COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CHUCKP

Some Noobie questions about Joysticks and Game Pads

Not having had the great benefit of the advise on what to buy from this group (as I made my purchases before joining) I read the reviews on-line and considered the costs/benefits etc and got these two units:

MY GAME CONTROLLERS:

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro USB Joystick

Saitek Cyborg P3600 Force USB Rumble Pad

Now, I read about the high end CH gear and the X45/52 HOTAS etc and think...."Oh crap" I bought the WRONG stuff...but, did I? I am a noobie after all and what might be out of date or not sophisticated technically enough for you seasoned pilots, might work just fine for me right now...or NOT?

So....I know I will be using the Joystick, but what about the X-Box 360/PS3 style Game Pad? Will that ever be something I will need in the Aviation gaming genre? Or is it just for other kinds of games (the FPS shoot um ups etc...I actually do have a few of those...

BTW, here is an updated list of all the games I own so far....I am SURE some will NEVER be played, but luckily they were SO cheap that even if I never learn to play some of them (or I shouldn't have even got them in the first place for some reason) it ain't no biggie:

WWI, WWII & KOREA MILITARY VIDEO GAME COLLECTION

1. IL2-STURMOVIK 1946

2. BLAZING ANGELS 2-SECRET MISSIONS OF WWII

3. THE HISTORY CHANNEL-BATTLE OF BRITAIN

4. BATTLE OF BRITAIN II-WINGS OF VICTORY

5. HEROS OF THE PACIFIC

6. BATTLESTATIONS MIDWAY

7. BATTLESTATIONS PACIFIC

8. B-17 FLYING FORTRESS-THE MIGHTY 8TH

9. EUROPEAN AIR WAR

10. MIG ALLEY

11. RED BARON 3D

12. BATTLEFIELD 1942

13. MEDAL OF HONOR-ALLIED ASSAULT

14. SILENT HUNTER 3

15. SILENT HUNTER 4-GOLD EDITION

The other unknown (at least to me) is which ones of these 15 games (more actually, as some are "packs" containing multiple games) either will play on Vista right out of the box or only if modded or not even then? That would be nice to know so I don't waste my time learning about a game I am never going to be able to play....can someone take my list and just note next to each one if it will play on Vista as is, if it needs to be modded or if even modding won't make it play or play correctly... I would appreciate that info very much!

Back to the topic of this post: What about the Keyboard/Mouse combo....is that always used in flying Sims etc, cuz there aren't enough seperate buttons etc on the Joystick (although mine has a total of 15) to control everything you need to control. One of the games I got today has a fold out card showing a full computer keyboard with almost EVERY key assigned to do something....even tiny changes in somethings that don't seem to be to critical for flight have an assigned key to use to initiate/control whatever operation is mapped to it!

Please try and give me a three part answer.....Part one being a critique of my two controllers and if (maybe) they will be "good enough for a noobie, but not for later in your flying career" The 2nd part regarding the Vista compatibility of my games and the 3rd part giving me an overview of what kind of controllers are used for what kinds of games and what kinds of actions?

The only reason I decided to write this post, which is so FULL of a bunch of questions, is that you guys all seem so eager to go out of your way to help me.....Hope I am not pushing your generosity too far this time!!!

Chuck

MY GAME CONTROLLERS:

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro USB Joystick

Saitek Cyborg P3600 Force USB Rumble Pad

Please try and give me a three part answer.....Part one being a critique of my two controllers and if (maybe) they will be "good enough for a noobie, but not for later in your flying career" The 2nd part regarding the Vista compatibility of my games and the 3rd part giving me an overview of what kind of controllers are used for what kinds of games and what kinds of actions?

Chuck

Hi Chuck!

Sorry but I can not give you detailed a three-part-answer!

But in anycase, here is usefull piece of advice that I can give you:

Incase your game doesn't support remapping of joystick/gamepad buttons check this out:

There are "button-to-keyboard" applications, that run in the background, that can take an input from any USB device, and transform it to various (even complex) key commands. Try out Xpadder 5.3 for a free program, or look up Pinnacle Game Profiler for something a bit more professional..

I personally own a gamepad(Chillstream PS3 layout) and an old joystick(Logitech WingMan Attack 2).

Using a joystick will almost always let you have a more natural flightpath over a jaged keyboard control, but it depends from game to game.

The main things I need for flying are: throttle, left/right/up/down, (auto) target enemy, switch weapons, trigger, air brakes

most other stuff can be left to the keyboard, and having a "not too cluttered" joystick may also be more of an advantage if yuo dont really know what every command does/need every command, and saves you the accidental pushing of the "eject" button ;)

Happy Flying!

Eagle out