COMBATSIM Forum
Home Fries

F-22 Total Air War 2.30 (Final) Released

11 hours ago, ACMDogfight1997 said:

I forgive you if you forgot.

You got me there.  I was knee-deep in my Master's thesis at the time and totally forgot about it.  I'm dropping him a line now.

Thanks for this amazing mod.

Out of curiosity is it possible to add new models and expand the database? It would be nice if it can be modded to have newer aircrafts & weapons.

And if possible even control ships, too. I had played Jane's ATF which allowed you to control any aircraft, vehicle and ships as well as create missions with all military branches.

AFAIK there is no real simulator that allows control of all military branches. Jane's/Sonalysts Fleet Command is too old and limited. CMANO is just a bean counter; Naval War Arctic Circle, a bad renderer both pretending to be simulators without actually having a real physics engine. And the rest like Wargame: AirLand Battle/Red Dragon are either arcades or like Hearts of Iron IV a RTS with arbitrary stats. Arma 3 as a FPS isn't suitable. The only real simulator I see is DCS World/DCS Combined Arms which is more of an afterthought and too underdeveloped.

At this point, there's only so much we can do without source code.  We can modify databases (most are ASCII text) and use hex-editing to update models, but the limitations mean that barring a major breakthrough, the gameplay has evolved about as far as it can go.  With the exception of new campaigns (which really aren't that hard to do), there isn't much more to add at this point.

8 hours ago, Home Fries said:

At this point, there's only so much we can do without source code.  We can modify databases (most are ASCII text) and use hex-editing to update models, but the limitations mean that barring a major breakthrough, the gameplay has evolved about as far as it can go.  With the exception of new campaigns (which really aren't that hard to do), there isn't much more to add at this point.

I see. I figured adding game functions is impossible but I'd hopped models would be possible. I heard https://retdec.com/ can decompile programs and https://cuckoosandbox.org/ can be used to track activities. These might help to hack. Still not easy but better than nothing.

4 hours ago, Krycztij said:

You may be interested in my TAW clone TFXplorer, but there is no gameplay at this point and it’ll take years to finish it.

Nice. Yeah, as a modder myself I know how it is. Going for more detailed discussion there.

Hi all,

I have a problem with TAW2.3, the game crash  at startup.
I will reinstall it but how do I save my data please?

15 hours ago, lipy said:

Hi all,

I have a problem with TAW2.3, the game crash  at startup.
I will reinstall it but how do I save my data please?

On the launcher, click on the 3DFX icon on the lower left, and you'll be taken to the Graphics and Applications Configuration (i.e. Setup) screen.  Then click on the Back up and Restore Pilots icon on the lower left, and it will open a program that will backup your pilots to a zipfile (and restore them later).  Just make sure you save the zipfile outside of your TAW folder tree so any deletion of TAW folders doesn't inadvertently delete your backups.

On 12/29/2017 at 12:13 AM, editor said:

Nice. Yeah, as a modder myself I know how it is. Going for more detailed discussion there.

If you're interested in doing any modding, I have uploaded what I know to the TAW Wiki.  You'll find plenty in the section on modding, and you can always ask for additional information in these forums.  If you want to create some campaigns as well, I'll be happy to add them (giving you full credit, of course).

Regarding the order of battle databases, I have attempted to change what certain countries have to make different sets of campaigns, but I could never get it to work.  If you can figure that out, though, I have put the ability to link campaign sets with custom databases into the front end GUI.

Oh, and @ACMDogfight1997, I did get permission from MarkG to upload his files.  Now I just need to find them...

Hi all,

Ok everything reinstalled and it works.:D:wub:
Here is my config: Win 10 64-bit, intel core i7-6700k cpu @ 4,00FHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 980.
What is the best graphic and hardware setting please?
:blink:

Hadn't played this this the 90's when a group of us used to multiplay or simply have individual dogfights. This new version brought back a load of memories for this old boy. My only problem with it is it often loses my joystick or vice versa. Stick is a heavily modified Hotas Cougar which worked fine once the dust was blown off. Tried it with Foxy and Target with same result. Usually happens after a trip to the in game menu.

Good effort Home Fries,

David

Got a new machine running Windows 10, and unfortunately I can't seem to get TAW 2.0 to launch. It's strange in that I don't receive any error or crash messages. I can see F22.dat running in Task Manager. but the game doesn't launch. I've applied the compatibility fix, and tried various compatibility modes, but so far, nothing.  Does anyone have any insight?  

10 hours ago, DutchElvis said:

Got a new machine running Windows 10, and unfortunately I can't seem to get TAW 2.0 to launch. It's strange in that I don't receive any error or crash messages. I can see F22.dat running in Task Manager. but the game doesn't launch. I've applied the compatibility fix, and tried various compatibility modes, but so far, nothing.  Does anyone have any insight?  

Are you running Bitdefender?

Daft question but are you opening F22.exe directly or via the launcher?

22 hours ago, meditek said:

Are you running Bitdefender?

Daft question but are you opening F22.exe directly or via the launcher?

Nope, no bitdefender.
I've tried both launching via the launcher, and by  F22.exe directly. 

Hi DutchElvis,

I also had a problem with the luncher.

I unistalled and reinstalled TAW and it worked.

If you have data for your pilot,do not remove the remaining folders after the unistall.

I hope it will work for you too. ;)

It's worth looking for the file f22.$$$ in your C/: folder. This will be created if the program crashes. If it's there, please open it in Notepad and paste the contents here.

I've dusted off my Win10 PC for the first time since 2016. It took over 2 hours to update itself (and probably upload the contents of my hard drive to Microsoft), but in the end TAW 2.0 worked fine with default settings.

5 hours ago, mikew said:

It's worth looking for the file f22.$$$ in your C/: folder. This will be created if the program crashes. If it's there, please open it in Notepad and paste the contents here.

I've dusted off my Win10 PC for the first time since 2016. It took over 2 hours to update itself (and probably upload the contents of my hard drive to Microsoft), but in the end TAW 2.0 worked fine with default settings.

Thanks but I found I could not get excited avoiding missiles. The Yanks at least have people/pilots/squadrons deducted to rendering them harmless before F22 ADF sends us in. Also the plane performance didn't come near an F16.

I've deleted the game because I'm not up to playing it these days. I intend to concentrate on landing a whale on instruments.

Thanks for trying,

David

8 hours ago, mikew said:

That crash file doesn't seem to get generated. I'm not getting any crash or error messages either.

That is really strange that you are not getting any error messages.
Anything unusual about your system? Multi-monitor?

You say that f22.dat is running according to Task Manager. How much memory is it using? Mine is about 82MB at the login screen which is the first to start up.

On 1/14/2018 at 5:00 PM, mikew said:

That is really strange that you are not getting any error messages.
Anything unusual about your system? Multi-monitor?

You say that f22.dat is running according to Task Manager. How much memory is it using? Mine is about 82MB at the login screen which is the first to start up.

Task Manager says f22.dat use about 10.1 megs of memory.  Nothing weird I can think of with my system. Here, I'll post my dxdiag info:
        Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
             System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
                     BIOS: P1.20
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8600K CPU @ 3.60GHz (6 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
                   Memory: 8192MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 8126MB RAM
                Page File: 10978MB used, 6875MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
       System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
          DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
                 Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
           DxDiag Version: 10.00.16299.0015 64bit Unicode

Well. I don't know. The memory idea was to see if the game was actually running, but you just don't see it for some reason...but it seems not.

Actually, while it works OK most of the time on my Win 10 machine, it doesn't exit cleanly...and on one occasion it locked up on the first screen requiring a machine reboot.

2 hours ago, mikew said:

Well. I don't know. The memory idea was to see if the game was actually running, but you just don't see it for some reason...but it seems not.

Actually, while it works OK most of the time on my Win 10 machine, it doesn't exit cleanly...and on one occasion it locked up on the first screen requiring a machine reboot.

No worries, thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to get my DiD fix from EF2000 Reloaded for the time being.