Red

Narsilion Council

123 posts in this topic

I hereby bring the Council to Order , what say you

S! from the newest member. Please be sure to add Hammerwulf, Halgonzomoth, and Madgonzo to your friend's list.

Also, reposted from the LOTRO post in the Ready room:

For everybody who might be interested in the LOTRO plugins available (now that there is an API for tweaking the interface), here are some important posts from the official LOTRO forum:

Introduction to Lua UI Scripts. Many plugins require the base Turbine sample plugins available from this link.

How to use Lua UI Plugins. What you need to know for basic operation. Long story short: at the chat window type "/plugins load <plugin name>". You need to do this every time you load a character.

And some third party sites:

LOTRO API Reference Wiki. Good background on the API as well as some external links.

www.lotrointerface.com. The site which hosts the above wiki. Also has a great download section.

lotroplugins.com. Another downloads site. Registration required, but free.

Finally, massively.com has an article detailing the Top Five LOTRO Plugins. The article is dated Sept 17, and there are newer plugins available, but the plugins there are very valuable. One indispensable (IMHO) plugin is the Plugin Manager, which allows you to select and deselect your plugins on the fly. Then all you need to do when you start is type "/plugins load manager" and you'll be ready to go.

Sorry HF but more of my questions:

What this all about? :unsure:

I am a mad keen fan of "Lord of the Rings" to the point where I have Rob Inglis read parts of it to to me every night as a a bedtime story; and as you know I'm no spring chicken. :lol: I won't even go and see the movies as I don't want to have my own visuals changed, although I understand they have been very true to storyline.

What this all about? :unsure:

The massively multiplayer game Lord of the Rings Online has recently gone free to play, and it now supports itself with the optional subscription (which gets you benefits) as well as the piecemeal downloads (many of which you don't need to purchase if you are a subscriber). The great thing is that you don't need to spend a cent until you hit level 20 or so, at which point you'll know whether the game is for you.

Just so you know, the US and European servers are run by different companies and are not interchangeable, so you're welcome to join us, but make sure you download the US version of the game and join us on the Windfola server.

BTW, the graphics of the game are very similar to the movie, and do well to capture the visuals and spirit of the Tolkien lore.

The massively multiplayer game Lord of the Rings Online has recently gone free to play, and it now supports itself with the optional subscription (which gets you benefits) as well as the piecemeal downloads (many of which you don't need to purchase if you are a subscriber). The great thing is that you don't need to spend a cent until you hit level 20 or so, at which point you'll know whether the game is for you.

Just so you know, the US and European servers are run by different companies and are not interchangeable, so you're welcome to join us, but make sure you download the US version of the game and join us on the Windfola server.

BTW, the graphics of the game are very similar to the movie, and do well to capture the visuals and spirit of the Tolkien lore.

Thanks HF. I'll explore further, although heaven knows I don't need something else in my virtual life: I still have to finish "Myst, End of Ages". :lol: But that's another story .....

I still have to finish "Myst, End of Ages". :lol: But that's another story .....

I tried the first Myst game, and decided my time would be better spent attempting hari kari with a wooden spoon. LOTRO is IMHO much more enjoyable than the Myst games.

I have to agree with HF. My experience with the online RPGs was limited to Guild Wars and then LOTRO. As I told HF the other night, I'm a Tolkien fanatic. I enjoy all the lore involved with the story and the game does a fine job recreating the "feel" of the books. It should be noted that you are not part of the fellowship, but rather you play in the back story. Things are happening around the fellowship as they make their epic journey. You are part of the events shaping the story surrounding the fellowship. You do have some limited interaction with them such as helping members of the fellowship in their preparations for leaving Rivendell, or helping Aragorn with tasks around Bree before meeting with Frodo, or finishing business for Gandalf as he begins his chase to Rivendell.

And then there is the land itself. The Party Tree and Bilbo's hole in Hobbiton, the Prancing Pony in Bree, seeing Weathertop in the distance as you enter the lone lands or the thrill as Rivendell unfolds itself before you after passing through the Gates of Imlidris. Walking the halls of Moria in the foots of the fellowship and finding the bridge where Gandalf "met his fate" with the Balrog. I could go on about the game, it's features and how fun it is, but I'd be writing for hours. Suffice to say, I don't usually play games constantly for three years unless it's Pacific Fighters, OFP/ArmA or something of the like. I've been playing LotRO since just after launch and it never bores me.

HF, that was a good time the other evening and I'm looking forward to many many more.

And OBTW, Battie, LOTRO will look awesome on your system with the rig you have and the graphics maxxed out.

Thanks guys. I'm d/l now and I assume its the US version as it it was from here:

http://combatsim.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14977&view=findpost&p=5050629

7Gb! :( Have to wait for off-peak tonight. ;)

Don't mean to digress or start a fur-ball, but my attachment with Myst is because of its non-violence. I gave the original Myst to my two grandchildren aged 10 and 8. I used to play the role of Atris and leave emails, send text messages and slip little notes under their bedroom door to help them when they got stuck. We all had a ball, but there biggest fear was they might reach scary places or see scary things. Atris's two sons where about all they could take. :lol:

And that's what was so good: its targeted all ages. Unfortunately their on-line attempt came to nothing. LotRO, IMHO, is not for young children, and so be it.

Tissue?......crybaby

As for Lotro not being for little'uns, well, probably not. The combat isn't all that but the orcs and goblins can be rather interesting looking at the least and there are ghosts, evil spirits and nasty creatures out there that could scare little'uns. My kids watch from time to time but I'm careful to remind them that its a game and the monsters aren't real. Plus you have the added smoking pipe weed and the drinking of ale that they warn you about.

LOTRO is a teen-rated game, and the monsters can be a bit scary.

Here's an example of the Nasgul and the wurms they ride, among other things. This is also just a very cool video.

Non-Violence? What kind of games do you play in mamby-pamby land? :lol:

:lol: yes I'm a Greenie ..... I'll admit it. :( Every time I drop a bomb in TAW2.0 I worry how many trees I've destroyed.

However, if the real Wombat ever stood up in multiplay you might get a surprise. Don't ever make me Lead. You'd all be in the brig after egress. :lol:

Good video clip, wish my shrink would do that with me. I think it would work. Thanks.

WOMBAT STANDUP!!!!!

Why don't these post appear on the "View New Content"!!!!

This is crap!!!! 7 hours to download LOTRO and its still not finished!!!!. This is the 21st century guys!!!!

Calm down Wombat, its only a game ......... ;)

He has to be getting paid to say this:

quote:

Customers Say...

"Not only did we see an increase in download speeds and completion rates, the Pando downloader demonstrated that it would significantly reduce Turbine’s content delivery costs by utilizing a state-of-the-art peer-to-peer download technology."

Turbine

Chris Dyl

Chief Technology Officer

Turbine Inc.

:rofl:

Quote: Questions or need help with the downloads here? Here is a “Pando Media Booster” FAQ.

It gets worse. It doesn't. It takes you to a promo ....... :angry:

Quote: Questions or need help with the downloads here? Here is a "Pando Media Booster" FAQ.

It gets worse. It doesn't. It takes you to a promo ....... :angry:

promo? what do you mean.

BTW, you downloaded the high resolution version, right? That will look so good on your rig.

promo? what do you mean.

promotion material

BTW, you downloaded the high resolution version, right? That will look so good on your rig.

No, standard version. I didn't get offered the HD version initially. Maybe I'm expecting too much. D/L is speed 20 to 250 Kbps at its best.

promotion material

No, standard version. I didn't get offered the HD version initially. Maybe I'm expecting too much. D/L is speed 20 to 250 Kbps at its best.

dang, that is slow. p2p probably isnt that good across the pond, so you're stuck primarily with the server.

dang, that is slow. p2p probably isnt that good across the pond, so you're stuck primarily with the server.

No problems. There's bigger issues in life to worry about. See ....... I've calmed down ..... :lol:

too bad it's taking so long, though. yesterday turbine had the Mines of Moria and Siege of Mirkwood expansions on sale for 50% off. I pulled the trigger on Mirkwood (already have Moria).

OK. Its downloaded.

Now some comments ..... they will sound a bit :angry: but they are meant to be constructive. I put them in question format ... "Not more questions Wombat!" :lol:

Remember I'm just a simple Hobbit, and only need a pipe, 2 breakfasts and 6 meals a day. Non of this technical jargon. Just want to download, install and head for the village for a pipe, good company and a glass of ale. ;)

1. Why did I have to use "their" download accelerator when its so slow?

However maybe its not slow. Around 350Kbps?

2.Comment only: Because it took 7 hrs to download and my quota is 10Gb Peak and 10Gb Off-peak' I used Off-peak (2.00am to 8.am) to save the peak for other things: TAW2.0 Multiplay. Not much fun commencing and re-commencing download at 2.00am in the morning.

3.Why such a huge package to download?

Maybe poorly written "code". Bit like those huge patches you get which are often just a totally new .exe. This, is in no way the case at TAW2.0 of course. ;)

4.How do I find what version I have and if I'm linked up the US server?

My preference over the European server. Just need to keep driving HF mad. ;)

5. Comment only: I had to do a search to find the the PDF Manual mentioned in the Starter Guide. My old eyes couldn't see it on the www.LOTRO.com page which is where you are directed to.

6. When you right click (as directed) to download the manual there in no "Save as" in the drop down menu as you are advised there will be in the instructions?

Maybe it the way I have XP set up ..... however :unsure:

7. Comment only: The print style used in the guide and the manual is great, but hugely thirsty on my color laser printer.

Well, its not been a good start for me, but its a bit like sex at my age: I'd prefer to ride my motorbike .... ;)

If when you start the game and the "worlds" come up and you see Windfola in the list, you are good to go. As for the rest, don't know what to tell you but that you are in for a good time.

It's 7Gb because the game renders the graphics of everything from the shire to Mirkwood, and does a fantastic job of it. The High Res version takes up 12Gb! That's also worth it.

when you create a character on the Windfola server, post its name here. We'll be sure to friend you. Also, friend my characters listed earlier in this thread.

If you would like, I can create a complementary character so that I can go through the introduction w/ you and show you the ropes. My Warden just hit Level 20 today without ever being defeated in combat, giving him the title "Hammerwulf the Undying". I'm pretty excited about that.

Thanks guys.

My character is "Battiewise"

LOTRO reminds me a bit of "Black and White", but online.

I realise that I should post my comments over at the LOTRO rather than here, but maybe I'll just see what I think of LOTRO first.