COMBATSIM Forum
keeps21

Identifying the enemy

I've been trying my hand at playing online and I just can't tell who's friendly and who's enemy until they trun on to my six and blast me out of the sky. Any tips?

First thing to do is turn on aircraft IDs under the difficulty settings.

The bad guys will have a blue ID tag over each plane. There's a setting in your key control options that allows you to cycle through the amount of info in the ID tag. The info goes from ...

• no info
  • distance
  • distance and aircraft type (and human player name in online dogfight and coop modes)

Here's a sample pic that shows what I mean. The A6M5 chasing me has a blue tag, whereas my wing leader, Skipper, is trying to shoot at the A6M5:

30-skipper-rescue.jpg

Hope that helps.

Thanks Dude.

I guess I've just been playing on servers with full difficulty settings.

If ID tags are not enabled then you are going to have a real problem figuring out who is friendly and who isn't. Unfortunately the average computer monitor (and sim) does not have enough resolution to allow for visual identification at distance. It's a one-pixel dot, then a blob, then it shoots you down.

I've been trying my hand at playing online and I just can't tell who's friendly and who's enemy until they trun on to my six and blast me out of the sky. Any tips?

Keeps21, here are some things that have helped me.

First, be sure you have your video card and in-game settings along with the conf.ini set up properly.

Next: be as familiar with the shapes of the friendly and enemy planes as possible.

some quickies:

Japanese planes: usually will have wings far forward on the fuselage, rounded wingtips and tail, sometimes the fuselage extends a bit beyond the bottom of the vertical stabilizer. When approaching you, the wings are on the very bottom of the fuselage, as opposed to the Grumman wings that are a bit more up from the bottom. (look at the fronts of airplanes to see what I'm referring to.

P-40's have low wings too, but they angle up higher than a Zero.

Corsairs have the gull-shaped wing and the fuselage is longer in front of the wings.

Japanese planes' red insignias are on both wings, while US insignias are usually on just one wing. (same goes for German planes' crosses)

The yellow noses on German planes will stand out sooner if your video card is set up correctly.

Hope this helps a bit. Shoot me an email if you want more clarification or assistance.

AKA_Goshawk

Just get to know the shapes. It works. :)

Oh, and if anyone is coming towards you, ALWAYS doubt their intentions are nice. Paranoia is only crazy if nobody is trying to shoot you.

Er... Necropost. how did I end up here? :unsure:

Keeps21, here are some things that have helped me.

First, be sure you have your video card and in-game settings along with the conf.ini set up properly.

Next: be as familiar with the shapes of the friendly and enemy planes as possible.

some quickies:

Japanese planes: usually will have wings far forward on the fuselage, rounded wingtips and tail, sometimes the fuselage extends a bit beyond the bottom of the vertical stabilizer. When approaching you, the wings are on the very bottom of the fuselage, as opposed to the Grumman wings that are a bit more up from the bottom. (look at the fronts of airplanes to see what I'm referring to.

P-40's have low wings too, but they angle up higher than a Zero.

Corsairs have the gull-shaped wing and the fuselage is longer in front of the wings.

Japanese planes' red insignias are on both wings, while US insignias are usually on just one wing. (same goes for German planes' crosses)

The yellow noses on German planes will stand out sooner if your video card is set up correctly.

Hope this helps a bit. Shoot me an email if you want more clarification or assistance.

AKA_Goshawk

Very interesting. I fly elsewhere (as many of you know), but Situation Awareness and Enemy Aircraft Identification must have been a real problem. In the real world then and still is now even with the introduction of modern avionics. Particular with the historical aircraft you simulate here. What if the pilot wore glasses or was color blind? Maybe they never passed the pilot entry health test. How many times must there have been identification mistakes made? Its not like a casual identification mistake that happens at work. a party, in the street. These where nervous guys who had a gun in their hand, had permission and were expected to use it.

I fly IL-2 in closed pit and aircraft identification turned off, in tournaments (No AI).

The biggest key is communications with other friendlies and knowing where they are.

I am a sneaky Bast#$#$%D and usually come in from there six, follow until I am certain it is enemy.

Remember, unless it is AI in the heat of a dog fight the other guy is not sure either.

Learn to recognize aircraft silhouette quickly and as pointed out in above post wing,s

are about the first thing you can make out.

I fly IL-2 in closed pit and aircraft identification turned off, in tournaments (No AI).

The biggest key is communications with other friendlies and knowing where they are.

I am a sneaky Bast#$#$%D and usually come in from there six, follow until I am certain it is enemy.

Remember, unless it is AI in the heat of a dog fight the other guy is not sure either.

Learn to recognize aircraft silhouette quickly and as pointed out in above post wing,s

are about the first thing you can make out.

Thanks. That's really good advice. I love your closed 'pit and ID turned off. I assume tournament means multiplay. I would hope the other virtual pilots are flying with the same imposed sim. limitations as you. Makes checking your six or flying in formation so much safer. I'm getting Sweaty Palms just thinking about it ........ but that's another story ..... ;)