COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
curtishart

Okay, new kid on the block here...

Off and on I've played the IL2 series, original, Pacific Fighters and now I just downloaded IL2 1946 directly from UBI for $10 (FYI, as far as I can tell, this loads on Windows 7 64 with no problems)

I say off and on, because this game frustrates me to no end. The learning curve is extremely high, and I feel the tutorials, because they're not hands-on, don't contribute much. My biggest problem is stalling when dogfighting. Seems every time I make a turn, suddenly I go into a spin and stall.

Is there ANY recommendation/tutorial/something to help me get further along? Maybe I'm just missing something in the game. I really don't want to switch to 'easy'.

I've played FSX for a long while and have never had this kind of problem with stalling, unlike IL2.

Secondly, does IL2 support Saitek devices beyond the joysticks and rudders? I have the switch panel I'd love to add to the game but can't seem to get it to recognize it.

Thanks in advance, and happy flying!

Curtishart,

My first recommendation for avoiding spins and stalls is to reduce your fuel load to 25%. If you are carrying 100% fuel you'll spin/stall more easily.

Next, if you have any ordnance slung under your wings or fuselage before an impending dogfight, dump it.

Now, if you still find yourself spin/stalling after those two recommendations, make sure your joystick is properly calibrated in Windows or the Saitek calibration routine.

All that done and you're still spinning and stalling, now you have to start working on your technique. Listen for the buffeting wind that precedes a spin/stall. If your plane is feeling "mushy" in the turn or loop, that is it doesn't seem to respond crisply to your inputs, ease off the stick and reconsider your situation. You may have to exit the turn or loop to regain airspeed.

Basically, never overplay a bad hand if you don't have the speed and momentum.

That ought to get you started :)

You're also welcome to join our coop squad on Fridays. We meet up on Teamspeak at 8:30 Eastern time, so if you are interested in some one-on-one training, then we're here to help :)

Secondly, does IL2 support Saitek devices beyond the joysticks and rudders? I have the switch panel I'd love to add to the game but can't seem to get it to recognize it.

Thanks in advance, and happy flying!

Assign the commands you want to keystrokes via IL2, then use your saitek software to get them to your panel thingmie.

Always worked for me, though last time I used Saitek kit was a couple of years ago, and it wasn't a panel.

The learning curve is extremely high, and I feel the tutorials, because they're not hands-on, don't contribute much.

If it's hands-on training you're looking for, one of the guys in my clan hosts a flight training course in IL-2. He's a licensed pilot in real life.