Home Fries

F-22 Total Air War 2.30 (Final) Released

701 posts in this topic

Hello there from Czech Republic!

I'm playing F-22 TAW v 2.xx more than last 1 year continually on Windows 8.1/10 without any problem but it's true that to be able to run TAW I had to take care for some points. I had same problem. So, if you would like to play F-22 TAW 2.30 under Windows 10 you need to: run F-22 TAW 2.30 in Run this program in compatibility mode for and choose Windows 7If you need to know how to use this mode look to this link http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/set-compatibility-mode-windows-10 because in other hand, you will boot to program, you will looking to F-22 screenshot and no menu will available. Menu is still there and you can easy navigate to it by memory but .....why, if you can simply use compatiblity mode. :) I played TAW like this more than 2 months under memory (sound when you move mouse to menu)....until I found this fix. :) Now is everything much easier.

I had also problem with sound, but when I installed TAW to another direktory I also fix this issue. BTW D3D graphic isn´t working (double text on HUD/messages in game) but under 3Dfx emulator in game without any problem. So, I'm satisfied.

BTW look to our forum in Czech (you can use google translator), I descibed a lot of mission and now I'm near to win first the most difficult campaing on hard. I hope. :)https://www.databaze-her.cz/hry/f-22-total-air-war/diskuze/ Look to discussion there are links to my progress in campaing.

Hello Rapier_CZ from Czech Republic,

Thanks for that information on the fix for Windows 10, very helpful.

Looked at your forum link. That is good to know and has some good discussions, thanks.

Looks like you will win the campaign, on hard. Either that or become "Raptor Salad" :lol:

(Image taken from link in Czech forum)

closeup1.jpg

:rolleyes:

This is what I did which seemed to help.  Deleted the DID folder and all contents.  Ran Glary Utilities registry cleaner program. Installed a fresh 2.30 Final in the DID directory. Ran the Compatibility toolkit included with the Sim.  In Windows 10 ran compatibility wizard and set to run under Windows 7. This was completed after going through the setup process and running the TAWMenu.exe for the first time.  I went into the sim's graphics options and changed the Glide Version to the first option - dgVoodo Glide Wrapper.  Made no other changes.

Ran the sim, set up the pilot, reviewed the options, setting up my joystick.  Ran the Single Mission - Takeoff, and Walla!!! It finally worked, and no more CTD episodes.

Thanks to all of you for making this apparently "old fart" sim available (all the rage now is VR - even game station gaming will soon be obsolete).  I'm not military but do enjoy the old WW II Combat Flight Simulator.  When I came across TAW, I was excited.  Frustration in setting up the game in Windows 10 is an understatement, but not insurmountable.

This past Wednesday, I spent the afternoon setting up my brother's PC - also Windows 10...

Thanks again,

Woo-hoo!

Seem to have resolved the crashes I've been experiencing after upgrading to Window 10. Will continue testing.

Game runs just fine under Windows 10 using the dgVoodoo Glide wrapper. Using the nGlide wrapper causes a crash involving the file F22.DAT

I noticed various contributors have recommended changing the game executable to Windows 7 compatibility. I changed it but I doubt it makes any difference. It runs fine either way.

Considering the fact that one glide wrapper works in Win 10 while the other doesn't, makes it likely the compatibility problems we have been having after upgrading to Windows 10 are with the wrapper, not F-22. nGlide could be the culprit.

Glad to hear it. The last time I ran a campaign it was with dgVoodoo on Win 7 and I don't remember a single crash.

The performance with Win10 seems to vary somewhat. In my case, it seems to run OK, although with black bars down the side instead of filling out the 1920x1080 display.

Hey, I was wanting to know if you can make your own tail logos in TAW and have them appear in game. I've tried that and it doesn't seem to be working. Any help is appreciated.

Hello,

Suggestion for me, MEGA challenge for the team.
You have done a great job and we thank you.
But to make these games even more realistic, is it possible to switch to the  V.R a next patch?
As you have succeeded to implanting the IR Track, it may be possible for the V.R.
It's just a question I ask myself but considering the age of the games, I doubt it is feasible.
:mellow:

If not possible, okay, it was just an idea.
I greatly appreciate your work and thank you for giving a second life to these super simulators!
:thumbsup:

lipy,
I would like to see this as well. While I don't think it's particularly feasible, it may be possible for a skilled programmer to do something along these lines:
1. Intercept video frames using a modified Glide wrapper
2. Use depth information from the 3dfx calls to produce Left and Right stereoscopic image
3. Convert to something the VR headset expects
4. Send to the headset using OpenVR

I reckon that would look amazing, although there's the minor detail of getting all that to work at 90fps.
Also, parts of the scene may look like cardboard cutouts if there isn't enough depth information...and probably other issues as well.

It's not going to happen anytime soon, but an interesting thought experiment nonetheless. :)

As you say, professionals could possibly do it, they have succeeded for FSX who is not very young either. :mellow:

9 hours ago, lipy said:

they have succeeded for FSX who is not very young either. :mellow:

TAW & FSX are four or five generations of GPU programming apart ;) Mikew’s approach is plausible, it would just require some fine tuning with texts, HUD, and UI. (These are probably transmitted as textures quads as well, but one should’nt use their depth information because we don’t want them right in front of our eyes.)

On 7/26/2017 at 9:09 AM, mikew said:

ACMDogfight1997,
It's possible, but not that straightforward.

You would need to modify the .tm texture files that the game uses. Some information here:
http://taw.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Graphics_Files#TM_Texture_Format

Well I clicked on the link to the Texture Manager and I got "This site can't be reached". Is there another way to download it?

It doesn't take much effort to use the psVoodoo glide wrapper to do some experiments  although I need to find a pair of anaglyph 3D glasses.
taw_anaglyph_s.png.e64fd5acf22a787eb6bf8a69970bb044.png

TAW wasn't designed for 3D though, as the Union Reality headset was only used for tracking.

EF2000 did support the VFX1 VR headset during the last period that VR was a thing. I have no idea how good that was...

5 minutes ago, ACMDogfight1997 said:

Well I clicked on the link to the Texture Manager and I got "This site can't be reached". Is there another way to download it?

Hmnn, it's been a while since I ran that program, and now it seems its installer doesn't work with 64-bit Windows. I need to look into that...

48 minutes ago, ACMDogfight1997 said:

Let me drop MarkG a line and see if he has it available for distribution, or if he would grant me the right to do so.

5 hours ago, mikew said:

EF2000 did support the VFX1 VR headset during the last period that VR was a thing. I have no idea how good that was...

I found that.
But I have more impression that it's a big Track ir with a big screen in front of the eyes.
:P

11 hours ago, lipy said:

I found that.
But I have more impression that it's a big Track ir with a big screen in front of the eyes.
:P

It does seem to be stereoscopic, according to the footage at 4:39.

That's a great video! Whether stereoscopic effects were used depended on the game. EF2000 apparently used it, but not Flight Unlimited or Terra Nova.
At 10:05 they seem to show the VFX1 used simultaneously with a normal video feed. That explains nicely why EF2000 Reloaded works, where we pretend the VFX1 is present so that we can use the VFX1 tracking functions with TrackIR but the video is not affected.

Now I'm not sure if EF2000 used the streroscopic abilities of the VFX1.
Since the VFX1 used the VESA Feature Connector, which only has RGB and synch information, it is likely that a game would need to send the left and right images on alternate frames...and I would have thought that would mess up the normal VGA output.

Maybe the author of this review can clear it up for us: :)
http://www.combatsim.com/archive/htm/htm_arc4/vfx1.htm

Why my campaign log status never update ?
I just did win a campaign with my windows 7.

I still love this game, since before 2000, start with F22 ADF.

capaign_log.png

If you're referring to one of the campaigns listed after Port of Call, these are bonus campaigns and aren't tracked.  Campaign tracking (for the first ten) is hard-coded into the EXE.

Hello Guys!

first of all thanks for this amazing project! You should ask money for it seriously.

I've spent a lot of time playing this improved TAW on my older PC and now my heart seeks to step into F-22 one more time :)

I would like to ask, if anyone of you managed to run F-22 TAW in WIN 10 with nGlide?

I able to run it with dgvoodoo wrapper but I belive from my previous experience that games runs and looks a bit better with nGlide.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Hi,

I just have this problem,what is it?

"unable to find file multipla.txt in f22 data directory"

On 7/29/2017 at 4:06 PM, Home Fries said:

Let me drop MarkG a line and see if he has it available for distribution, or if he would grant me the right to do so.

Well, have you contacted him? Did he respond? I forgive you if you forgot.