COMBATSIM Forum
Home Fries

Falcon 4.0 BMS 4 Out

Well I've managed to get 60 FPS at Kimpo and over enemy lines in campaign........but final thing to address is when both sides kick off and start blasting each other in campaign, explosions everywhere, thats the biggest FPS killer in this game!....both sides kicking off in a mass battle in campaign...if I can get a constant 60 FPS during that then I might not get the GTX 590 liquid cooled!, yes thats right you can get the GTX 590 with liquid cooling now!, so no need for all them fans. ;)

Hope my system is not bottlenecking?.

Hi Red,

I know there was a way to test to see where the Bottleneck is. I will try and find out the Technique used to spot a bottleneck in a system..

But thing is these benchmarks like the game do NOT max the usage of the cards Potential.. When you were done the test was there a way to compare your Score with other scores and similar systems??

I will run it to see what I get in the score..

Well I ran it and thought I saved the Screenshot but it did NOT will have to run the benchmarks again.. But I scored Higher in the DX11 Benchmark then the DX9..

I would say for the Resolution you are running and Settings all maxed out for a DX11 Game SLI would be benificial. But I didnt think you would run any newer Sims .. But if you are unhappy with the FPS in F4. Not sure if SLI would do you anygood in F4.. Perhaps it would in the Unigine Benchmark but F4 I hear works better with AMD and would not work much better weith a Dual card setup....

Perhaps if you want to chance and get a 590 but if a 570 Single didnt do it for you in F4 I would say the game is NOT optimised for the Newer cards..

Neph I had the same problem with superpak 4.2 on old laptop.....took me weeks to get it right, its just something with Falcon, the FPS swings are crazy, and I just need consistency to enjoy fully.....this is where TAW and EF2000 shine!, I've been on all the BMS forums and even people with high end systems still get FPS drops with Falcon......but yeah run that Heaven Benchmark test and post cheers!, one sight I was looking at said the 480 performed better than the 570!?

Red I ran the HB and here is my score with an OC GPU Stock CPU:

FPS:53.2

Score: 1339

Min FPS: 34.0

Max FPS: 115.0

Resolutiuon 3072x768..

EDIT: SAME TEST Stock Speed on GPU and CPU:

FPS: 38.7

Score: 975

Min FPS: 24.7

Max FPS:76.7

Setting the same on both:

Render: DX11

Mode: 3072 x 768 Similar to your 1920x1200..

Shaders: medium

Textures: High

Now as you see the OC system Performs well enough to warrant OC your System.. Now it would go even higher with the CPU OC as well..

These Benchmarks can be the Stuff of FPS and If you want to chase that Dream you will need to OverClock Heavily and have the Latest TOP End Gear..

Had I know that you wanted to score High in a Benchmark I could have reccomened you 2 590's but would it be worth it for F4 and TAW,EF2K Probally not..

there has to be a balance do you want to run the Sims you currently fly well or do you want to get High scores in a benchmark??

I would say to get a 40 FPS in F4 is still NOT really bad.. ya it may cause a slowdown but that could be a fault with the code and not necassarily your System..That Heaven Benchmark has lots of stuff going on and will bring even a 590 to it's knees given enought Rez and Maxed settings..

I get the slowdown too in F4 and does NOT ruin the experience for me. I just try avoiding flying through smoke.. Sometimes NOT possible..but it really lasts for only a few seconds and if you find the right balance of Settings vs hardware you can minimise the Slowdown..

I would say you can Still OC your CPU and GPU to probally get a few more FPS in the benchmark.. and comparing the 480 you saw vs the 570 was the 480 on an OC system vs the Standard setting for the 570.. You really have to be carefull and check what settings they used and if the system was OverClocked or not..

Especially when you see someone with a similar system as your and they may have doubled your score make sure you see what they are Clocked at and the settings they used.. Also Anti Aliasing will bring a system to a Crawl quick especailly at a higher rez.. If you like AA and 1920x1200 Rez and you want a higher score in the HB get 2 580's or 2 590's..

Now they will probally offer little gain to the Sims you fly vs the cost.. but if you really wanna score high in these benchmarks I would suggest getting the TOP end Stuff..but chasing that is elusive and even the lates gear will Bottleneck as some point, it just depends on How Well the code utilizes the Hardware..

I am going to try unclocking my GPU and see what the Difference is in Score compared to an OC to see if OC your system would be justifiable.. Me I just like running Full out regardless of the gains but there should be a gain no less..

OK gimme a minute and Ill rerun the test same settings just at Normal Operating speed on the GPU..

Can somebody tell me what's wrong with 38.7 FPS MINIMUM! :blink: Unless your eyes are something special and you have a huge screen, it would look good to most simmers. Start enjoying F4.0 BMS: just turn off FRAPS and you'll never know. ;)

Can somebody tell me what's wrong with 38.7 FPS MINIMUM! :blink: Unless your eyes are something special and you have a huge screen, it would look good to most simmers. Start enjoying F4.0 BMS: just turn off FRAPS and you'll never know. ;)

Actually there is nothing wrong I game at 38.7 All the time..Dont think there is anybottleneck so to speak Red has gotten a FPS Bug and that can be dangerous well to the wallett anyhow ;)

Hey Red just got some responces from some other guys they say there is NO Bottleneck on your PC.. If you get to a Point where you are chasing FPS that can get costly and dangerous with OC..

I would say we can OC your CPU and GPU and maybe get about 15 more FPS in that bench as I got 10FPS more with just the Vid card OC..

That benchmark means nothing. If I run it I get this:

heaven3d.jpg

...but still get slowdowns in F4 since the game is not written around that hardware.

Maybe I need a card that can stay above 60 FPS?

heaveni.png

here are some other scores based on your setup:

1547 – i7 2600K(4.5GHz), 2x 1.5G GTX580(772/1544/1002)

1434 – i7 920(4.0GHz), 2x 1.3G GTX570(stock?)

1126 – i7 2600K(4.1GHz), 2x 1.5G EVGA GTX580SC(stock?)

1124– i7 2600(3.4GHz), 2x 2G HD6950>6970(800/1375)

1037 – i7 920(3.7GHz), 2x 1G Gigabyte GTX460

to be Honest you scored WELL.. ;).. If you OC the CPU and GPU would be higher..

If I run BMS maxed out I get FPS drops at random times, sometimes just sitting on runway looking about, you look in one direction and its a nice smooth 60 FPS, turn and look in another direction and it drops to 53 or 45 or sometimes 38......when the explosions are happening in campaign with ground units it slows down a lot too, just looking at the battle from a distance causes the slowdown, you don't need to fly through smoke, drops to about 48 FPS from 60 FPS (Vsync on), even with Vsync off it still drops to 48 or 38, and even if you drop resolution and disable all shaders it still slows down??, disabling the high graphics and shaders does nothing to stop these slowdowns??......so I think Mike could be right, its a problem with Falcon.

EDIT: The only thing that alleviates the problem a little is Object Density....the lower that is the better the FPS, but even that set to 1 does not fully cure it.

Could try OC on card and CPU as long as its safe?.....worth a try I guess?

Sure it is relatively safe but will it do anything for F4 is the question.. I was wondering if you have MultiSampling enabled and wehat level do you have it on in F4??

Multi Sampling enabled at level one....OC probably won't work because Mike has i7 2600 and GTX 590 and he still gets slowdowns, anyway I'm almost there now, I'm getting smooth play in campaign but having to play at Object Density 3, but thats not bad, still lots of ground units and air targets.....all shaders off and cockpit reflections off, but very smooth 60 FPS so-far.

Red,

The thing is that with the exception of particle effects, none of the whiz-bang graphics options will affect your framerates. You have one of the best cards money can buy; a card that is optimized for shaders, HDR, antialiasing, etc. Reducing particle effects is a known remedy for any card (and the code likely needs to be optimized to improve that part of things), but the issues that are causing a slowdown have more to do with things that due to falcon legacy code use more CPU than current conventions recommend. For example, the object density you reference hits the nail on the head. You get more slowdowns near the front line and in major cities (e.g. Seoul, a major city by the front line :o ), and that's something that has always existed.

Having quantified my argument above, I'll just cover down on Wombat and tell you to "Kill the FRAPS and just enjoy the freakin' sim!" Of course, you can turn the graphical eye-candy up first. ;)

I told you all before.......I have OCD :lol: ........I can't rest till I get thing the way I need them, but I'm almost there now!, there is a tool you can bang in the bin x86 folder to limit FPS to 40 or 30 which would give a constant frame rate but I don't need that just yet, but if the OCD gets bad and I can't solve things, then it will be a must!. :lol:

I told you all before.......I have OCD :lol:

But when Wombat tells you to quit worrying about the details, that pushes things to a new extreme! :rofl: :rofl:

Turned off the FPS counter, reinstalled BMS, running on full graphics, maxed out, can't even notice the difference now?, even over Kimpo.......Its that stupid FPS counter thing, its bad for OCD. :rolleyes:

Turned off the FPS counter, reinstalled BMS, running on full graphics, maxed out, can't even notice the difference now?, even over Kimpo.......Its that stupid FPS counter thing, its bad for OCD. :rolleyes:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:;)

Hey Wombat you back now?.....I've had 2 engineers out and all my cables renewed and I got the master socket moved so computer runs directly off that now because apparently all the telephone extensions in the house were causing problems too so my internet should be fixed now and speed gone up a little too. :)

Hey Wombat you back now?.....I've had 2 engineers out and all my cables renewed and I got the master socket moved so computer runs directly off that now because apparently all the telephone extensions in the house were causing problems too so my internet should be fixed now and speed gone up a little too. :)

Not really: baby sitting my 4 year old grandson for a week; then week away on the bike; then the World SBK at the Island for 4 days. Weather's so good here. Too good to miss. ;)

tempmm.png

xsbench.png

This is a XS BENCH test........I'm not overclocked I think but in ASUS EZ MODE you have three options, ECO MODE, NORMAL, and PERFORMANCE, this is in PERFORMANCE MODE?

Not really: baby sitting my 4 year old grandson for a week; then week away on the bike; then the World SBK at the Island for 4 days. Weather's so good here. Too good to miss. ;)

Sounds good!, northeast England not so warm at the mo, but spring on the way, which is bad!, because during winter I have excuse to stay indoors and fly TAW and Falcon, in summer I can't use that excuse, and I have to cut grass and dig garden and paint house!!, I need more excuses in summer ;)

Sounds good!, northeast England not so warm at the mo, but spring on the way, which is bad!, because during winter I have excuse to stay indoors and fly TAW and Falcon, in summer I can't use that excuse, and I have to cut grass and dig garden and paint house!!, I need more excuses in summer ;)

:lol:

My pursuit for 60 FPS is justified ;) ......I WANT THIS REALISM :lol: ....and so do you!! ;)

EDIT: Even this vid looks about 48 FPS.....could be better. ;):rofl:

Interesting:

He has his right hand on the canopy at one point. Does he have a left-handed joystick?

His SA is superb, as shown during "eyeballing" anything.