Photo

Fed up with Training or Single Player Missions?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 I B Spectre

I B Spectre

First Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:45 PM

I had a hell of a job completing this one.

Posted Image

Got down on runway in the end on fire, with bullets and missles still coming in!.

My hat is off to you. The counter-measures mission is as tough as they come. I immediately ask the tower for direct approach clearance, then go to the bag-o-tricks. I've tried the all the techniques covered in the briefing and still get whacked every time. If they weren't using guns, it would be easier, but it's always the bullets that get me.

#22 CMDR Sweeper

CMDR Sweeper

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:08 PM

The truth is, you want to face the brunt of TAW...
Well the training missions isn't the best way to "battle harden" in my opinion.
It is the campaigns, things that seems simple can quickly turn into a friggin nightmare.
Like the "milk run" description I gave Home Fries a while ago, it was all bandit and SAM clear until my return trip, where I got damage, fuel leak, and I spent my remaining fuel climbing to have a high potential energy.
While I was gliding towards my homebase, 2x fully loaded strike flights spot me, and I cannot manouver or do anything as I have no engine power and barely enough energy, my airspeed was similar to a 737's climbing speed.
In short, I belly landed that Raptor with barely any systems left, and empty stores of chaff and flares...

That is what the campaign can expect you to pull off, and that is on easy.

#23 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,564 posts
  • Interests:Fight Sims, Motorbikes, Grand-children and a favorite Neighbour.

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:57 AM

The truth is, you want to face the brunt of TAW...
Well the training missions isn't the best way to "battle harden" in my opinion.
It is the campaigns, things that seems simple can quickly turn into a friggin nightmare.
Like the "milk run" description I gave Home Fries a while ago, it was all bandit and SAM clear until my return trip, where I got damage, fuel leak, and I spent my remaining fuel climbing to have a high potential energy.
While I was gliding towards my homebase, 2x fully loaded strike flights spot me, and I cannot manouver or do anything as I have no engine power and barely enough energy, my airspeed was similar to a 737's climbing speed.
In short, I belly landed that Raptor with barely any systems left, and empty stores of chaff and flares...

That is what the campaign can expect you to pull off, and that is on easy.

:thumbsup: Yes ...... its the uncertainty you experience within the Campaigns. No amount of training missions can get you completely ready for that. The other of course is MP missions. Particular if you've got me as your trusty, ever dependable wingie. That's why the AI wingman are so popular when I fly. They at least don't fly up your tailpipe when protecting your six, or accidentally letting off a stray missile when locked to the Lead for navigational purposes. :P

Custom built PC:Hardware:

Gigabyte Ultra Durable 3 GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard, Intel ® i7 920 2.67Ghz CPU, 8Gb Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX275 (896Mb mem) video card with Direct X9c, Realtek ALC850 sound circuitry, Samsung 21"(4x3)Flat LCD, TM Cougar joystick, TrackIR 3Pro, Logitech G330 Headset, ConnectAccess621 ADSL2/2 Router.

Partitioned HDD:

Software, 1st partition: XP Home SP3 32bit OS  with3.25Gb available memory running TAW2.0 Ed:2.20 Baseline + 2.21 Patch + 2.22a Patch + 2.30beta4, nGlide Wrapper 1600x1200 (Gamma Correction 1.2).

Software, 2nd partition: Vista Home Premium SP2 64bit OS with 6Gb available memory running DCSWorld plus DCS FC3.

Spoiler

MSI GE60 OND-288AU Notebook:Hardware:

15.6" (16 x 9) 1920 x 1080 HD anti-glare LCD screen, Intel ® Core ™ i7-3630QM 3rd Gen 3630QM Intel Core X64-based CPU, Intel HM76 Chipset with Turbo Drive Engine and Cooler Boost Technology, 16Gb DDR3 1600MHz Memory in two slots, NVIDIA Geforce GTX660M 3D Graphics Card with Direct X11, 2Gb GDDR5 Graphics VRAM, 750Gb SATA 7200 rpm HDD, Blue-Ray Optical drive, Saitek X52 joystick (alternatively, MS Sidewinder), Sierra USB Telstra 4G wireless modem (or WiFi in Bali).

Software: Win8.1 64-bit OS with 15.9Gb available memory running TAW2.0 Ed:2.20 Baseline + 2.21 Patch + 2.22a Patch + 2.30beta4 Patch, nGlide Wrapper 1920 x 1080 (Gamma Correction 0.7) Res. and DCSWorld plus DCS FC3.

Spoiler

#24 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,497 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:42 AM

or accidentally letting off a stray missile when locked to the Lead for navigational purposes. :P

I have to hear this story!

BTW, I get around that by keeping cannon armed. Either cannon or AIM-9X works, as long as your AIM-9X are internal only. The AIM-9X (when stored internally) takes two trigger pulls to launch (the first opens the bay door).
-Home Fries

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stuart Mill

The average Naval Aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Posted Image

#25 ajime

ajime

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:38 AM

BTW, I get around that by keeping cannon armed. Either cannon or AIM-9X works, as long as your AIM-9X are internal only. The AIM-9X (when stored internally) takes two trigger pulls to launch (the first opens the bay door).

Screw AMRAMM's. Sidewinders rule. I'd have them in all bays too bad maximum is only 6.

#26 Hawkx

Hawkx

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • Interests:Home Frie's latest release of Total Air War v 2.2
    All DID's Flight Sims.
    Including EF2000 (PC) - 1995
    F/A 18, EE1 & 2

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

AIM-9's can be mounted 2 per outboard rail.
It takes TAW BC to design that crazy custom loadout.
Posted Image

#27 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:10 PM

BTW, I get around that by keeping cannon armed.

Sorry HF I also do the same. Just trying to big-note myself with my previous post.:P Mind you, I wouldn't put it past me in one of my panic modes .... ;)

Gigabyte Ultra Durable 3 GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard, Intel ® i7 920 2.67Ghz CPU, 8Gb Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX275 (896Mb mem) video card with Direct X9c, Realtek ALC850 sound circuitry, Samsung 21"(4x3)Flat LCD, TM Cougar joystick, TrackIR 3Pro, Logitech G330 Headset, ConnectAccess621 ADSL2/2 Router.

Partitioned HDD:

Software, 1st partition: XP Home SP3 32bit OS  with3.25Gb available memory running TAW2.0 Ed:2.20 Baseline + 2.21 Patch + 2.22a Patch + 2.30beta4, nGlide Wrapper 1600x1200 (Gamma Correction 1.2).

Software, 2nd partition: Vista Home Premium SP2 64bit OS with 6Gb available memory running DCSWorld plus DCS FC3.

Spoiler

15.6" (16 x 9) 1920 x 1080 HD anti-glare LCD screen, Intel ® Core ™ i7-3630QM 3rd Gen 3630QM Intel Core X64-based CPU, Intel HM76 Chipset with Turbo Drive Engine and Cooler Boost Technology, 16Gb DDR3 1600MHz Memory in two slots, NVIDIA Geforce GTX660M 3D Graphics Card with Direct X11, 2Gb GDDR5 Graphics VRAM, 750Gb SATA 7200 rpm HDD, Blue-Ray Optical drive, Saitek X52 joystick (alternatively, MS Sidewinder), Sierra USB Telstra 4G wireless modem (or WiFi in Bali).

Software: Win8.1 64-bit OS with 15.9Gb available memory running TAW2.0 Ed:2.20 Baseline + 2.21 Patch + 2.22a Patch + 2.30beta4 Patch, nGlide Wrapper 1920 x 1080 (Gamma Correction 0.7) Res. and DCSWorld plus DCS FC3.

Spoiler

#28 Redfalcon

Redfalcon

Lt. Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

Yeah!!....i got the SOB's....Yeah!!

Posted Image

Certainly a challenge.......i wouldn't change it HF, i enjoyed trying to conquer this one, and the difficulty of it just give this particular training mission longevity. ^_^

#29 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:35 PM

Yeah!!....i got the SOB's....Yeah!!

Certainly a challenge.......i wouldn't change it HF, i enjoyed trying to conquer this one, and the difficulty of it just give this particular training mission longevity. ^_^

:thumbsup: My solution? sacrifice your wingman .... :lol:

Partitioned HDD:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#30 Redfalcon

Redfalcon

Lt. Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:49 PM

Poor wingman got wacked straight away!.....best A.I. wingman i ever knew, i'd send a sympathy card to his family but i'm not sure he has any?, he died to give me the glory.....farewell Wingy....whatever your name was? :(

#31 Hawkx

Hawkx

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
    All DID's Flight Sims.
    F/A 18, EE1 & 2

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:09 PM

Poor wingman got wacked straight away!.....best A.I. wingman i ever knew, i'd send a sympathy card to his family but i'm not sure he has any?, he died to give me the glory.....farewell Wingy....whatever your name was? :(

Posted Image

His name was Wolf 0 2. :icon_salute3:
Send a sympathy card to Wombat.
Posted Image

#32 Redfalcon

Redfalcon

Lt. Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:27 PM

:thumbsup:

#33 CMDR Sweeper

CMDR Sweeper

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:00 PM

My hat is off to you. The counter-measures mission is as tough as they come. I immediately ask the tower for direct approach clearance, then go to the bag-o-tricks. I've tried the all the techniques covered in the briefing and still get whacked every time. If they weren't using guns, it would be easier, but it's always the bullets that get me.

Just tried this one, got it on the first try, but it is tricky...
Since fuel isn't important here I slammed it to full power and went full speed ahead with a nose down attitude.
When I came up on the airfield I declare a "Teardrop approach" and I had 900 knots Indicated AirSpeed as I slam the power to idle and deploy speed brakes.
A quick sweeping turn towards the designated runway bleeds me down past 500 knots and down to 260.
I deploy the gear and 240 knots and dow a touchdown at roughly 200 knots...
Definitly calls for some speedy moves that one, not something you see in the "real world" of TAW.

#34 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:00 PM

Mind you, if it was in MP he would have respawned. ;)

Partitioned HDD:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#35 Redfalcon

Redfalcon

Lt. Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:44 AM

Just tried this one, got it on the first try, but it is tricky...Since fuel isn't important here I slammed it to full power and went full speed ahead with a nose down attitude.When I came up on the airfield I declare a "Teardrop approach" and I had 900 knots Indicated AirSpeed as I slam the power to idle and deploy speed brakes.A quick sweeping turn towards the designated runway bleeds me down past 500 knots and down to 260.I deploy the gear and 240 knots and dow a touchdown at roughly 200 knots...Definitly calls for some speedy moves that one, not something you see in the "real world" of TAW.

Try Counter Measures on MEDIUM level Sweeper like i did!.....even more tricky!, i've only recently switched to EASY because i had no idea i was on MEDIUM until i flew MP!, :lol: , the rocket attack mission i completed on EASY, the key was head towards the ships at full thrust, and make sure you get the target lined up bang on before releasing the rockets, then i turned hard left in a slight dive for extra speed to avoid the anti-aircraft fire, get the ships that shoot back first!, then if you run out of rockets you can easily take out the non-shooters with cannon.

#36 Hawkx

Hawkx

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
    All DID's Flight Sims.
    F/A 18, EE1 & 2

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

Fed up with Training or Single Player Missions?

OK,, Try this if your are bored. :popcornsmilie:

In another life they called me "The Jet Man". :icon_salute3:

!
Posted Image

#37 CMDR Sweeper

CMDR Sweeper

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:39 PM

Try Counter Measures on MEDIUM level Sweeper like i did!.....even more tricky!, i've only recently switched to EASY because i had no idea i was on MEDIUM until i flew MP!, :lol: , the rocket attack mission i completed on EASY, the key was head towards the ships at full thrust, and make sure you get the target lined up bang on before releasing the rockets, then i turned hard left in a slight dive for extra speed to avoid the anti-aircraft fire, get the ships that shoot back first!, then if you run out of rockets you can easily take out the non-shooters with cannon.

Could do that, but it would break my Yemen campaign and turn it into "Impossible" :P
It is hard enough to stretch those counter measures stores already.

#38 Redfalcon

Redfalcon

Lt. Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:42 PM

Well if you do try Counter Measures on MEDIUM level here's a little tip.....since you don't complete it till the Raptor has come to a halt on the runway, land with your wheels up!, skidding on your belly slows you down much quicker! :lol:

#39 CMDR Sweeper

CMDR Sweeper

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

Well if you do try Counter Measures on MEDIUM level here's a little tip.....since you don't complete it till the Raptor has come to a halt on the runway, land with your wheels up!, skidding on your belly slows you down much quicker! :lol:

The bad thing about going in on the belly is that you have to have a lower speed and that is kinda hard to do since you have to come in high and hot.

#40 Redfalcon

Redfalcon

Lt. Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:23 PM

Well i headed straight for runway at full thrust in M5 from mission start position!, backed of power completely and slapped airbrake on when runway at 90 degrees to my left!, well a bit earlier than that!... then when your turning towards runway the turning itself slows you down loads!....belly flop in and keep it in straight line when your skidding in. :popcornsmilie:

Posted Image

Contacted tower and asked for the belly flop approach. :lol: