2 Forgotten Battles, AEP, and PF. I re-installed IL-2fb,which came in as vs2.0, and AEP, ditto, but I can't upgrade to 4.08. Any ideas? Want to make a date to talk about it? And is IL-2 fb the same as 1946?

No, Il-2 is not the same as Il2:1946. You really cannot patch Il2 all the way to the Il2:1946 version.

Yeah Whizzers, you need to have the Il-2: 1946 DVD for all the mods to work. The only reason I even bought 1946 was because of the mod deal, before that I saw it as just another attempt to get more of my money for buying things I already had 99% of. Which it kinda was, but the mods made it worth getting finally.

Actually, you can use the downloaded IL-2: 1946 (called Direct2Drive version) as I have that and just finished using the AAA unified installer on it.

Whiz, you must have IL-2: 1946 somewhere. If you don't have the DVD, you probably downloaded it from Ubisoft like I did. We've all been flying 1946 for the last year or so, so you must have it.

You would have had to signup with Ubi.com to get the downloaded version. Do you keep all your emails? If so, check for an email from Ubi.com when you registered to download the game.

Also, if you downloaded it, and you keep your downloaded files, you'll have a 3 gigabyte zip file somewhere on your computer.

Take a look and let us know.

Actually, I have a 1946 Downloads folder on my Desktop, and there's a Zip file in it with 144megs called "IL-2 1946 4.08m". On opening it and installing, I find a whole bunch of Batch files for Switching mods, DGen, IL-2 icons, etc, etc., but the Read me says it's only for the merged version of FB+AEP+PF. I do have all those DVDs, so if I install those again(!) will I arrive?

STOP THE PRESSES! HOLD YOUR HORSES! RING THE BELLS!

Panic over! I did some digging around in a cardboard box in the garage that has a bunch of old Computer hardware and Video game CDs, and GLORY BE, LO and BEHOLD, there's a IL-2 1946 CD set of two discs which I was going to dump on some weekend Garage Sale enthusiast. Totally forgot I had them, so here goes with re-loading! The rest should be a snap, from the looks of it.