Home Fries

F-22 Total Air War 2.30 (Final) Released

701 posts in this topic

Hi Home Fries

I am playing TAW 2.10 and running with Glide Wrapper. But when I change the resolution (set resolution iten), the game runs in 800x600. If I change to 1024x768 and run the game it still runs in 800x600. If I change it to 1280x1024, the game runs in 800x600! I mean, it does not matter what resolution I put the game always runs in 800x600. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

My system: Win XP SP3, P4 3.0Ghz, ATI 1650X video card, 2Gb RAM

Hi Home Fries

I am playing TAW 2.10 and running with Glide Wrapper. But when I change the resolution (set resolution iten), the game runs in 800x600. If I change to 1024x768 and run the game it still runs in 800x600. If I change it to 1280x1024, the game runs in 800x600! I mean, it does not matter what resolution I put the game always runs in 800x600. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

My system: Win XP SP3, P4 3.0Ghz, ATI 1650X video card, 2Gb RAM

numsei,

As long as you have Glide selected, TAW thinks you are running in 800x600. It is the Glide wrapper that upconverts the image to 1280x1024, much like a Blu-Ray player will upconvert a standard DVD. It doesn't look like 1280x1024 native resolution, but the 3D objects are rendered as such.

The following is a screenshot from TAW 2008 with Glide upconverted to 1440x900. You need to look at distant objects to see the high resolution, and much like antialiasing, the effect is more pronounced when motion (i.e. in-game or video) is involved.

image002.jpg

Lastly, the resolutions you chose likely only work with dgVoodoo. If you have been using Zeckensack's wrapper, it requres a direct mulitiple of 800x600 (e.g. 1600x1200) in order to support high resolution.

Hope this helps.

First of all, thank you very much for all your efforts to take back this great sim.

I'm suffering a very strange issue. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but glide seems to be not working in TAW 2.10. It seems to be running always in D3D. I mean, if you look close to the moving map, for example, it displays the D3D error. Nevertheless, glide is working OK in TAW 2.02.

Am I missing something?

Thank you very much.

numsei,

As long as you have Glide selected, TAW thinks you are running in 800x600. It is the Glide wrapper that upconverts the image to 1280x1024, much like a Blu-Ray player will upconvert a standard DVD. It doesn't look like 1280x1024 native resolution, but the 3D objects are rendered as such.

The following is a screenshot from TAW 2008 with Glide upconverted to 1440x900. You need to look at distant objects to see the high resolution, and much like antialiasing, the effect is more pronounced when motion (i.e. in-game or video) is involved.

image002.jpg

Lastly, the resolutions you chose likely only work with dgVoodoo. If you have been using Zeckensack's wrapper, it requres a direct mulitiple of 800x600 (e.g. 1600x1200) in order to support high resolution.

Hope this helps.

But Home Fries the TAW 2.02 (the latest version that I was running until the 2.10) was OK with 1280x1024. The graphics was much better and it was a little tough for my PC to run it. Now with the 2.10 version, my PC runs much smoothier and we can see, clearly, that the resolution was much worse than the previous 2.02 version. And no matter how resolution I choose, the quality of the graphics were the same.

Besides, with the new 2.10, my Smartview (F12) is not working. It crashes, unlike the 2.02 version. The missile trail is blue rather than white. If I change to Direct3D, the games crashes with the message "Resolution not supported..."

The 2.10 seems to work only with 800x600 resolution.

Thanks for your attention

But Home Fries the TAW 2.02 (the latest version that I was running until the 2.10) was OK with 1280x1024. The graphics was much better and it was a little tough for my PC to run it. Now with the 2.10 version, my PC runs much smoothier and we can see, clearly, that the resolution was much worse than the previous 2.02 version. And no matter how resolution I choose, the quality of the graphics were the same.

Besides, with the new 2.10, my Smartview (F12) is not working. It crashes, unlike the 2.02 version. The missile trail is blue rather than white. If I change to Direct3D, the games crashes with the message "Resolution not supported..."

The 2.10 seems to work only with 800x600 resolution.

Thanks for your attention

I think I know the problem:

Did you install TAW 2.10 on top of 2.02? If so, the installer overwrote Glide with D3D. Re-select the Glide version (don't forget the new widescreen/fullscreen option) and you should be good to go.

If not, then please let me know exactly how you installed 2.10. If you did a clean install, you should've been prompted to select an EXE as soon as you loaded up.

Edit: The following was added to the "Known Issues" thread:

ADDED 28DEC09: I selected Glide (or D3D 1024) with TAW 2.02, but when I installed TAW 2.10, I get Direct3D 800x600.

This will occur if you install 2.10 over an existing version of TAW 2.0, as the installer code has been updated. Instead of forcing you to choose a version near the end of the install process, TAW 2.0 now checks for the existence of a \Config\tawexe.cfg file. If this file does not exist (such as with a new install), the TAW 2.0 Main Menu will prompt you to choose an EXE.

TAW 2.10 was intended to be freshly installed (as opposed to installed over an existing TAW 2.0 installation). If you installed TAW 2.10 over an existing TAW 2.0 version, then the installer automaticaly overwrote your configuration with the default Direct3D 800x600. To get back to your desired configuration, re-select your desired EXE from the "Graphics and Application Settings" menu, then click on the plane icon to save your settings.

That said, your best bet would be to back-up your important files (including your pilot files and any TAWBC mission files), then uninstall TAW 2.0 and perform a fresh re-install.

Edited by Home Fries
Added information from "Known Issues" thread

I think I know the problem:

Did you install TAW 2.10 on top of 2.02? If so, the installer overwrote Glide with D3D. Re-select the Glide version (don't forget the new widescreen/fullscreen option) and you should be good to go.

If not, then please let me know exactly how you installed 2.10. If you did a clean install, you should've been prompted to select an EXE as soon as you loaded up.

Edit: The following was added to the "Known Issues" thread:

ADDED 28DEC09: I selected Glide (or D3D 1024) with TAW 2.02, but when I installed TAW 2.10, I get Direct3D 800x600.

This will occur if you install 2.10 over an existing version of TAW 2.0, as the installer code has been updated. Instead of forcing you to choose a version near the end of the install process, TAW 2.0 now checks for the existence of a \Config\tawexe.cfg file. If this file does not exist (such as with a new install), the TAW 2.0 Main Menu will prompt you to choose an EXE.

TAW 2.10 was intended to be freshly installed (as opposed to installed over an existing TAW 2.0 installation). If you installed TAW 2.10 over an existing TAW 2.0 version, then the installer automaticaly overwrote your configuration with the default Direct3D 800x600. To get back to your desired configuration, re-select your desired EXE from the "Graphics and Application Settings" menu, then click on the plane icon to save your settings.

That said, your best bet would be to back-up your important files (including your pilot files and any TAWBC mission files), then uninstall TAW 2.0 and perform a fresh re-install.

I really don't understand what's going on, because I did unistalled the 2.02 and install the 2.10 and selected my desired EXE from the "Graphics and Application Settings" cick on the plane to save, but the problem persist. Between fullscreen or widescreen don't make any difference. When TAW 2.0 Main Menu prompt to choose an EXE, it is already selected Glide.

Thanks again

I really don't understand what's going on, because I did unistalled the 2.02 and install the 2.10 and selected my desired EXE from the "Graphics and Application Settings" cick on the plane to save, but the problem persist. Between fullscreen or widescreen don't make any difference. When TAW 2.0 Main Menu prompt to choose an EXE, it is already selected Glide.

Thanks again

Not to insult your intelligence, but I do want to make sure that you have been clicking the F-22 icon on the Graphics and Applications Settings screen to save your changes. In this case, select something other than glide, then go back to glide and select that, thereby prompting you to save your changes.

If this doesn't work, make sure that the files in your TAW 2.0 folder are not flagged read-only.

First of all, thank you very much for all your efforts to take back this great sim.

I'm suffering a very strange issue. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but glide seems to be not working in TAW 2.10. It seems to be running always in D3D. I mean, if you look close to the moving map, for example, it displays the D3D error. Nevertheless, glide is working OK in TAW 2.02.

Am I missing something?

Thank you very much.

Hey there Adder,

The glitch in the moving map has been an issue in D3D in all newer systems. If you say Glide is OK in 2.02, then Glide should be OK as well in 2.10. Try using that instead.

Cheers!

where have you read it can cruise a 1.72 in Military power??

The true capabilities of the Raptor are still classified, however, there is information from some sources indicating that F-22 supercruises faster than its prototype, YF-22.

"Maximum speed, without external weapons, is estimated to be Mach 1.82 in supercruise mode;[85] as demonstrated by General John P. Jumper, former US Air Force Chief of Staff, when his Raptor exceeded Mach 1.7 without afterburners on 13 January 2005"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-22_Raptor"

This makes sense to me, with the continuous improvements over a decade

Cheers!

I've at last found time to install 2.10 in favour of 2.02 and like everybody else I'm staggered at what has been done to 2.02, let alone to the original TAW. TAW has always been my favourite FS, and I've bought and tried a few, so thanks to all the modders, former and current, for the work they have done. In particular HF. You have made TAW into a FS beyond anybody's expectations. The level of detail, the options (in "game" and out), the text references, is just mind blowing. Heaven knows what you would have done to the original Falcon 4.0. Thank you :thumbsup:

Just some comment about 2.10:

I've try Glide on my Notebook but it will only runs under software, so Glide Wrapper adjustment cannot be made. Its the age of the hardware, but runs D3D1024 like a charm.

On the otherhand my PC just love the Glide option (DX9, 1600 x 1200) and looks really good. Only one disappointment though: that "WIDE" distracts me. as I fly in this cockpit mode continuously.

Like some others I was getting CDT with some .exe's ,but fixed with HF's post on how to overcome.

I have my own game.cfg file which I use to replace the self-generated one, and had trouble with this in Glide until I realise RES had to set to 2 not 3. Sorry, all this in very non-technial terms (that stuff is all beyond me). Not sure about the TrackIR "Zoom" option: don't seem to be able to sit back far as I do in WIDE. Maybe I'm not Zooming properly? I wonder what the pliot sees? Is his nose touching the canopy or is he sitting back as in the WIDE view?

Well, thanks again, ............... about to read that Manual Addendum .................... again ;)

I've at last found time to install 2.10 in favour of 2.02 and like everybody else I'm staggered at what has been done to 2.02, let alone to the original TAW. TAW has always been my favourite FS, and I've bought and tried a few, so thanks to all the modders, former and current, for the work they have done. In particular HF. You have made TAW into a FS beyond anybody's expectations. The level of detail, the options (in "game" and out), the text references, is just mind blowing. Heaven knows what you would have done to the original Falcon 4.0. Thank you :thumbsup:

Just some comment about 2.10:

I've try Glide on my Notebook but it will only runs under software, so Glide Wrapper adjustment cannot be made. Its the age of the hardware, but runs D3D1024 like a charm.

On the otherhand my PC just love the Glide option (DX9, 1600 x 1200) and looks really good. Only one disappointment though: that "WIDE" distracts me. as I fly in this cockpit mode continuously.

Like some others I was getting CDT with some .exe's ,but fixed with HF's post on how to overcome.

I have my own game.cfg file which I use to replace the self-generated one, and had trouble with this in Glide until I realise RES had to set to 2 not 3. Sorry, all this in very non-technial terms (that stuff is all beyond me). Not sure about the TrackIR "Zoom" option: don't seem to be able to sit back far as I do in WIDE. Maybe I'm not Zooming properly? I wonder what the pliot sees? Is his nose touching the canopy or is he sitting back as in the WIDE view?

Well, thanks again, ............... about to read that Manual Addendum .................... again ;)

Wombat,

If you like flying in wideview, you might want to give the Glide Zoom version a try. What it does is essentially zoom in the "default" view, and substitute the wideview with a slightly less wideview that can be used for normal viewing. Additionally, the WIDE cue has been removed from these EXEs as well.

Just select the zoom exe and once you are in TAW, hit "k" once to go to the wideview, and see if you like it.

Thanks HF. Yes I've try that already. (I now understand what all this Glide and D3D is all about ...... at last :) ). It just you are not as "far back" as with straight Glide or D3D1024. In fact, (1) Glide + Track + Zoom .exe is closer than, (2) Glide + IRTrack .exe which is closer than straight, (3) Glide .exe.

Also is there any reason why you left the red "WIDE" in (2) and (3)?

Its not in any of the other .exe options ....... at least I don't think it is.

IMHO it would be nice if it was not in any of them ..... like the real thing.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Thanks HF. Yes I've try that already. (I now understand what all this Glide and D3D is all about ...... at last :) ). It just you are not as "far back" as with straight Glide or D3D1024. In fact, (1) Glide + Track + Zoom .exe is closer than, (2) Glide + IRTrack .exe which is closer than straight, (3) Glide .exe.

Also is there any reason why you left the red "WIDE" in (2) and (3)?

Its not in any of the other .exe options ....... at least I don't think it is.

IMHO it would be nice if it was not in any of them ..... like the real thing.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Non-Widescreen TrackIR versions appear closer because the X-axis was stretched to better conform with the 4:3 aspect ratio (we couldn't compress the y-axis). If you want the original FOV, just select Widescreen and you will have it, but the original 800x600 view is actually better suited for widescreen than fullscreen.

Secondly, I disabled "WIDE" in the zoom exes because there is no longer a wideview, so I felt that it was misleading. I left it in for the original versions because it still indicates a wideview, and only shows up in the lower right corner. If you wish to hex-edit the file to remove WIDE, I've posted instructions here.

Sorry HF but the patch 2.10a ....... will it only install on fresh install of 2.10?

ie: you wrote ...."And the 2.10a Hotfix (unzip after 2.10 install, before initial launch)":

If you wish to hex-edit the file to remove WIDE, I've posted instructions here.

Thanks HF. Just couldn't that EO EF 67 00 in the F22.dat file with my hex-editor. But that's problably due to my poor understanding of hex-editing. There where lots of EO etc etc etc's but not that particular sequence. :huh:

Thanks HF. Just couldn't that EO EF 67 00 in the F22.dat file with my hex-editor. But that's problably due to my poor understanding of hex-editing. There where lots of EO etc etc etc's but not that particular sequence. :huh:

Replace EO with E0 (zero) and you're in business.

Sorry HF but the patch 2.10a ....... will it only install on fresh install of 2.10?

ie: you wrote ...."And the 2.10a Hotfix (unzip after 2.10 install, before initial launch)":

HF? ...... just in case you missed the above ........ reasking:

..... the patch 2.10a ....... will it only install on fresh install of 2.10?

HF? ...... just in case you missed the above ........ reasking:

..... the patch 2.10a ....... will it only install on fresh install of 2.10?

No, it will work fine. All it does is replace the tawmenu.exe file and one of the f22.dat versions.

I just mention this sequence because the bug in the original tawmenu.exe manifests itself on initial launch. If you have been running 2.10 and never selected a TrackIR enabled EXE, just cycle the TrackIR checkbox to clear the error.

No, it will work fine. All it does is replace the tawmenu.exe file and one of the f22.dat versions.

I just mention this sequence because the bug in the original tawmenu.exe manifests itself on initial launch. If you have been running 2.10 and never selected a TrackIR enabled EXE, just cycle the TrackIR checkbox to clear the error.

Thanks

Wombat

Replace EO with E0 (zero) and you're in business.

Just perfect, thanks

many tanks keep up the good work :icon_salute3:

I have the german version of this famous game. (ADF and TAW) Thank you for your great work.

Sorry for my english, german player :)

Total Air war...What a wonderful memories...

Downloaded and succesfully installed.

Thank You for your great work.

Congratulations! You are Great!

Oh my god!! I just found this site and I loved this sim but tossed it when it wouldn't work on a new PC i got many years ago. Is this a full download or do I need to have the original game? I must play this game again. This was the first game I played online in multiplayer mode. I spent hours attacking the othe bases and loved setting up the battle plans. I hope I can play this game again soon. You guys ROCK!!!