COMBATSIM Forum
keeps21

Engines

I know we can control the Supercharger positions and Magnetos on our planes but what exactly do they do?

I know the Magneto's need to be on to run the engine but that's it, is it some kind of spark plug?

Why\When should I change the Supercharger position?

Thanks

Superchargers depend on the altitude. one or idle is anything really below 10000. Medium blower for 10000-15 or 16 and blower three for all alts above that.

A magneto is an electrical generator that uses permanent magnets to produce pulses of high voltage alternating current.

Used to supply power to the spark plugs

And I'll apologize K, the Corsair had blower settings much like a supercharger setting. When me and the boys of 124 talk about superchargers, we use "blower" settings vice supercharger settings.

We can control them, but well... they're already on when you start the flight so unless you're gonna be switching thme off and back on there's no need.

Yeah magnitos were something I couldn't figure out why were even included in Il-2. Your E key does everything that magnetos do as far as actually lighting the plane up and it's just one key, without having any other startup procedures to worry about it always struck me as sort of moot. It'd be like including a gunsight on/off switch to map but where the game started with the sight defaulted to the on position, sort of neat yet entirely pointless if you're not modelling things like the bulb burning out in it and the like.

And what's the "supercharger" you talk about? Never heard of it... ;)

But the Skipper is right about the blower settings. :D