Home Fries

Fed up with Training or Single Player Missions?

69 posts in this topic

I have to hear this story!

BTW, I get around that by keeping cannon armed. Either cannon or AIM-9X works, as long as your AIM-9X are internal only. The AIM-9X (when stored internally) takes two trigger pulls to launch (the first opens the bay door).

AIM-9's can be mounted 2 per outboard rail.

It takes TAW BC to design that crazy custom loadout.

I have to hear this story!

BTW, I get around that by keeping cannon armed.

Sorry HF I also do the same. Just trying to big-note myself with my previous post.:P Mind you, I wouldn't put it past me in one of my panic modes .... ;)

Yeah!!....i got the SOB's....Yeah!!

46000853.png

Certainly a challenge.......i wouldn't change it HF, i enjoyed trying to conquer this one, and the difficulty of it just give this particular training mission longevity. ^_^

Yeah!!....i got the SOB's....Yeah!!

Certainly a challenge.......i wouldn't change it HF, i enjoyed trying to conquer this one, and the difficulty of it just give this particular training mission longevity. ^_^

:thumbsup: My solution? sacrifice your wingman .... :lol:

Poor wingman got wacked straight away!.....best A.I. wingman i ever knew, i'd send a sympathy card to his family but i'm not sure he has any?, he died to give me the glory.....farewell Wingy....whatever your name was? :(

Poor wingman got wacked straight away!.....best A.I. wingman i ever knew, i'd send a sympathy card to his family but i'm not sure he has any?, he died to give me the glory.....farewell Wingy....whatever your name was? :(

wombatcopilotretired.jpg

His name was Wolf 0 2. :icon_salute3:

Send a sympathy card to Wombat.

My hat is off to you. The counter-measures mission is as tough as they come. I immediately ask the tower for direct approach clearance, then go to the bag-o-tricks. I've tried the all the techniques covered in the briefing and still get whacked every time. If they weren't using guns, it would be easier, but it's always the bullets that get me.

Just tried this one, got it on the first try, but it is tricky...

Since fuel isn't important here I slammed it to full power and went full speed ahead with a nose down attitude.

When I came up on the airfield I declare a "Teardrop approach" and I had 900 knots Indicated AirSpeed as I slam the power to idle and deploy speed brakes.

A quick sweeping turn towards the designated runway bleeds me down past 500 knots and down to 260.

I deploy the gear and 240 knots and dow a touchdown at roughly 200 knots...

Definitly calls for some speedy moves that one, not something you see in the "real world" of TAW.

Mind you, if it was in MP he would have respawned. ;)

Just tried this one, got it on the first try, but it is tricky...Since fuel isn't important here I slammed it to full power and went full speed ahead with a nose down attitude.When I came up on the airfield I declare a "Teardrop approach" and I had 900 knots Indicated AirSpeed as I slam the power to idle and deploy speed brakes.A quick sweeping turn towards the designated runway bleeds me down past 500 knots and down to 260.I deploy the gear and 240 knots and dow a touchdown at roughly 200 knots...Definitly calls for some speedy moves that one, not something you see in the "real world" of TAW.

Try Counter Measures on MEDIUM level Sweeper like i did!.....even more tricky!, i've only recently switched to EASY because i had no idea i was on MEDIUM until i flew MP!, :lol: , the rocket attack mission i completed on EASY, the key was head towards the ships at full thrust, and make sure you get the target lined up bang on before releasing the rockets, then i turned hard left in a slight dive for extra speed to avoid the anti-aircraft fire, get the ships that shoot back first!, then if you run out of rockets you can easily take out the non-shooters with cannon.

Fed up with Training or Single Player Missions?

OK,, Try this if your are bored. :popcornsmilie:

In another life they called me "The Jet Man". :icon_salute3:

Try Counter Measures on MEDIUM level Sweeper like i did!.....even more tricky!, i've only recently switched to EASY because i had no idea i was on MEDIUM until i flew MP!, :lol: , the rocket attack mission i completed on EASY, the key was head towards the ships at full thrust, and make sure you get the target lined up bang on before releasing the rockets, then i turned hard left in a slight dive for extra speed to avoid the anti-aircraft fire, get the ships that shoot back first!, then if you run out of rockets you can easily take out the non-shooters with cannon.

Could do that, but it would break my Yemen campaign and turn it into "Impossible" :P

It is hard enough to stretch those counter measures stores already.

Well if you do try Counter Measures on MEDIUM level here's a little tip.....since you don't complete it till the Raptor has come to a halt on the runway, land with your wheels up!, skidding on your belly slows you down much quicker! :lol:

Well if you do try Counter Measures on MEDIUM level here's a little tip.....since you don't complete it till the Raptor has come to a halt on the runway, land with your wheels up!, skidding on your belly slows you down much quicker! :lol:

The bad thing about going in on the belly is that you have to have a lower speed and that is kinda hard to do since you have to come in high and hot.

Well i headed straight for runway at full thrust in M5 from mission start position!, backed of power completely and slapped airbrake on when runway at 90 degrees to my left!, well a bit earlier than that!... then when your turning towards runway the turning itself slows you down loads!....belly flop in and keep it in straight line when your skidding in. :popcornsmilie:

erew.png

Contacted tower and asked for the belly flop approach. :lol:

Well i was doing over 1000 knots before i backed off power and slapped airbrake on, :lol: , hard turns are key to slowing down quick! :popcornsmilie: ....luck is key too with this one.

The truth is, you want to face the brunt of TAW...Well the training missions isn't the best way to "battle harden" in my opinion.It is the campaigns, things that seems simple can quickly turn into a friggin nightmare.Like the "milk run" description I gave Home Fries a while ago, it was all bandit and SAM clear until my return trip, where I got damage, fuel leak, and I spent my remaining fuel climbing to have a high potential energy.While I was gliding towards my homebase, 2x fully loaded strike flights spot me, and I cannot manouver or do anything as I have no engine power and barely enough energy, my airspeed was similar to a 737's climbing speed.In short, I belly landed that Raptor with barely any systems left, and empty stores of chaff and flares...That is what the campaign can expect you to pull off, and that is on easy.

See what you mean Sweeper!!.....just done a SEAD Strike, holy crap!, must of been about 30 bad guys flying round target area!, was lucky to get home, i just hit and ran!, let the Wild Weasel's deal with them, if they survived?? :o ....and that's on easy level!!

Well i headed straight for runway at full thrust in M5 from mission start position!, backed of power completely and slapped airbrake on when runway at 90 degrees to my left!, well a bit earlier than that!... then when your turning towards runway the turning itself slows you down loads!....belly flop in and keep it in straight line when your skidding in. :popcornsmilie:

Ye ........ I did the same at the end of a MP mission yesterday ........ only thing ..... I just forgot to put the wheels down ....... :rofl: In fact ..... now I think of it ....... where was "Betty"? Probably drowned out by the cricket commentators .... ;)

Well try forgetting the landing gear in the MD-11, it will go on your nerves with alarms and betty will be bitching about "Landing Gear"

You get one loud warning beep and then the "Laaanding Geear." from Betty and then one beep as the warning repeats until the gear is down and locked.

Of course it has other warnings too if you forget flaps or spoilers.

Of course, Wombat in a civillian airliner might trigger this:

Well try forgetting the landing gear in the MD-11, it will go on your nerves with alarms and betty will be bitching about "Landing Gear"

You get one loud warning beep and then the "Laaanding Geear." from Betty and then one beep as the warning repeats until the gear is down and locked.

Interesting ....... and all male voices. I'll stick with betty. ;)

EDIT: Hmmmmmm ...... betty doesn't tell you "ground proximity" when in landing mode with gear up. Can't blame the cricket commentators distraction then ..... ;)

Edited by Wombat1940

During development of the F/A-18, the U.S. military studied the issue of which vocal annuciator worked best in the cockpit environment. It was found that a female voice stood out, likely due to the dominance of male voices at that time in radio communication, hence Betty was adopted. I saw a documentary in which Gen. Robin Olds was recounting an F-4 mission over North Vietnam, saying how the aircrew was subjected to sensory overload. "You had the radar warning receiver going off, the sidewinder growler, somebody always yelling on Guard frequency, so after awhile we turned a lot of that stuff off and just concentrated on keeping our eyes open for SAM launches". You can see why a voice that stood out from the background clutter would be most effective.

It has a nice beat and I could ditch to it..!!!! I'd give it a 6 out of 10 score...

Well the GPWS or Ground Proximity Warning System in civillian jets are male based for some reason.

Of course he has been nicknamed "Bitching Bob" but if he says pull up, you better do it, or start doing it.

A 747 doesn't actually change direction on a dime so to speak :P

Anyways, the Bitching Betty for the Boeing 717 (Boeing rebranded MD-80 essentially.) can be found here: