193 replies to this topic

#1 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:59 AM

It comes in a 686Mb Torrent. Here's a site with a torrent link that also shows a cool video:
http://dailyairforce...ven-Better.html

Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg2Yc65pQK8

And a promo video from the 87th:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_uO8CBuwhE&feature=player_embedded
Just from the video you can see HDR lighting, fully operable 3D cockpit, HiTiles, and what appears to be smooth multiplayer.

Here's the BMS site where it all begins:
Benchmark Sims

And if you don't want to use the torrent:
Veteran's Gaming

If you guys don't see any TAW updates in a while, you'll know why!

EDIT: Just so you know, the installer calls on the Original (Microprose) Falcon 4.0 CD at some point. If you only have Allied Force, it will not work.
-Home Fries

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stuart Mill

The average Naval Aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Posted Image

#2 Hawkx

Hawkx

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • Interests:Home Frie's latest release of Total Air War v 2.2
    All DID's Flight Sims.
    Including EF2000 (PC) - 1995
    F/A 18, EE1 & 2

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:48 PM

Here's the BMS sight where it all begins:
Benchmark Sims

And if you don't want to use the torrent:
Veteran's Gaming

EDIT: Just so you know, the installer calls on the Original (Microprose) Falcon 4.0 CD at some point. If you only have Allied Force, it will not work.

quote from the web pages;

Now: Falcon BMS version available!
This version has far more possibilities than the older versions.
Go to the downloadpage to check it out.

Very cool
Formation flight video

http://www.weapondel...tionflight.html
Posted Image

#3 Hawkx

Hawkx

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
    All DID's Flight Sims.
    F/A 18, EE1 & 2

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:38 PM

I found & installed "Microprose Falcon 4.0" from my disk.
I loged into Falcon BMS as Hawkx.
Ready for the next step. I want to install Falcon BMS.
I cant seem to find the D/L for the Falcon BMS install version.

Please reply with the link. Thanks.
Posted Image

#4 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:50 PM

See the top of the thread, Hawkx.

Also, you don't need to install the original F4. You only need the CD (or the falcon4.exe) for verification purposes.
-Home Fries

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stuart Mill

The average Naval Aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.
Posted Image

#5 Hawkx

Hawkx

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
    All DID's Flight Sims.
    F/A 18, EE1 & 2

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:52 PM

See the top of the thread, Hawkx.

Also, you don't need to install the original F4. You only need the CD (or the falcon4.exe) for verification purposes.

I did install the original F4. OH Well,, I guess I have both.
The main thing;
Got it now. Falcon BMS 4.32 up & running.
Maybe we can go to TS3 for a walk-through?

I can't read the selections untill it get dark here.
Thanks for your help!
Posted Image

#6 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:02 PM

We can do the walkthrough, though I'm still re-learning the sim myself.
-Home Fries

-John Stuart Mill

Posted Image

#7 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 4,563 posts
  • Interests:Fight Sims, Motorbikes, Grand-children and a favorite Neighbour.

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:10 AM

...... to follow shortly.

I flew BMS4 in MP for the first time today. Thanks to Home Fries, Eugene and Neph. It was my first experience of fly MP in any of the the Falcon4 versions. I was a total novice. My friendly helpers were also finding it very new but the experience was enjoyable for all. However, they all came from a MP Falcon4 background. (I assume AF, or FF or OF or BMS3, etc). With my experiences being limited to SP F4AF, the difficulty of coming to grips with BMS4 were very obvious.

So if I wish to participate in Falcon4 MP do I proceed to do it under the umbrella of BMS4, or revert to the more established F4AF for which I am familiar with in SP?

If I'm going to do it I'm going to through F4AF.
Why?
I have it setup and running well.
It includes, Zerk's 2D 'pit and Stopworks 3D 'pits.
It reflects better graphical representation of the F16 'pit than I was getting currently with BMS4 (being almost grayed out).
I have my own skins.
BMS4 Multiplay is still being tested and bedded in.
I use HiTiles.
Currently TrackIR ran poorly in BMS4.
F4AF shows the pilot and has kneepad access.
I think I need to to gain my wings in F4AF and then possibly move to BMS4 taking those wings with me.

Just my thoughts and personal preferences. Thanks boys for today. :thumbsup:

Custom built PC:Hardware:

Gigabyte Ultra Durable 3 GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard, Intel ® i7 920 2.67Ghz CPU, 8Gb Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX275 (896Mb mem) video card with Direct X9c, Realtek ALC850 sound circuitry, Samsung 21"(4x3)Flat LCD, TM Cougar joystick, TrackIR 3Pro, Logitech G330 Headset, ConnectAccess621 ADSL2/2 Router.

Partitioned HDD:

Software, 1st partition: XP Home SP3 32bit OS  with3.25Gb available memory running TAW2.0 Ed:2.20 Baseline + 2.21 Patch + 2.22a Patch + 2.30beta4, nGlide Wrapper 1600x1200 (Gamma Correction 1.2).

Software, 2nd partition: Vista Home Premium SP2 64bit OS with 6Gb available memory running DCSWorld plus DCS FC3.

Spoiler

MSI GE60 OND-288AU Notebook:Hardware:

15.6" (16 x 9) 1920 x 1080 HD anti-glare LCD screen, Intel ® Core ™ i7-3630QM 3rd Gen 3630QM Intel Core X64-based CPU, Intel HM76 Chipset with Turbo Drive Engine and Cooler Boost Technology, 16Gb DDR3 1600MHz Memory in two slots, NVIDIA Geforce GTX660M 3D Graphics Card with Direct X11, 2Gb GDDR5 Graphics VRAM, 750Gb SATA 7200 rpm HDD, Blue-Ray Optical drive, Saitek X52 joystick (alternatively, MS Sidewinder), Sierra USB Telstra 4G wireless modem (or WiFi in Bali).

Software: Win8.1 64-bit OS with 15.9Gb available memory running TAW2.0 Ed:2.20 Baseline + 2.21 Patch + 2.22a Patch + 2.30beta4 Patch, nGlide Wrapper 1920 x 1080 (Gamma Correction 0.7) Res. and DCSWorld plus DCS FC3.

Spoiler

#8 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:11 AM

Wombat, you should start a blog.
-Home Fries

-John Stuart Mill

Posted Image

#9 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:18 AM

Wombat, you should start a blog.

Sorry ...... did you read my edited last post? Don't want to sound critical or ungrateful .....

Gigabyte Ultra Durable 3 GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard, Intel ® i7 920 2.67Ghz CPU, 8Gb Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX275 (896Mb mem) video card with Direct X9c, Realtek ALC850 sound circuitry, Samsung 21"(4x3)Flat LCD, TM Cougar joystick, TrackIR 3Pro, Logitech G330 Headset, ConnectAccess621 ADSL2/2 Router.

Partitioned HDD:

Software, 1st partition: XP Home SP3 32bit OS  with3.25Gb available memory running TAW2.0 Ed:2.20 Baseline + 2.21 Patch + 2.22a Patch + 2.30beta4, nGlide Wrapper 1600x1200 (Gamma Correction 1.2).

Software, 2nd partition: Vista Home Premium SP2 64bit OS with 6Gb available memory running DCSWorld plus DCS FC3.

Spoiler

15.6" (16 x 9) 1920 x 1080 HD anti-glare LCD screen, Intel ® Core ™ i7-3630QM 3rd Gen 3630QM Intel Core X64-based CPU, Intel HM76 Chipset with Turbo Drive Engine and Cooler Boost Technology, 16Gb DDR3 1600MHz Memory in two slots, NVIDIA Geforce GTX660M 3D Graphics Card with Direct X11, 2Gb GDDR5 Graphics VRAM, 750Gb SATA 7200 rpm HDD, Blue-Ray Optical drive, Saitek X52 joystick (alternatively, MS Sidewinder), Sierra USB Telstra 4G wireless modem (or WiFi in Bali).

Software: Win8.1 64-bit OS with 15.9Gb available memory running TAW2.0 Ed:2.20 Baseline + 2.21 Patch + 2.22a Patch + 2.30beta4 Patch, nGlide Wrapper 1920 x 1080 (Gamma Correction 0.7) Res. and DCSWorld plus DCS FC3.

Spoiler

#10 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:25 AM

Didn't read the edits before posting mine, but I understand where you're coming from.

That said, I still think your best bet is to migrate. F4AF is no slouch, but it's a matter of developing good habits, and BMS is a new sim. You might as well learn about the new realism configurations (radios, DTCs, avionics) while the rest of us are learning, because then it's a collaborative environment where everybody can contribute. As far as your hardware issues with BMS, we can fix that. I'll be happy to walk you through that stuff; it's much easier than port forwarding! Besides, I truly believe that the community will migrate en masse to BMS as the new standard.

Besides, BMS has hitiles built in, and when FLARE is released that will be a huge terrain upgrade.

However, I keep both BMS and AF on my hard drive.

Edited by Home Fries, 08 September 2011 - 11:31 AM.

-Home Fries

-John Stuart Mill

Posted Image

#11 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:39 AM

Didn't read the edits before posting mine, but I understand where you're coming from.

That said, I still think your best bet is to migrate. F4AF is no slouch, but it's a matter of developing good habits, and BMS is a new sim. You might as well learn about the new realism configurations (radios, DTCs, avionics) while the rest of us are learning, because then it's a collaborative environment where everybody can contribute. As far as your hardware issues with BMS, we can fix that. I'll be happy to walk you through that stuff; it's much easier than port forwarding! Besides, I truly believe that the community will migrate en masse to BMS as the new standard.

Besides, BMS has hitiles built in, and when FLARE is released that will be a huge terrain upgrade.

That said, I keep both BMS and AF on my hard drive.

Yes .... thanks for that. I'm sure my migration will come quicker than I say. I'll just let others bed it down first and get myself up to speed on F4AF SP. However and irrespective, TAW2.0 on Wednesday's 9.00pm is still locked in, :thumbsup: but Campaign testing might have to be sacrificed. :(

Partitioned HDD:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#12 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:30 AM

but Campaign testing might have to be sacrificed. :(

Nooooooooooo!!!!!! :superscare:
-Home Fries

-John Stuart Mill

Posted Image

#13 Hawkx

Hawkx

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
    All DID's Flight Sims.
    F/A 18, EE1 & 2

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:28 PM

Oh Nooooooooooo!!!!!! :superscare:

BMS is a new sim to me. I'm SP till I catch on.
In last night's MP, I was behind the curve, I mean, way behind the curve.

Wombat should be thrilled with all the pre-flight planning. (Printable)

When we dropped, I expected to be on A runway, at least.
As I was #3, I followed #2. Then my nose wheel steering went out.
Ooops,,, KIA out in the grass.

I have my X52 set-up for rudder, but I lost my rudder.
I use SHT+/ on landing. (Expected)

I just joined another flight.

I have to use keyboard 1 to read the numbers.
The Hud is not possible for me to read, to small. Maybe there is a zoom?
Too much for me to learn to explain in this post.
I want to MP, but not as a fool.
Posted Image

#14 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:46 PM

Oh Nooooooooooo!!!!!! :superscare:

BMS is a new sim to me. I'm SP till I catch on.
In last night's MP, I was behind the curve, I mean, way behind the curve.

Wombat should be thrilled with all the pre-flight planning. (Printable)

When we dropped, I expected to be on A runway, at least.
As I was #3, I followed #2. Then my nose wheel steering went out.
Ooops,,, KIA out in the grass.

I have my X52 set-up for rudder, but I lost my rudder.
I use SHT+/ on landing. (Expected)

I just joined another flight.

I have to use keyboard 1 to read the numbers.
The Hud is not possible for me to read, to small. Maybe there is a zoom?
Too much for me to learn to explain in this post.
I want to MP, but not as a fool.

You've got it so right. Exactly my sentiments. There was another level of BMS4 assessment going on way above my understanding. And that was fine, because it was being assessed by experienced Falcon SP/MP pilots. And the comments were almost all positive. However the questions I need to ask (eg. where is my Kneeboard) didn't seem appropriate. So I just listened. I think we flew (tested) for about 6 hours. "We" got the airbase to appear with taxiways, runways, etc. It was great!

But I'm still intending to "cut my MP teeth" on F4AF. And then I can enter the BMS4 (should that be the way the Falcon community moves) from a position of Falcon MP understanding. F4AF has a huge source of resources and places I can ask my questions and receive speedy, informative responses. You might want to reflect on your Falcon MP entry options. ;)

Partitioned HDD:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#15 mikew

mikew

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:09 AM

Well, curiosity got the better of me so I installed BMS4 to see what the fuss was about.....and it looks spectacular. :)

One problem though, when I exit the game all my existing windows are somehow screwed up. This is especially true of IE9, where for example I only see a black box if I try and watch a Youtube video.
Rebooting the PC fixes things, but I might have 20 or so things already running so it's very disruptive.

#16 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:44 AM

Well, curiosity got the better of me so I installed BMS4 to see what the fuss was about.....and it looks spectacular. :)

One problem though, when I exit the game all my existing windows are somehow screwed up. This is especially true of IE9, where for example I only see a black box if I try and watch a Youtube video.
Rebooting the PC fixes things, but I might have 20 or so things already running so it's very disruptive.

No ..... had no experience of that, don't think its the norm. Although I'm not following the threads over at SimHQ. Maybe you can post it over at SimHQ, at least to warn others?

Partitioned HDD:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#17 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:36 AM

Worth a read by those budding BMS4 MP pilots.

http://www.72ndvfw.o...c.php?f=4&t=228

Partitioned HDD:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#18 Hawkx

Hawkx

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
    All DID's Flight Sims.
    F/A 18, EE1 & 2

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:33 AM

Worth a read by those budding BMS4 MP pilots.

http://www.72ndvfw.o...c.php?f=4&t=228

You got that right Battie.

Not unlike any new sim to me,, I had no idea of the BMS 4 capabilities.
I was not sure this sim was worth my slow learning curve.

Check out the "Welcome to the 72nd Virtual Fighter Wing!"
I'm going to use their info to make sure my setup meets the max for my box.

For inspiration & my next step I went to the Youtube videos.
A tip for the full effect.
Use the HD resolution in full screen.

WOW,, At this time,, I'm going to do my best to learn Falcon 4 by BMS.
If I get discouraged again,, I'm heading back to the videos.
After all, flying flight sims is what I got this box for.
Thanks "72nd Virtual Fighter Wing" for all you've done to help my fun number.

Posted Image

BTW;
Total Air War is where I'm comfortable,
Thanks to Home Fries & my friends that I MP with.

Edited by Hawkx, 09 September 2011 - 08:22 AM.

Posted Image

#19 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:10 AM

You got that right Battie.
Check out the the Welcome to the 72nd Virtual Fighter Wing

I'm actually a member there, but this is the site I'm used to: :unsure:

http://www.72ndvfw.o...display.php?f=5

They actually run MP F4AF training sessions on an occasional, but very structured basis, which I'm again thinking of applying to do.
Spoke to Eugene and HF today on TS3 and explained again my wish to go down the F4AF path before possibly moving to BMS4. They understand.

These two clips are just sensational. :icon_bow: Sorry Hawkx had to duplicate your re-direction above, just in case people don't watch it there.

Partitioned HDD:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#20 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:10 PM

I wish i could get the effect all the time (sunlight lit).

Posted Image

rather than this because its so much harder to see the instruments (non sunlight lit).

Posted Image

and this is with all the Shaders turned off in the config.exe.

Any suggestions?

Partitioned HDD:

Spoiler

Spoiler