Home Fries

Fed up with Training or Single Player Missions?

69 posts in this topic

During development of the F/A-18, the U.S. military studied the issue of which vocal annuciator worked best in the cockpit environment. It was found that a female voice stood out, likely due to the dominance of male voices at that time in radio communication, hence Betty was adopted. I saw a documentary in which Gen. Robin Olds was recounting an F-4 mission over North Vietnam, saying how the aircrew was subjected to sensory overload. "You had the radar warning receiver going off, the sidewinder growler, somebody always yelling on Guard frequency, so after awhile we turned a lot of that stuff off and just concentrated on keeping our eyes open for SAM launches". You can see why a voice that stood out from the background clutter would be most effective.

is it likely that we males will respond to female voice more readily than a male voice? That sexual thing?

is it likely that we males will respond to female voice more readily than a male voice? That sexual thing?

More than likely we are used to the female voice barking out commands that we know we better respond to (or else...).... :o

More than likely we are used to the female voice barking out commands that we know we better respond to (or else...).... :o

Ye .... I agree, but I think there is a sexual thing to it. That is to male heterosexuals anyway. If I'm going to get a speeding ticket from a cop, I appreciate it more accept it more graciously if "its" female. ;)

Edited by Wombat1940

Not just a sexual thing, but a recognition thing, at least in the military. Considering most military pilots are male,having a female voice in your headset with a bunch of male voices on the radio tends to make it stick out more. If Betty were Bob in the military aircraft, "he" would be more likely to get ignored in the clutter.

Not just a sexual thing, but a recognition thing, at least in the military. Considering most military pilots are male,having a female voice in your headset with a bunch of male voices on the radio tends to make it stick out more. If Betty were Bob in the military aircraft, "he" would be more likely to get ignored in the clutter.

Ye ..... I can understand that.

I think a few other factors could also come intro play.. I'm tempted to agree with Wombat, as I think he also has a point about the sexism thing.

The 'competition' feeling you have when another male would give a male advice is something that (I'm guessing) could affect the way one percieves the warning.

I think a male pilot might question the warning's intention to actually help him in a life/death situation, if it's given by another male.

Of course this is generalizing the situation, but I think it could also be a factor..

Really interesting though!

Funny that betty really exists though :D

I might be coming to the forum a bit early on this single-player mission, but after about six or more tries I can't get passed the first kill box in the "Threat Kill" mission within the Red Sea Tour. The two scud launchers are surrounded by SAMS and, I think, some AAA. Either three enemy fighters, or two pair of fighters, are in the area.

I have tried to draw the enemy fighters away from the SAM threat zone with minimal success. Maybe I need to get further away, but then the fighters won't pick up my flight and engage. We still need to approach the target zone, whether to go after the scuds or kill the fighters. I send my wingmen to engage the fighters while I stay on the outer edge of the SAM threat zone and try to get all of the SAMs to launch (I read about that strategy in the TAW Wiki). I don't know how long that should take, but it hasn't worked yet. I'll get some SAMS to launch, but others remain. Meanwhile, I can't seem to avoid getting drawn into the dogfight since at least one of the enemy fighters is still dogging me.

At the moment, this is feeling like a suicide mission. I don't know how to attack such a heavily defended target with Mavericks and dumb bumbs, both of which put you squarely in the SAM and AAA kill zone.

While I feel like I'm almost asking for the cheat to get through a scripted mission, what I would really like is to learn the finer points of strategy I'm missing.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Sincerely,

Paul

I'm restricted to minimal TAW2.0 at the moment; therefore SPing when I can and unfortunately no MP. Hence I''ll give it ago. But have you looked at page 273 of the F-22 ADF Strategy Guide? Its not cheating; its a report from a recon. flight immediately available prior to your package take-off. ;) Also when you get in the cockpit hit <DEL> key have a look at the in-flight briefing map. It all helps. You might be able to locate a friendly base to rearm with mavericks.

Hi Wombat,

I did read the Strategy Guide and have been trying to follow it. I will say that I have to get it in my head that it's possible to land and re-arm. I still think I'm missing something on mission strategy in general. There must be some way to approach this successfully. I'll keep trying!

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Wombat,

I did read the Strategy Guide and have been trying to follow it. I will say that I have to get it in my head that it's possible to land and re-arm. I still think I'm missing something on mission strategy in general. There must be some way to approach this successfully. I'll keep trying!

Thanks,

Paul

I gave it a quick go. My wingies couldn't taken out the two F16, and I wasn't paying attention. :nuke: You need the sky clear before you sort out the ground "T's". I possibly didn't suck the F16's far enough away from the target area and I'm also a lousy pilot. ;) Like you, I'll keep trying. :thumbsup:

...and I'm also a lousy pilot.

Just FYI--I'm not buying it! :)

I managed to get past WP 2 successfully. :dancinguy:

However that pair of troublesome F16's did take some removing. My AI wingman just decided to take on the A - G, after missing out on taking out the F16's. Even when I targeted them, they very effectively dodged one "C" and two "Heaters". :shrug:

I used the <J> key to clear the HUD and cycled through the A - G target to locate the SCUDS (i.e. "T's") and removed them with a couple of "Mavericks". By this time I'd lost my number 3 and I was down to one "C". I decided to bail-out and have supper. :P But I'll be back. ;)

:woohoo: Woo hoo! I finally beat the "Threat Kill" mission. I decided to take the targets in reverse, not really sure if that would make a difference. I unleashed all of my Mavericks in the first kill box and made sure I got the scuds, took out an F-16, but lost a wingman in the process (may he rest in peace). Went to a divert airbase to re-arm, which was dumb since it was further than my home base, and then took out the next two target areas, including the train, which requires two hits. One wingman took a hit and ran out of gas on the way back to base to re-arm. Hope he bailed out. We haven't heard from him since. Now for the big kahuna, way point 2. :whoa: I decided to approach from the south rather than loop north. I also decided to approach in Emcon 5 to get everything to light up early. It worked. As soon as I locked my ground targets I went back into E1. SAMs and AAA went dark for a while. Tried to send my wingman after the ground targets while I dealt with the F-16Us. Didn't work (I might have still been in Emcon 1). We each took out an F-16U. I dodged a few SAMs, hit the two scuds then made a sprint out of the threat zone. Done at medium difficulty level. Mission accomplished. :beer2:

Now that's how to play TAW.

I love that train kill thing.

F-22-Total-Air-War-221.gif

Join us on TS3. I'm on now.

ts303.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still learning, but having better success.

:woohoo: Woo hoo! I finally beat the "Threat Kill" mission. I decided to take the targets in reverse, not really sure if that would make a difference. I unleashed all of my Mavericks in the first kill box and made sure I got the scuds, took out an F-16, but lost a wingman in the process (may he rest in peace). Went to a divert airbase to re-arm, which was dumb since it was further than my home base, and then took out the next two target areas, including the train, which requires two hits. One wingman took a hit and ran out of gas on the way back to base to re-arm. Hope he bailed out. We haven't heard from him since. Now for the big kahuna, way point 2. :whoa: I decided to approach from the south rather than loop north. I also decided to approach in Emcon 5 to get everything to light up early. It worked. As soon as I locked my ground targets I went back into E1. SAMs and AAA went dark for a while. Tried to send my wingman after the ground targets while I dealt with the F-16Us. Didn't work (I might have still been in Emcon 1). We each took out an F-16U. I dodged a few SAMs, hit the two scuds then made a sprint out of the threat zone. Done at medium difficulty level. Mission accomplished. :beer2:

Now that's "all good thinkin' " :lol: and I like your use of E5 and E1. Also the most important bit: Get in and get out. No heroics. Just get the job done. Well done mate! :icon_salute3:

Should be added that if you want to practice your cannon skills (Need to learn the sight before you go out on fancy moves) I suggest you challenge the "fatties" that can't shoot back.

This means C-5 Galaxy, C-130, 747, C-17 etc in general all big transport aircraft.

Especially trying to lead them will give you an indication of how the sight goes, then you can step up to the plate with someone that bites back such as Harrier's and the new favourite of Hawx, the "French Bastard" Mirage :D

Good suggestion re. cannon skills. I'll do that.