Krycztij

TAW terrain format

979 posts in this topic

Thanks a lot, Mike! The wheels look much larger in any picture on the internet, so I’ll treat it as a flaw in TAW’s shape! Those engine pods look small as well.

20 hours ago, DrKevDog said:

This is my current list of worlds:

lev\redsea.env
lev\redsea.4ev
lev\arcade.env
lev\arcade.4ev
lev\newworld.4ev
lev\norway.4ev
lev\iceland.lev
lev\korea.lev
lev\angola.lev
lev\atlantic.lev
lev\craig.lev
lev\clouds.lev
lev\faeroe.lev
lev\hasbro.lev
lev\libya.lev
lev\martin.lev
lev\nenorway.lev
lev\nwnorway.lev
lev\senorway.lev
lev\swnorway.lev
lev\norway.lev
lev\wales.lev
lev\world.lev
lev\island.lev

There is perhaps one more, name unknown.

It might now be useful to categorize them according to their project affiliations. most of the lev / le2 worlds are from the tfx2 project, another group appears to be from the fws.pc (Fighter Weapons School) project and the Island lev / le2 is associated with the TIALD Military Simulation project (at least that is what the .asc file suggests).

The island has some interestingly unique features. For example: In this pixel image of the Island, the 2 large white areas represent 4 world space tiles which have pointer values of "FFFF" and I suspect that has something to do with TIALD targeting systems, but needs further analysis. Five tiles code unusually for ships, but they have also not been discovered.

Island-FE-2.jpg.e4f4d41aa072078b7df73c1bbcc0c810.jpg

Soon as I discover the hidden TIALD encoded military secrets that D.I.D was working on, you won't be hearing or seeing much from me :o

No! We need you! :D

Regarding FFFF: In TFX2 as well as TFX3, FFFF marks a missing terrain tile. I.e. a hole in the terrain. No shape is found there.

These are rare to find, but there must have been some of them in unused worlds, otherwise I wouldn’t have programmed it like that. (I remember specifically, that I didn’t want that special case in my TFX2 handling but then some worlds would just crash TFXplorer so I had to insert it.)

If you find a better meaning for FFFF, I’ll be very happy to implement it. But from what I’ve seen, it’s just a placeholder for void. (Other games have them as well, e.g. the tile maps of Ace Combat 2 & 3).

I appreciate that you programmed it like that, it will make it much easier as I sift through the many worlds and their redundancies :)