Home Fries

F-22 Total Air War 2.30 (Final) Released

697 posts in this topic

Current Version: 2.30

Total Air War 2.0 is a total conversion of F-22 Total Air War (TAW), and also includes the campaigns from F-22 Air Dominance Fighter (ADF) and the Red Sea Operations (RSO) expansion disc. The goal of TAW 2.0 is to provide a simulation experience that equals or surpasses your fond memories with the original ADF and TAW.

TAW 2.30 provides compatibility with newer operating systems without requiring Windows XP Compatibility Mode.  Barring bugs or major breakthroughs, this is expected to the the last release for a while.  However, if anybody has something they would like to contribute (such as checklists, documents, campaigns, or additional mirrors)  I can very easily create an installer for it and add it to the links below.

270?cb=20150821023440

Total Air War 2.0 Features

• Incorporated Head-Tracking (TrackIR and Freetrack)
  • Full Red Sea Operations (RSO) campaigns, 36 missions (also available in multiplayer)
  • 30 custom missions
  • 3 custom campaigns, 28 missions
  • Additional multiplayer missions, including three new head to head scenarios
  • Improved terrain and new color palettes completely redefine the look of TAW
  • Numerous improved selectable F-22 skins, to include the YF-22, the Nightstalker, and Woodland, Urban, and Desert camouflage patterns
  • Added Desert Flightsuit textures and improved in-cockpit textures
  • Improved, more realistic, and selectable default MFDs and HUD
  • Additional USAF tail flashes and custom tail logos
  • Formation lighting for low light F-22 skins
  • Improved MIDI support for Windows XP and more recent operating systems
  • Mod Management, Configuration, References, and the Mission Editor (TAWBC) are all accessible from a single integrated menu
  • Configuration now allows you to choose your renderer, resolution, and Glide wrapper (if applicable) from the menu
  • Fullscreen and Widescreen versions now selectable.
  • Full integration with TAW Battle Commander (TAWBC) provides slots with dynamic mission titles for your generated missions within the TAW mission menus
  • TAWBC Mission Enhancement Utility (TME) allows you to automatically enhance your TAWBC missions
  • Cloud enhancement and Weather Editor, including Overcast weather for Glide users
  • Ability to change between NVGs and natural light while zoomed into an MFD (Windows XP and later)
  • Enhanced Avionics functionality
  • Improved Level of Detail
  • Improved realistic Moon and Sun sizes
  • East/West palettes with Glide renderer allow for more natural light transitions during morning and twilight hours
  • Custom playlists available for in-game playback (includes EF2000 Soundtrack)
  • "Nostalgia Mod" brings the graphics, sounds, and HUD/Cockpit back to 1998 standards
  • Miscellaneous minor fixes and improvements

Downloads

TAW 2.30 Full Installer (Choose a mirror)

Optional Soundtracks (available for use with the Playlist Function)

TFX Soundtrack (Roland MT32)

TFX Soundtrack (Soundblaster 16)

Known Issues

Antivirus False Positives:

The NVGTool by Eagle_Flight (that allows you to look at the MFDs while NVGs are enabled) was created by a game cheat tool, and because it performs "virus like behavior" (it intercepts and replaces values in RAM registers) it may get quarantined by your antivirus.  This is a false positive, and you should create an exception for nvgtool.exe (located in your main TAW 2.0 folder).  Likewise, if you choose not to use NVGTool, you can uncheck the appropriate checkbox on the Configuration menu in the TAW 2.0 Launcher.

Additionally, antivirus programs that use heuristic analysis (e.g. reputation by volume, certification, et al) are likely to flag or quarantine this download, at least until we can get a healthy dose of downloads to settle the heuristic algorithms..  Just please be aware of this if you see the download flagged by your antivirus.

Legacy Windows XP Compatibility Mode:

If you had a previously installed version of TAW 2.0, you likely had registry entries that set the TAW 2.0 Launcher to run in Windows XP Compatibility mode.  This requirement has been removed with TAW 2.30 in order to ensure compatibility with Windows 8 and (hopefully) Windows 10.   While the installer has instructions to remove any legacy registry entries, please check to see that the registry entries were removed. 

To do this, right click on your TAW 2.0 icon, select Properties, then select the "Compatibility" tab. If the installer did its job properly you should see the following dialog with no boxes checked.

taw_shortcut_compat_zps724e7a46.jpg

If XP Compatiblity mode is still checked, be sure to uncheck it. If it is checked and greyed out, you will need to click the "Change Settings for all users" button and uncheck it from within administrator mode.

Edited by Home Fries
Release of 2.30

:icon_salute3: THX Homefries all your Hard Work!!! :thumbsup:

Can't wait to install this evening. What tremendous advances you have made for this venerable Lady.

Damn, can I play this with Vista?

Help me out.

Tested on everything from Win98SE to Vista x64 and Win7, except for Win2000 and WinNT. You will need Admin priveledges to install on vista, though.

Tested on everything from Win98SE to Vista x64 and Win7, except for Win2000 and WinNT. You will need Admin priveledges to install on vista, though.

Nice, how do I get admin priveledges? is something simple that a avarage user can do it, or is it better to have somebody do it for you?

Thanks.

Nice, how do I get admin priveledges? is something simple that a avarage user can do it, or is it better to have somebody do it for you?

Thanks.

Depends on whether the simple average user has admin privileges.

If it's your own PC and you are using the account it came with, then you likely have admin privileges. If someone else created the account for you, you may not have admin priviledges, at which point you can ask whoever created your account to help you install TAW.

Bottom line: you can still run the installer. If your account does not have admin privileges, it will prompt you for the admin password on install. At that point, whoever does have admin privileges can authorize the install, and you can take it from there.

Wiped all traces of older versions and installed TAW 2.0 Whoo HOO! awesome work Home Fries and others , works great , looks great , WTG! :icon_salute3:

Bjacks

Will you believe I kept a P2-350 running to fly all my DID stuff?

Thanks for the opportunity to replay on today's equipment!

3 Cheers!!!

I just dowloaded TAW 2.0. Or though I did so.

On the file I got from the first link I got an NSIS error messege.

So I went for the next one and the installation process seems to work all right, but when I try to open the game all I get is a frustrating

"can´t find file: e:\pcx\background\bg02.pcx"...

I´m doing something wrong?

I just dowloaded TAW 2.0. Or though I did so.

On the file I got from the first link I got an NSIS error messege.

So I went for the next one and the installation process seems to work all right, but when I try to open the game all I get is a frustrating

"can´t find file: e:\pcx\background\bg02.pcx"...

I´m doing something wrong?

Hello asd,

Just wondering if you downloaded the installer properly. It should be around 171MB when downloaded. And are you trying to install from some sort of flash drive? I've had experiences where the installer fails on the NSIS check when trying to install directly from flash. Try to run the installer from a hard drive, and don't copy the one from the flash drive if that one has already failed.

I'm not too sure about your second issue though. Did you install TAW properly? Try disabling the "Random Startup Screen" option if it's currently enabled. Hope this helps

Cheers

It seems the dowload went fine. I clicked on an icon found on the TAW folder and it worked!

Now the game is opening from the desktop icon as well. I tryng to configure my hardware settings to make it work properly, but there´s probably enought info in the manuals.

Anyway, thanks for the support!

F-22 Total Air War 2.01 Released.

Yes, yes! My prayers have been answered!

_french_man_crying.jpg

Thank you very much for all the work you have done! (And others who have contributed)

I have been following the saga of TAW modding and had kind of lost hope back around 2002-2003 when it seemed like the DAT file would never get decoded. Oh and also Kudos for the strategy guides inclusion. I had searched everywhere for those.

I just found this thread, and had a brief feel to TAW 2.0, what I can say, WOW, this is totally unbelievable, you guys are bloody amazing :icon_salute3:

Since TAW became alive again, I have a wish list now :P

Flight Models:

I noticed the ratpor's FM seem to be touched in 2.0, for example, it still has a 1.55M max cruise speed, this was true when YF-22 was built, (and when DID developed TAW), but the raptors can now cruise at 1.72 at 100% MIL thrust.

Also F22 in TAW seem to be very economical at fuel consumption, the real raptor however is a thirstier beast.

In fact, generally I think the flight models are pretty arcade in this game, not just F-22's.

Models:

Some aircraft/missiles were never operational in real military, e.g.

F-16U, Su-35, Su-37, AIM-120R, etc.

Graphics: Wide screen support

Arh, I must be asking too much :P

Keep up the good works, folks!

I just found this thread, and had a brief feel to TAW 2.0, what I can say, WOW, this is totally unbelievable, you guys are bloody amazing :icon_salute3:

Flight Models:

I noticed the ratpor's FM seem to be touched in 2.0, for example, it still has a 1.55M max cruise speed, this was true when YF-22 was built, (and when DID developed TAW), but the raptors can now cruise at 1.72 at 100% MIL thrust.

Also F22 in TAW seem to be very economical at fuel consumption, the real raptor however is a thirstier beast.

In fact, generally I think the flight models are pretty arcade in this game, not just F-22's.

Models:

Arh, I must be asking too much :P

Keep up the good works, folks!

Hi, for the Aim120r they made a "D" version here is a snipet of the wiki:

The AIM-120D is an upgraded version of the AMRAAM with improvements in almost all areas, including 50% greater range (than the already-extended range AIM-120C-7) and better guidance over its entire flight envelope yielding an improved kill probability (PK). Raytheon recently began testing the D model; on August 5, 2008, the company reported that an AIM-120D launched from an F/A-18F Super Hornet passed within lethal distance of a QF-4 target drone at the White Sands Missile Range.[5]

There are also plans for Raytheon to develop a Ramjet-powered derivative of the AMRAAM, the Future Medium Range Air-Air Missile (FMRAAM). It is not known whether the FMRAAM will be produced since the target market, the British Ministry of Defence has chosen the Meteor missile over the FMRAAM for a BVR missile for the Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft.

so the range of the R in Game should be made to go 30-35nm instead of 26nm as it has a 50% greater range then the C. but the C came out in '96 and had clipped fins to fit inside the F22 Weapons bay. so they are still pretty close as the R has a best range of about 26nm can be fired further but has a Higher PK if fired closer inwatch the circle it grows bigger for a Higher PK..

Also they F22 flight model is based on Models kniow back in the day. it is still in fact probally classified to the real extent of its flight envelope so we may never have perfect info. but the flight model was as realistic as it could have been and who knpws maybe it is really close?? WE really have no bases on saying what a flight model is or is not as most of us have never flown in a F22 or FBW Jet ;)

China or india has placed orders for the SU-35 so it is in production just not many ..

the SU37 is still just a prototype..

where have you read it can cruise a 1.72 in Military power??

Also Homefries had said it will work fine in the widescreen as long as you use the DGVoodoo wrapper and keep the rez in multiples of 800x600 so try 1600x1200 and use the "K" key to use the wideview pit ;)

1kdload.png

We just hit the millennium mark!

Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the kind words.

So do I! Feel free to go here to add to it.

In the meantime, I will try to address your wishlist items in this post.

Flight Models:

Following up what Neph said, the F-22 flight model was based on conjecture back in 1997. The Fly-by-Wire modelling and thrust vectoring is pretty good, though the specific "envelope" numbers to which you refer are understandably off. Unfortunately, the FM numbers are locked up in the EXE, so making good changes is very difficult.

Models:

Note that many of the scenarios still take place in the future (i.e. 2015), so this was a projection 20 years in advance (since the engine is dated 1997). Besides, it works well for balancing.

Try running it in 800x600; it already looks better in widescreen. Note that the video was stretched to 16:10 (the aspect of a widescreen monitor) and it looks better than 4:3.

1500dload.png

As always, thanks for the continued support!

1500dload.png

As always, thanks for the continued support!

Certainly a silent majority out there ........ but good to see such interest.