Home Fries

How to get around in TAW 2.0

5 posts in this topic

When we released TAW 2.0, I wrote an addendum to the original TAW manual that both highlights improvements and new features with TAW 2.0 and covers most of the known issues you are likely to encounter. I did this in PDF format so that I could provide graphics and a table of contents for a document that is approximately 30 pages. This also reduced the size of the readme file significantly. One thing I neglected to do, however, was provide an explanation of this addendum in the readme file.

What has happened is this great manual addendum is hidden to most people, because the explanation of how to access it is hidden in the manual addendum! That is one of the big purposes of this thread.

This thread is a quick primer on the things you can (and must) do for basic functionality that can be easily overlooked.

The Main Menu

This is what you see when you fire up TAW 2.0.

tawlaunchmenu.jpg

To launch TAW from this menu, just click on the F-22. You will know when you have it right because your mouse cursor changes to an F-22.

tawlaunchmenu-launch.jpg

But first, you will need to configure TAW. You can click here to go to the configuration screen:

tawlaunchmenu-config.jpg

The Configuration Screen

tawconfigscreen-1024.jpg

This should look somewhat familiar, as you saw a variant of this screen when you installed TAW 2.0 for the first time. I have highlighted the "Configure D3D 1024" button because 1024x768 users cannot go to the Options screen in TAW by normal means. If you run TAW in Direct3D 1024x768, you need to use this button.

The Manual Addendum

This is highlighted in large text because it is so important. This document should hopefully explain every question you might have about TAW 2.0, both in terms of use and troubleshooting.

To get there, go here:

tawlaunchmenu-refs.jpg

This takes you to the References menu, where you can find a multitude of documents and links. The TAW 2.0 Addendum icon is here:

tawrefscreen-taw2addendum.jpg

Note that you can hold the cursor over each icon to get a tooltip describing the document, if you are wondering what the document is.

I highly recommend reading the TAW 2.0 Manual Addendum. The first part of the document explains the new features of TAW 2.0, and the second part of the document provides in-depth troubleshooting for multiple configurations and multiple operating systems. Note that you need Adobe Acrobat or a compatible PDF viewer to view this file.

Hope this helps.

As of TAW v2.11, there are now pull-down menus on the TAW 2.0 Launcher. Of particular note is this selection:

tawmenu211-1.jpg

Now you can access the TAW 2.0 Manual Addendum from the main launcher screen. Which, of course, means no more excuses about not reading the manual ;) .

QUOTE: "The Manual Addendum

This is highlighted in large text because it is so important. This document should hopefully explain every question you might have about TAW 2.0, both in terms of use and troubleshooting.

To get there, go here:" UNQUOTE

QUOTE: "This takes you to the References menu, where you can find a multitude of documents and links. The TAW 2.0 Addendum icon is here:" UNQUOTE

With due respect, "in large text" where? :(

As you can tell I always had trouble finding it (made a hard copy fixed that), however, the new approach in 2.11 is great. :thumbsup:

With due respect, "in large text" where? :(

As you can tell I always had trouble finding it (made a hard copy fixed that), however, the new approach in 2.11 is great. :thumbsup:

The Manual Addendum

(that large text)

I realized after releasing 2.0 that I had painted myself into a corner. To get to the manual, you need to find the manual. To find the manual, you need to read the manual...

Hopefully you made your hardcopy with 2.11. If not, now is also a great time to do so, as it has now been formatted for just that purpose (and optimized for duplex as well).

The Manual Addendum

(that large text)

I realized after releasing 2.0 that I had painted myself into a corner. To get to the manual, you need to find the manual. To find the manual, you need to read the manual...

Hopefully you made your hardcopy with 2.11. If not, now is also a great time to do so, as it has now been formatted for just that purpose (and optimized for duplex as well).

:thumbsup: