COMBATSIM Forum
The_Nephilim

What drew you to Flight Sims??

Hi All,

I was sitting here thinking and was wondering what drew you to Play Flight Sims like Falcon4..

For me it has been an desire to be a Military pilot but do did not have the 20/20 vision required and never joined the service.. I did NOT know it at the time but I could have gotten a Back seat positon as that did not require 20/20 vision am I right??

Well I had gotten into computers way back in 1981 with a Radio Shack TSR 80 in High school. well soon after that I got a Vic 20 and been computing ever since..

Well in `1988 I was at the EB and looking for a new game for my newly aquired PC I think it was a 25mhz screamer with maybe 4 mb memoory LOL!!

WEll I saw on the Shelf "RED BARON" well it peaked my interes having interes in planes, I looked at the back of the Box and saw the Graphics and was like WOW, I bought it for 50bucks went home and well it has been an epic journey with my flight simming hobby..

I played sims since then and all kinds but then in 1995 I saw EF2000 DOS mode and was like WOW. I think that was my first Most Realistic Flight sim to date..THNX DID.. Well then F4 happened to the world and sadly my PC at the time a P1 233mhz was UNABLE to run it. So I shelfed F4 until about when SP3 came out..

Well it has been a long time simming and enjoyed every minute of my Sim time.. I remember back in 1998 when it was on the net they had info on the Simulatrs down in Langley, I remember reading about the PC's for the sims it was a Hewlett Packard with 6 CPU's I was Blown away at that.. well since reading about those Simulators I always dreamed of getting to get into a Military grade simulator..

I have seen Screenshots of most of the cool ones (EXCEPT the 25' Domed F22 Simulator in Texas DROOL) I did see an declassified version of the F22 by some MetaVR company that had the MFD panel was way cool.. Well I realise know that getting a ride in a Military sim is probally never gonna:

http://www.metavr.com/casestudies/f-22.html

WEll I had a turn of Events wehn F4 BMS 4.32 was realeased.. I was told the day oit was released and instead of playing ArmA with Eugen and Recluse that night we all were Downloading BMS 4.32.. WEll I got it quick with my Fast Connection and installed it right quick.. Well while I was DL it we where looking through the BMS Page about info on the NEW F4..

Well I noticed it had 3 Screen capability I was like I am installing it now.. Well I did and got it running in 3 Screens at that moment I realised I know have a Military styled Simulator in MY OWN House..WEll I then by chance tried enabling S3D and it Worked I was TOTALLY SURPRISED!!

WEll as you all know my setup I am so Glad I did that now that F4 BMS has the capability I been having a blast but still learning the controls but having FUN!!

So Basically I have now what I always dreamed of since 1996 and we all get to FLy a F16 simulation that is Worthy and probally could rival what the military has..

So I hope all of you are Enjoying F4 BMS 4.32 as much as I have been. Heck because of this I am trying to build a mock up of the F16 pit.. I would like to get a working and Fully Functional MFD, RWR, DED and ICP maybe an HSI Panel..

Well I had bought some F16 MFD panels after Wombat twisted my arem a few days ago, well I even tracked down a HOTAS cougar and have that on order and the Throttle is already here look so cool and is HEAVY!!

WEll I am looking forward to hearing your Story of what drew you to Flight Simulations..as this is what brought me to where I am today..

I started simming at age 11 with F-15 Strike Eagle for the Atari 800. Went from "Arcade" flight model to the next level up (where you actually roll, and you don't just yaw), and discovered that I could tighten my turn by pulling back on the stick (I know this is second nature now, but back then I was an eleven year old studying fractions; no vector math or physics education at the time). I think it was that very revelation that got me hooked. Moved onto the original Gunship on the family Tandy 1000 (a screaming 4.77Mhz, keyboard, monochrome monitor) and basically won every mission/campaign in the game. Got the MoH on a Warsaw Pact mission where I must've bagged an entire armor battalion; used up all 16 Hellfires and all of my cannon rounds, landed a severely wounded helo with no fuel to spare, all with keyboard.

Applied for service academies and ROTC scholarships in high school, accepted Naval ROTC. Flew Falcon 3.0 religiously in college. My roommate and I would null-modem Falcon 3.0 and MiG-29 to dogfight (coop campaign was too buggy). Got commissioned in the US Navy with service selection as Naval Flight Officer (backseater; I also didn't have 20/20). Got some time in the F/A-18D sim (the dome) as an Ensign.

Been feeding the bug ever since! :thumbsup:

BTW, that Block 60 video was pretty sweet. Interesting how the pilot referred to the "Deemus" and "Teemus" for DMS and TMS respectively. I'll have to remember that in order to sound salty.

BTW, that Block 60 video was pretty sweet. Interesting how the pilot referred to the "Deemus" and "Teemus" for DMS and TMS respectively. I'll have to remember that in order to sound salty.

Yes that was cool.. like the pit too BLK 60 YES!!

I didn't have 20/20 vision, enough gray matter or education to fly a real one. I got interested in flying at a very old age and my first sim was Air Warrior. I didn't have enough computer to fly online at that time so I flew offline. I spent most of my time flying under bridges inverted in a P38. Now that I think of it, the engines lost oil pressure when inverted and thats an old sim.

I then found Flying Circus online and by then I could hang in there with my faster AMD 200 processor, wow. The sim was not very realistic because you could open the throtle at 4500ft and dive straight down, the wings did not come off. The maneuvers were ok in combat other than the diving.

I then found Red Baron and did very well there, I was only in my mid 50's. I was sickened when the end came for the best sim I had ever flown in and there were servers everywhere.

Then, I found a few ww2 sims that had the worst flight models that I had ever seen, I went from one to the other and then came Pacific Fighters. I had all of the add ons until IL2 1946 came out and thats where I am today.

I have tried the auto race, the space war sims and even some Neverwinter Nights. I have kept on with the flying sims, admitting that I was better in the slower, more agile planes than the faster WW2 aircraft. Jets are out of the question for me, just too fast.

So, in answer to your question,.....It's simple, flying has an extra dimention over all other games that I have tried. :)

Hmmm?

I just loved 'em from the git go. I just have a seemingly innate love for the challenge of flying, landing, and dog fighting. You can throw mid-air refuelling into that list when I was into jet sims.

My first few sims:

• F/A-18 Hornet on the Amiga computer
  • Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Trainer (PC)
  • F-15 Strike Eagle III (PC)
  • EF2000 (PC)

My zeal for EF2000 was the impetus behind the creation of COMBATSIM.COM. Naturally, my involvement with CSIM allowed me to try every air combat sim on the market, but like TCat above, I settled on IL-2 as my favorite. I must say, though, that when it came to pointy-nosed kerosene burners, I played a ton of EF2K and F22: ADF/TAW back in the day. I never did cotton on to Falcon 4, and although Su-27 had very nice features, ultimately I found it rather sterile (no doubt I wasn't using it to its fullest).

It was 1991....I had just bought an IBM PS-1 386-DX w/8 megs ram and a 60 meg HD.

DOS-5 was the software of the year winner.

Falcon 3.0 was on the shelf....I liked the idea...I liked the packaging.

And it's been downhill ever since....=))=

Anyone remember the TV show "Connections?" It showed how the strangest things way back when led to things we have and see today. My entry in flight sims was similar, but all of my connections are tied to aviation in general. I started flying U-control model airplanes when I was around 10 years old thanks to my dad, who started out flying free flight in '40s, or maybe even the '30s. Later, my bother, sister and I would hang out at the local airport, even scoring the ocassional ride. My brother got his private license and did a tour in the Air Force (not as a pilot, though). I took flying lessons but never soloed. I talked to an Air Force recruiter, but never signed up. One of the biggest regrets of my life. My son is currently in the Air Force as a crew chief on the AC-130U Spooky gunship. In the model world, I moved on to RC and still build and fly today. My sister married a flying instructor and I put in more time on his planes. Getting into flight sims was simply a natural progression. I remember joking at an airshow, "Who needs real planes when we have flight simulators?" That got a few chuckles.

My sims in rough chronological order:

F-15 Strike Eagle on the Commodore 64.

F-119 Stealth Fighter, ditto.

F-14 Fleet Defender on a Gateway PC.

Flight of the Intruder, ditto.

Jane's F-15, on whatever new PC I had at the time (lost count of upgrades by now).

Falcon 4.0 (never got passed the crashes on take off; got lost in all the patches and upgrades; gave up)

F-22 TAW (last flight sim before getting out of sims years ago, now back into it)

I have no idea what got me thinking about sims again recently. I honestly thought I would never do another sim and gave my Saitek controllers to my son a while ago. I ended up buying a new set recently.

My first Sim was this, Flight Simulator for the 48k ZX Spectrum:

But once I got Fighter Bomber for the Amiga 600 I was hooked on Combat Flight Sims:

Isn't the Ace Combat series console only?

I've wanted an excuse to buy a Xbox360 or PS3, but get the impression that you must follow a certain path through the games.

Lovely graphics though!

Isn't the Ace Combat series console only?

I've wanted an excuse to buy a Xbox360 or PS3, but get the impression that you must follow a certain path through the games.

Lovely graphics though!

Yes, console only. But I don't think the newer Ace Combats are as good, it used to be Sony exclusive and then Namco screwed us over by making Ace Combat 6 Xbox 360 exclusive. Ace Combat Assault Horizon for PS3 and 360 took away all the values I loved about older Ace Combats. In the old ones Namco mixed Arcade and Simulator very well, you had a lot of missiles/bombs but the flight physics felt good. In Assault Horizon they took the somewhat realistic flight physics and flushed it down the toilet, planes doing scripted moves that would make your eyes bleed in real life.

Yes the story is linear, but I have fun everytime I play, Plenty of space to fly in and find targets

Ace Combat 1,2,3,04,5, and Zero is better than 6 and Assault Horizon