COMBATSIM Forum
keeps21

Refuel and Take on ammo

It's not possible to land at a friendly airbase, refuel and stock up on ammo to get back up in the air and in the fight is it?

Yeah, sucks, donnit :angry:

There has been a ton of requests to create just such a mod over at AllAircraftArcade.com, but, it seems, the game engine simply won't support it.

It's funny to read the threads over at AAA where the AirQuake dogfighter types scratch their heads and roll their eyes and make posts that say, "Just hit Refly!" Or, they say, why even bother in coop? The missions are too short and the enemy won't refuel.

<sigh>

I'm with you, Keeps, I would like to be able to land, refuel, and rearm. Or, if my plane is shot to bits, land, jump out, get a new plane, and re-join the battle. Maybe, if that spawn of Sasquatch and the Loch Ness Monster known as "Storm of War" actually materializes we might get those features. I'm not holding my breath, however.

Maybe, if that spawn of Sasquatch and the Loch Ness Monster known as "Storm of War" actually materializes we might get those features. I'm not holding my breath, however.

You too huh?

The trains and Panzers sure look nice though, because we all know that proper train modeling and moving bogie wheels are both absolutely essential in a Battle of Britain flight simulator...right? :unsure:

It's not possible to land at a friendly airbase, refuel and stock up on ammo to get back up in the air and in the fight is it?

I know this is an old post.... the answer is "Yes"

You can "ReArm, Refuel and Repair" your plane.

You need Ultrapack 2.0 (which contains mods and mod packs) Zuti 1.12 is a Mod. This mod will enable you to do this by activating the menu (i.e. wingman,etc... option 8 than option 8 again will bring you to the menu for Rearm refuel and repair.

Static,

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

Thanks for reviving this thread, too.

Our VMF-124 Death's Heads virtual squad has been flying missions using Zuti's Moving Dogfight Server for a couple weeks now.

Our mission maker, Joker, created some wonderful Slot missions for it. We also downloaded Snacko's MDS mission pack from the Ultra Pack site and have really enjoyed his Midway Scramble and English Channel D-Day missions.

The ability to land and Rearm, Refuel, and Repair (RRR) has utterly changed the nature of the game.

Here's a short list of the really cool features:

• Landing and RRR'ing, of course
  • Don't have to wait for everyone to show up before starting a mission.
  • Being able to respawn if we get killed
  • The customizable scout aircraft and ship radar
  • The moving battle lines

We have dreamed of this style of gameplay for nearly ten years, and now that we have it, we couldn't be happier. We owe a huge debt of gratitude to Zuti for this remarkable addon. Having said that, however, I do want to say that with MDS coop missions you lose one important aspect of the coop experience. I don't exactly know to say it succinctly, so I'll just babble it out:

In the original coop missions, if you died, you were out until the mission ended. This fact alone, that dying meant you were out, created a greater intensity in all the pilots. That intensity is gone with MDS. Sure, a lot of the intensity we lost was the anger and frustration we felt when we died, so losing that is probably for the good of all, not to mention the cardiac health of those pilots who died under the old coop :lol: But losing that rather negative consequence of death has changed the tenor of the missions.

Another thing we lose with the MDS missions is the all-for-one-and-one-for-all set piece dogfights. Under the old coop, the dogfights were fought as a group and we either lived or died at the same time, in the same dogfight. That style of play is fantastic camaraderie building stuff. In the MDS, pilots die at different times throughout the mission and the group becomes broken up and pretty soon everyone is flying and fighting on their own, and that gets pretty old fairly quickly.

As a squad, we've decided to still run a few old-style coop missions where there's a set objective. We still use the MDS to fly the mission, but we insist everyone show up on time and we take off as a group. The mission makers only put in one or two engagements, and when those are over, the mission is over. This is in contrast to the typical MDS mission where the AI can respawn for hours on end, or even indefinitey.

So, MDS rocks, big time, and we love it, and we can't live without it ... but we are careful to preserve those aspects of gameplay that we loved in the original style of coop missions. :)

In the original coop missions, if you died, you were out until the mission ended. This fact alone, that dying meant you were out, created a greater intensity in all the pilots. That intensity is gone with MDS. Sure, a lot of the intensity we lost was the anger and frustration we felt when we died, so losing that is probably for the good of all, not to mention the cardiac health of those pilots who died under the old coop :lol: But losing that rather negative consequence of death has changed the tenor of the missions.

There is an option in the MDS when making a map. You can make "Dead is Dead" or you can make the player wait a certain amount of time before they are able to spawn back in. Just wanted to add that.

I have flown with Joker a couple times. I think I flew on one of his maps.

Static

There is an option in the MDS when making a map. You can make "Dead is Dead" or you can make the player wait a certain amount of time before they are able to spawn back in. Just wanted to add that.

I have flown with Joker a couple times. I think I flew on one of his maps.

Static

Thanks for pointing that out.

I know about that feature but hadn't even consider using it before because I figured, what's the point? It just makes it like the old coop missions. But now, it sorta just dawned on my thick skull, that yeah, we could use "dead is dead" but still have the convenience of allowing late comers to join in on the action without us having to restart the mission. This would, of course, only be useful for short missions with set piece battles. It would suck for those longer open-ended missions because dying would mean you might as well log off and find something else to do! :lol:

I wonder if our Joker is the same Joker whose missions you flew? Our Joker made a lot of Guadalcanal missions as well as missions based on the two islands, one North and one South, with the little crescent moon-shaped island in between at the midway point. We flew those a lot!

Yes I know those features in mission building.

Dude maybe we need to treat this like a mission or build some.

Because we really only fly Dog fight maps it is more like practice then a mission.

We have been having a blast flying what ever bird we like testing.

I guess I will have to try and make a mission or 2, turn it into MDS but with a purpose.