COMBATSIM Forum
Herman Hum

Harpoon for Dummies

Another video After-Action Report for Harpoon3 has been added to the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch the complete

scenario:

Another video After-Action Report for Harpoon3 has been added to the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

scenario:

scenario:

Well, I don't get much time to look at your videos, never mind play the game.

With terms like 'bug infested database', I'm still not sure whether you're promoting the game or some breakaway version of it.

I can only speak from my own experience. I have used the HUD-4 for months and I have designed over a dozen scenarios with it. I think it is, overall, an excellent database. I have found a few bugs in the HUD-4 (out of hundreds and hundreds of entries), which I have reported to Gunny, and he has done his best to fix them as quickly as he can. None of the bugs were serious enough to cause the game to crash when I was playing it--they are things like a particular weapon would not fire or a particular ship had the wrong top speed entered by accident. So, yes, there are a few bugs and they are annoying, but they are minor and they get fixed pretty quickly once they are reported.

I have found a few bugs in the HUD-4 (out of hundreds and hundreds of entries), which I have reported to Gunny, and he has done his best to fix them as quickly as he can.

Sadly, this claim just isn't true. Here is a prime example of such mis-information:

ASROC won't fire

is a DATABASE bug (not a game engine problem) that was reported Nov 12, 2011. It was promptly ignored.

ASROC error?

Is the same bug re-reported one year later October 14, 2012. The database manager claimed (twice) that it was fixed, but the bug remains and prevents anyone using using ASROC in the HUD4. Anyone brave enough to try this database should be prepared for this weapon and others not firing. The player is doing nothing wrong; this is a DATABASE error that cannot be corrected by a player.

None of the bugs were serious enough to cause the game to crash when I was playing it--they are things like a particular weapon would not fire or a particular ship had the wrong top speed entered by accident. So, yes, there are a few bugs and they are annoying, but they are minor and they get fixed pretty quickly once they are reported.

Sadly, other players have encountered the same problems that prevent them from ever completing an HUD4 scenario such as:

Personally, I have tried every HUD4 scenario ever written and have only been able to actually finish one without encountering a game-stopping database bug. I only wish it were not so since I wasted so much time trying to get them to run.

Again, I can only speak to my experience....

I have used the HUD-4 for months and I have designed over a dozen scenarios with it. I think it is, overall, an excellent database. I have found a few bugs in the HUD-4 (out of hundreds and hundreds of entries), which I have reported to Gunny, and he has done his best to fix them as quickly as he can. None of the bugs were serious enough to cause the game to crash when I was playing it--they are things like a particular weapon would not fire or a particular ship had the wrong top speed entered by accident. All I can say is that people should try the HUD-4 and see if it works for them. It works fine for me.

(Of course, again, be sure you have the right version of the database. With my scenarios, I use the latest beta, HUD 4 v1.1 b10, because it has the newest platforms, etc.)

You seem to be operating under the same delusion as the AGSI developers and its HUD4 cronies; that making the same denial twice somehow fixes the problems or bugs. Luckily, this is not how problems are handled in the real world. Unless the database and scenario are actually fixed, the problems will re-appear each and every time regardless of the number of denials.

You've now been shown (twice) where the problems are. If you and HUD4 continue to refuse to fix them, that is certainly your prerogative. However, anyone who decides to try your scenario should be made fully aware of the problems so as not to be frustrated when they find weapons not firing from their platforms.

When documented reports are accompanied with videos and pictures showing when and where a scenario will crash, it is just silly to try and claim otherwise. It didn't work for Lindsay Lohan's denials and it certainly doesn't work with HUD4 protestations over its bugginess.

Again, I can only speak from my experience...

I have used the HUD-4 for months and I have designed over a dozen scenarios with it. They run fine on my machine.

I would suggest that people simply download the HUD 4 database (at least the beta version I use) and try out some of the scenarios. I don't think you have to do anything special. You set up a folder for the HUD-4 like you do with the other databases, you use the H3 configuration program on the launcher program to choose the HUD-4 as the database, you open the scenario like you would any other scenario file, and away you go. At least, that's all I do. I don't fiddle with the database itself or anything. And the scenarios run fine.

Again, I can only report on the experiences of myself and others.

HUD4 is a bug-infested mess. Anyone daring to try it should be prepared for their weapons not to fire. If they think that it is worthy of their time to start a scenario that ends with the units not firing their weapons, then that is their prerogative. Personally, my free time is too precious to be wasted on things that do not work.

Note: this is your third attempt at denial of problems instead of just fixing them. Anyone contemplating use of the HUD4 can see just how far you are going to avoid fixing your problems.

Again, I can only report on the experiences of myself and others.

HUD4 is a bug-infested mess. Anyone daring to try it should be prepared for their weapons not to fire. If they think that it is worthy of their time to start a scenario that ends with the units not firing their weapons, then that is their prerogative. Personally, my free time is too precious to be wasted on things that do not work.

Note: this is your third attempt at denial of problems instead of just fixing them. Anyone contemplating use of the HUD4 can see just how far you are going to avoid fixing your problems.

I'm not denying that problems might exist; I'm simply saying that I have not encountered anything as serious as what you have reported. My copy of the game does not crash because of the database. Nor am I denying the existence of some errors; I can think of at least four or five that I've found (I'm not sure this counts as "infested"), and when I spot them, I report them, and Gunny tries to fix them as soon as he can. There was definitely a problem with the ASROCs on the Knox-class frigates, but Gunny thinks he has figured it out and it should be fixed in the next release. On the other hand, everything else on the Knox frigates seemed to work just fine.

I have never tried to edit the database myself with anything but the editor provided with Harpoon Ultimate Edition. And I have never tried to the edit the current version of the HUD-4 database. I just use what comes out of the .zip file. Maybe that's why it has stayed stable for me, but I honestly do not know enough about databases to have any idea if that is right or not.

Again, I encourage people to just download the HUD-4 and try out some of the scenarios (and, of course, be sure you have the right version of the database or the scenario will not run, but that's true for any Harpoon database). If they work, I hope people will enjoy the scenarios I and others have written with the HUD-4, and maybe write some themselves with the HUD-4, and contribute to the ongoing process of spotting those errors that do exist so they can be fixed.

I do not think that I have reported the game crashing when using the HUD4, either. Currently, the predominant game problem encountered with the HUD4 is the fact that many, Many, MANY weapons fail to fire. This does not mean all of them. However, I have tried all the HUD4 scenarios and found only ONE scenario that could be completed. All the other scenarios were stopped once a database bug was encountered because database bugs are 100% reparable and 100% avoidable.

The fact that the HUD4 manager tries to hide his incompetence is the reason why these HUD4 database bugs remain and are not fixed. Bugs are reported and ignored for years. The ASROC bug is just one of many such examples. They are fully correctable if the manager was knowledgeable about the database editor program. The fact that Guerin is unable to fix such simple errors just underlines his ineptitude.

You openly admit that you know little about databases yet you try to pass HUD4 off as a functional database when it is not. I have taken the (fourth) time to show you and everyone else exactly where the bugs are in HUD4 and when they will be encountered. And, you beg for people to try your scenarios thus making them waste their time with silly avoidable database errors. If someone wants to spend his precious time hitting bugs, then that is their business. However, they should know up-front what problems they can expect to encounter when using the HUD4 database.

As I keep saying, I can only speak from my own experience.

I do not have problems with the HUD-4. I have not observed the number of errors you describe. I have observed a few errors, most of which have been fixed very quickly once they get reported to Gunny.

I have fun with the HUD-4. I think other people will, too. That is why I use it to write scenarios and why I recommend it to people.

As I keep saying, I suggest people download the HUD-4 and try out some of the scenarios. That's probably the best way to see whether or not it works for them. Most people are pretty practical about things like databases for games. If I'm right, they'll have fun and they'll keep using it. If I'm wrong, they'll stop using it.

As I keep saying, I can only speak from my own experience and that of others.

I have many problems with the HUD-4. I have observed many errors, none of which have been fixed once they get reported. Waiting over a year for a simple fix that never comes is probably within your level of tolerance, but probably not for anyone else.

As I keep saying, I suggest people ignore the HUD-4 unless they have a surplus of time and enjoy the frustration of reaching dead-end bugs.

A new video for "Malvinas" has been added the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch

scenario:

AAR: Bay of Pigs

A Harpoon3 scenario

By Freek Schepers (who prefers AARs in a textual format)

[ul]On April 14th, 1961, six ships departed a Nicaraguan training camp where they had spent months training with CIA instructors.

Brigade 2506 was to land at the Bay of Pigs in southern Cuba, to overthrow Castro's regime. 16 B-26C Invader medium-range bombers were ready in Central America to support their invasion.

Cuba's army and militia, while numerically strong, were thought to be poorly motivated and likely to switch sides when the invasion took place. Cuba's air force was poorly equipped, had low servicability, and would be destroyed on the ground by the rebel B-26s and by US strikes on the main airbases. After all, it was the CIA who had organised the invasion.

In reality, President Kennedy had inherited the operation from his predecessors and, while unwilling to pull the plug, he severely limited the support that could be given and personally ordered a veto against air strikes on Cuban airbases.[/ul]

http://forums.gamesquad.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38013&d=1352050646&thumb=1&stc=1

My orders were to gather my scatter ships, conduct reconnaissance on the landing site, destroy army units defending the site, and bring the amphibious ships safely to the Bay of Pigs so that they can unload over four hours.

http://forums.gamesquad.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38012&d=1352050585&thumb=1&stc=1

I ordered my ships to rendezvous at RefPoint Zulu and launched a C-47 Dakota and an A-26K Invader to conduct the beach reconnaissance. The ships employed varied speeds in hopes of arriving at the same time. Even though I only used the Happy Valley base, the multiple rebel bases would (hopefully) prevent the enemy from knowing which axis of approach I would choose. The American CVBG Essex was in communication with me, but not under my command.

http://forums.gamesquad.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38011&d=1352050584&thumb=1&stc=1

The Invader arrived over the beachhead and started a low-level search. It was soon shot down by an undetected enemy unit. I did not even know if it was an aircraft or a ground unit. The Dakota suffered the same fate. This was already proving to be a tough scenario.

http://forums.gamesquad.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38010&d=1352050584&thumb=1&stc=1

A group of Invaders flew in and attacked a torpedo boat detected by the destroyed Dakota. Since I had no other mobile assets to protect the landing ships, I ordered them to attack the boat. She was such a small craft that I had a difficult time pin-pointing her location. When I finally did, the Invaders saved their heavier bomb ordnance and strafed the little boat into oblivion with their massed machine guns; performing not unlike their role in World War II.

http://forums.gamesquad.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38009&d=1352050583&thumb=1&stc=1

The invaders moved on towards Cuba. Meanwhile, the an enemy A-26 Invader was detected flying over the CVBG Essex! I classified it Hostile to help the AI prosecute it. Evidently, it the AA gunners were taken by surprise as not a shot was fired. However, a flight of four Skyhawks did launch and shot down the snooper.

http://forums.gamesquad.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38018&d=1352051652&thumb=1&stc=1

The flight of Invaders conducted reconnaissance, detected elements of the Cuban 3rd Brigade, and attacked with only minimal success. CVBG Essex launched a flight of four Skyhawks for Close Air Support to attack the 1st company. They scored hits, but lost two in the effort. The infantry company was capable of sustaining 500 damage points. In ANW, an attacker has to deliver a significant amount of damage in a short interval in order to overwhelm a ground unit. Otherwise, the unit miraculously regenerates totally! Therefore, I had to gather every surviving A-26K Invader and load them with the most potent ordnance: Mk82 bombs and Mk77 napalm (a.k.a. Snake and Nape)

http://forums.gamesquad.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38017&d=1352051652&thumb=1&stc=1

A flight of 14 Invaders was launched. This had the potential to deliver 700 points of damage. Hopefully, it would be sufficient to overwhelm the infantry company. On their approach, they flew over a gunboat Jose Moran! Compared to the virtually unarmed landing ships, this was like a dreadnought. Therefore, it had to be taken out!

The flight leader immediately led an attack on the gunboat. As before, they reserved the heavy ordnance for the ground units and dove for a strafing run. The amount of firepower delivered was tremendous with the massed .50 cal machine guns, but the gunboat fought back bravely under the assault. The gunboat exploded, but not before killing one of her attackers.

http://forums.gamesquad.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38016&d=1352051651&thumb=1&stc=1

The surviving Invaders pummeled the hapless infantry and then took out two defending AAA sites and a Watchtower on their egress.

http://forums.gamesquad.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38015&d=1352051650&thumb=1&stc=1

The landing ships made their approach to the beach only to come under fire from hidden shore batteries. Marope took serious damage as they all turned to flee. Marope did not get out of range quickly enough and fires aboard consumed her. The flotilla thought it had escaped the coastal defences when another ship started taking fire. They ran, again. Another ship died by fire while a third sustained significant damage.

The Invaders re-armed and returned to sweep the beaches, again. This time, they located a heavy flak unit, an artillery group, and two platoons of T-55 main battle tanks. The deadliest units were the flak and artillery batteries. They died first under a flurry of bombs and napalm. The enemy armour was hammered into submission through strafing attacks.

http://forums.gamesquad.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38014&d=1352051649&thumb=1&stc=1

Once clear of apparent opposition, the landing ships re-entered the bay and completed their landing operations. Victory was granted. It was a close-run operation as the loss of one more vessel would have doomed the invasion.

Many thanks to The AlaskanBiker for a fine match and to Freek Schepers for writing such a fine scenario.

For those fans who enjoy a visual AAR format, a new video for "Bay Of Pigs" has been added the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch

scenario:

scenario:

This AAR is an experiment with "giganto-scenario" play, but ANW isn't the best iteration to do that, as events will show. Dealing with triple threat axes can be a bit confusing over a large area.

A new video for Sea of Okhotsk [MP] has been added the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch

A new video for "Dawn Patrol IV [MP]" has been added the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch

(a.k.a. "Herman takes an Ass-kicking"):

https://www.youtube....h?v=z2XS8wrYwmg

You can watch Dawn Patrol IV [MP] (Espana):

This battle has been recorded in both English and Spanish in order to welcome our friends from the Punta de Lanza forum [ http://www.puntadelanza.net ] to the game. This AAR is Capt.Piluso's first attempt at making a Harpoon video.

Un nuevo video de "Dawn Patrol IV [MP]" se ha añadido YouTube Harpoon for Dummies para ayudar a los jugadores Harpoon navegar las complejidades del juego y para ofrecer la mejor experiencia posible de juego.

Usted puede ver Dawn Patrol IV [MP] (alias "A Herman le patean el c..."):

https://www.youtube....h?v=z2XS8wrYwmg

Usted puede ver Dawn Patrol IV [MP] (Espana):

Esta batalla se ha grabado en Inglés y español con el fin de dar la bienvenida a nuestros amigos del foro de Punta de Lanza [ [url=http://www.puntadelanza.net]http://www.puntadelanza.net ] al juego. Este es el primerintento de AAR de Capt.Piluso 's en hacer un video Harpoon.

A new video for The Bastion [MP] has been added the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch

This is Miguel Molina's (a.k.a. PijusMagnificus) initiation to the world of Harpoon multi-player.

A new video for South Georgia [MP] has been added the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch

This is AlaskanBiker's premiere attempt at making a video After-Action Report.

A new video for Yellow Sea [MP] has been added the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch

Two new videos for Fox Hunt [MP] have been added the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch

This is AlaskanBiker's second video After-Action Report.

A new video for Baltic Sea Struggle [MP] has been added the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch

This is Kalle Jacobson's first video after-action report.