• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,245 posts
  • Interests:Coffee
    Family
    Did i mention coffee

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:23 AM

I hereby bring the Council to Order , what say you
"Hell I'm not ready to make nice and im not ready to back down....i'm in" Hags when asked if the team should go on
Battlefield 2 Bad Company

#2 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:32 PM

S! from the newest member. Please be sure to add Hammerwulf, Halgonzomoth, and Madgonzo to your friend's list.

Also, reposted from the LOTRO post in the Ready room:

For everybody who might be interested in the LOTRO plugins available (now that there is an API for tweaking the interface), here are some important posts from the official LOTRO forum:

Introduction to Lua UI Scripts. Many plugins require the base Turbine sample plugins available from this link.
How to use Lua UI Plugins. What you need to know for basic operation. Long story short: at the chat window type "/plugins load <plugin name>". You need to do this every time you load a character.

And some third party sites:
LOTRO API Reference Wiki. Good background on the API as well as some external links.
www.lotrointerface.com. The site which hosts the above wiki. Also has a great download section.
lotroplugins.com. Another downloads site. Registration required, but free.

Finally, massively.com has an article detailing the Top Five LOTRO Plugins. The article is dated Sept 17, and there are newer plugins available, but the plugins there are very valuable. One indispensable (IMHO) plugin is the Plugin Manager, which allows you to select and deselect your plugins on the fly. Then all you need to do when you start is type "/plugins load manager" and you'll be ready to go.
-Home Fries

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stuart Mill

The average Naval Aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Posted Image

#3 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 4,563 posts
  • Interests:Fight Sims, Motorbikes, Grand-children and a favorite Neighbour.

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:44 PM

Sorry HF but more of my questions:

What this all about? :unsure:

I am a mad keen fan of "Lord of the Rings" to the point where I have Rob Inglis read parts of it to to me every night as a a bedtime story; and as you know I'm no spring chicken. :lol: I won't even go and see the movies as I don't want to have my own visuals changed, although I understand they have been very true to storyline.

Custom built PC:Hardware:

Gigabyte Ultra Durable 3 GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard, Intel ® i7 920 2.67Ghz CPU, 8Gb Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX275 (896Mb mem) video card with Direct X9c, Realtek ALC850 sound circuitry, Samsung 21"(4x3)Flat LCD, TM Cougar joystick, TrackIR 3Pro, Logitech G330 Headset, ConnectAccess621 ADSL2/2 Router.

Partitioned HDD:

Software, 1st partition: XP Home SP3 32bit OS  with3.25Gb available memory running TAW2.0 Ed:2.20 Baseline + 2.21 Patch + 2.22a Patch + 2.30beta4, nGlide Wrapper 1600x1200 (Gamma Correction 1.2).

Software, 2nd partition: Vista Home Premium SP2 64bit OS with 6Gb available memory running DCSWorld plus DCS FC3.

Spoiler

MSI GE60 OND-288AU Notebook:Hardware:

15.6" (16 x 9) 1920 x 1080 HD anti-glare LCD screen, Intel ® Core ™ i7-3630QM 3rd Gen 3630QM Intel Core X64-based CPU, Intel HM76 Chipset with Turbo Drive Engine and Cooler Boost Technology, 16Gb DDR3 1600MHz Memory in two slots, NVIDIA Geforce GTX660M 3D Graphics Card with Direct X11, 2Gb GDDR5 Graphics VRAM, 750Gb SATA 7200 rpm HDD, Blue-Ray Optical drive, Saitek X52 joystick (alternatively, MS Sidewinder), Sierra USB Telstra 4G wireless modem (or WiFi in Bali).

Software: Win8.1 64-bit OS with 15.9Gb available memory running TAW2.0 Ed:2.20 Baseline + 2.21 Patch + 2.22a Patch + 2.30beta4 Patch, nGlide Wrapper 1920 x 1080 (Gamma Correction 0.7) Res. and DCSWorld plus DCS FC3.

Spoiler

#4 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:17 AM

What this all about? :unsure:

The massively multiplayer game Lord of the Rings Online has recently gone free to play, and it now supports itself with the optional subscription (which gets you benefits) as well as the piecemeal downloads (many of which you don't need to purchase if you are a subscriber). The great thing is that you don't need to spend a cent until you hit level 20 or so, at which point you'll know whether the game is for you.

Just so you know, the US and European servers are run by different companies and are not interchangeable, so you're welcome to join us, but make sure you download the US version of the game and join us on the Windfola server.

BTW, the graphics of the game are very similar to the movie, and do well to capture the visuals and spirit of the Tolkien lore.
-Home Fries

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stuart Mill

The average Naval Aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.
Posted Image

#5 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:59 AM

The massively multiplayer game Lord of the Rings Online has recently gone free to play, and it now supports itself with the optional subscription (which gets you benefits) as well as the piecemeal downloads (many of which you don't need to purchase if you are a subscriber). The great thing is that you don't need to spend a cent until you hit level 20 or so, at which point you'll know whether the game is for you.

Just so you know, the US and European servers are run by different companies and are not interchangeable, so you're welcome to join us, but make sure you download the US version of the game and join us on the Windfola server.

BTW, the graphics of the game are very similar to the movie, and do well to capture the visuals and spirit of the Tolkien lore.

Thanks HF. I'll explore further, although heaven knows I don't need something else in my virtual life: I still have to finish "Myst, End of Ages". :lol: But that's another story .....

Gigabyte Ultra Durable 3 GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard, Intel ® i7 920 2.67Ghz CPU, 8Gb Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX275 (896Mb mem) video card with Direct X9c, Realtek ALC850 sound circuitry, Samsung 21"(4x3)Flat LCD, TM Cougar joystick, TrackIR 3Pro, Logitech G330 Headset, ConnectAccess621 ADSL2/2 Router.

Partitioned HDD:

Software, 1st partition: XP Home SP3 32bit OS  with3.25Gb available memory running TAW2.0 Ed:2.20 Baseline + 2.21 Patch + 2.22a Patch + 2.30beta4, nGlide Wrapper 1600x1200 (Gamma Correction 1.2).

Software, 2nd partition: Vista Home Premium SP2 64bit OS with 6Gb available memory running DCSWorld plus DCS FC3.

Spoiler

15.6" (16 x 9) 1920 x 1080 HD anti-glare LCD screen, Intel ® Core ™ i7-3630QM 3rd Gen 3630QM Intel Core X64-based CPU, Intel HM76 Chipset with Turbo Drive Engine and Cooler Boost Technology, 16Gb DDR3 1600MHz Memory in two slots, NVIDIA Geforce GTX660M 3D Graphics Card with Direct X11, 2Gb GDDR5 Graphics VRAM, 750Gb SATA 7200 rpm HDD, Blue-Ray Optical drive, Saitek X52 joystick (alternatively, MS Sidewinder), Sierra USB Telstra 4G wireless modem (or WiFi in Bali).

Software: Win8.1 64-bit OS with 15.9Gb available memory running TAW2.0 Ed:2.20 Baseline + 2.21 Patch + 2.22a Patch + 2.30beta4 Patch, nGlide Wrapper 1920 x 1080 (Gamma Correction 0.7) Res. and DCSWorld plus DCS FC3.

Spoiler

#6 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:05 AM

I still have to finish "Myst, End of Ages". :lol: But that's another story .....

I tried the first Myst game, and decided my time would be better spent attempting hari kari with a wooden spoon. LOTRO is IMHO much more enjoyable than the Myst games.
-Home Fries

-John Stuart Mill

Posted Image

#7 Gunny

Gunny

Bessie's Bastards platoon Gunnery Sgt.

• Charter Member
  • 18,298 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:17 AM

I have to agree with HF. My experience with the online RPGs was limited to Guild Wars and then LOTRO. As I told HF the other night, I'm a Tolkien fanatic. I enjoy all the lore involved with the story and the game does a fine job recreating the "feel" of the books. It should be noted that you are not part of the fellowship, but rather you play in the back story. Things are happening around the fellowship as they make their epic journey. You are part of the events shaping the story surrounding the fellowship. You do have some limited interaction with them such as helping members of the fellowship in their preparations for leaving Rivendell, or helping Aragorn with tasks around Bree before meeting with Frodo, or finishing business for Gandalf as he begins his chase to Rivendell.

And then there is the land itself. The Party Tree and Bilbo's hole in Hobbiton, the Prancing Pony in Bree, seeing Weathertop in the distance as you enter the lone lands or the thrill as Rivendell unfolds itself before you after passing through the Gates of Imlidris. Walking the halls of Moria in the foots of the fellowship and finding the bridge where Gandalf "met his fate" with the Balrog. I could go on about the game, it's features and how fun it is, but I'd be writing for hours. Suffice to say, I don't usually play games constantly for three years unless it's Pacific Fighters, OFP/ArmA or something of the like. I've been playing LotRO since just after launch and it never bores me.

HF, that was a good time the other evening and I'm looking forward to many many more.
Posted Image

Si vis pacem, para bellum

#8 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:57 AM

And OBTW, Battie, LOTRO will look awesome on your system with the rig you have and the graphics maxxed out.
-Home Fries

-John Stuart Mill

Posted Image

#9 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:43 AM

Thanks guys. I'm d/l now and I assume its the US version as it it was from here:
http://combatsim.inv...dpost&p=5050629

7Gb! :( Have to wait for off-peak tonight. ;)

Don't mean to digress or start a fur-ball, but my attachment with Myst is because of its non-violence. I gave the original Myst to my two grandchildren aged 10 and 8. I used to play the role of Atris and leave emails, send text messages and slip little notes under their bedroom door to help them when they got stuck. We all had a ball, but there biggest fear was they might reach scary places or see scary things. Atris's two sons where about all they could take. :lol:

And that's what was so good: its targeted all ages. Unfortunately their on-line attempt came to nothing. LotRO, IMHO, is not for young children, and so be it.

Partitioned HDD:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#10 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:09 AM

Don't mean to digress or start a fur-ball, but my attachment with Myst is because of its non-violence.

Non-Violence? What kind of games do you play in mamby-pamby land? :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhlWddAXSRA&NR=1A
-Home Fries

-John Stuart Mill

Posted Image

#11 Gunny

Gunny

Bessie's Bastards platoon Gunnery Sgt.

• Charter Member
  • 18,298 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:38 AM

Tissue?......crybaby

As for Lotro not being for little'uns, well, probably not. The combat isn't all that but the orcs and goblins can be rather interesting looking at the least and there are ghosts, evil spirits and nasty creatures out there that could scare little'uns. My kids watch from time to time but I'm careful to remind them that its a game and the monsters aren't real. Plus you have the added smoking pipe weed and the drinking of ale that they warn you about.
Posted Image

Si vis pacem, para bellum

#12 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:53 AM

LOTRO is a teen-rated game, and the monsters can be a bit scary.

Here's an example of the Nasgul and the wurms they ride, among other things. This is also just a very cool video.

-Home Fries

-John Stuart Mill

Posted Image

#13 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:13 PM

Non-Violence? What kind of games do you play in mamby-pamby land? :lol:

:lol: yes I'm a Greenie ..... I'll admit it. :( Every time I drop a bomb in TAW2.0 I worry how many trees I've destroyed.

However, if the real Wombat ever stood up in multiplay you might get a surprise. Don't ever make me Lead. You'd all be in the brig after egress. :lol:

Good video clip, wish my shrink would do that with me. I think it would work. Thanks.

Partitioned HDD:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#14 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:25 PM

WOMBAT STANDUP!!!!!

Why don't these post appear on the "View New Content"!!!!

This is crap!!!! 7 hours to download LOTRO and its still not finished!!!!. This is the 21st century guys!!!!

Calm down Wombat, its only a game ......... ;)

Partitioned HDD:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#15 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:06 PM

He has to be getting paid to say this:
quote:
Customers Say...
"Not only did we see an increase in download speeds and completion rates, the Pando downloader demonstrated that it would significantly reduce Turbine’s content delivery costs by utilizing a state-of-the-art peer-to-peer download technology."
Turbine

Chris Dyl
Chief Technology Officer
Turbine Inc.

:rofl:

Partitioned HDD:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#16 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:11 PM

Quote: Questions or need help with the downloads here? Here is a “Pando Media Booster” FAQ.

It gets worse. It doesn't. It takes you to a promo ....... :angry:

Partitioned HDD:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#17 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:31 AM

Quote: Questions or need help with the downloads here? Here is a "Pando Media Booster" FAQ.

It gets worse. It doesn't. It takes you to a promo ....... :angry:

promo? what do you mean.

BTW, you downloaded the high resolution version, right? That will look so good on your rig.
-Home Fries

-John Stuart Mill

Posted Image

#18 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:39 AM

promo? what do you mean.

promotion material

BTW, you downloaded the high resolution version, right? That will look so good on your rig.

No, standard version. I didn't get offered the HD version initially. Maybe I'm expecting too much. D/L is speed 20 to 250 Kbps at its best.

Partitioned HDD:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#19 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:47 AM

promotion material

No, standard version. I didn't get offered the HD version initially. Maybe I'm expecting too much. D/L is speed 20 to 250 Kbps at its best.

dang, that is slow. p2p probably isnt that good across the pond, so you're stuck primarily with the server.
-Home Fries

-John Stuart Mill

Posted Image

#20 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:07 AM

dang, that is slow. p2p probably isnt that good across the pond, so you're stuck primarily with the server.

No problems. There's bigger issues in life to worry about. See ....... I've calmed down ..... :lol:

Partitioned HDD:

Spoiler

Spoiler