The_Nephilim

Nephilim Builds an i5 Setup

54 posts in this topic

Well I got the Board back but will NOT be able to test it until next week sometime..Well I just hope it is fixed this time..

Well Currently I am considering keepin this board and just make a 2nd PC with it too play some other sims with my Old School 3D Setup..

All I need is get a new PSU and use the old one on the 2nd PC. Get a CPU and MemoryI still have an old 7950GT I can use I think it is still good..

I may just do that as some yoyo put the same board used for 100bucks hardly even worth selling now..

Make a rig for B-17 flying fortress.....I really liked that Sim, ain't tried 'B-17 The Mighty Eight' yet though so might look into that today.

well I still have not tested the mobo hopefully it will work and I will not need to open another case..

gonna be about 8 days till I get some money to get the board tested, I plan on building a 2nd PC to use my old ED 3D Glasses with TAW and JF/18..

I've acheived no slowdown status at Oject density 6 with BMS but had to drop to 1440x900 res with AA and AF switched off completely, and thats fine with me......a smooth combat flight sim is all I'm after.

Well Small UPDATE to my Rig..

I just got in the mail my other eVGA 480GTX and 1100Watt PSU.. I have it all hooked up and looking good just need to figure out why I can NOT get nVidia Surround mode to work but SLI and ROF is a Thing of Beaty..WOW is Cool to now Super Smooth

Well done Neph.......but on this upgrade subject I'd like to add that I've looked at vids of Flaming Cliffs, RoF, etc, etc and yes graphically they look ok, but they look more like moving pictures than a real engaging game, EF2000 win 95 is fast flowing, in TE or Campaign or any situation....I love it!!

Just remember, Red, that often the frames on a video are less than what you can achieve with your own card.

Point taken. :thumbsup: ..........I guess new Sims WILL make good use of an i5!?, unlike BMS.

Well BMS I'm Sure makes good use of the i5 not sure why you say it does not?? I thought you said that the Rolling Fire Campaign was porked and not really F4 Fault??

As Boxer said, BMS does not make good use of multi cores, its all to do with the old code, I proved this by reproducing the same slowdowns with Superpak 4.2!, on my i5!, so BMS is basically a make over for the graphics and flight model but it does not address the old code problems.

EDIT: and more evidence for this......the settings that work for me with BMS also work for Superpak 4.2, the slowdowns I get are exactly the same as I get in Superpak 4.2, Superpack 4.2 actually runs faster with only minor slowdowns on my old 1.8 GHz laptop with old VIA S3g unichrome video card.

WOW I think this new theater is fantastic, and with the desert landscape its bound to be great for FPS.

well I can let you know Monday.. I should get it then and I have to reinstall windows and such so it will be a while before I have a verdict.. But from what I been hearing it should benefit me greatly..

Hey Guys,

I have the SSD Installed and all working took about 6 hours to get it all setup and running.. Fresh install of windows and my programs..

Seems a bit quicker but I am going to run some SSD Benchmarks to see the real deal and so far the bootup time has been cut in half and takes about 6 seconds to turn Off..Really cool so far will let you know the more I run it..

well after much agony getting this SSD Perfected and installed properly it looks as thos I have finally achieved it..

I had reinstalled windows twice almost 3 times in 3 days.. Now I am going to call Corsair to find out for sure but I had to align the SSD After I installed windows.. well the first time I did that When I rebooted windows didnt boot so I just reinstalled windows but I found out ltr I just needed to run a Repair windows to get it set back after I aligned the SSD..

WEll I had reinstalled windows and then Aligned the SSD. I also had updated the Chipset Drivers the Asus said was released in Dec. but I didnt see it last month when I checked perhaps I looked at the wrong numbers or something but having Aligned the SSD and the new Chipset Drivers the SSD is running Optimally and I am getting some good benchmarks..

I did Notice that bootup times went from 1 minute to about 30 seconds FULL Bootup..When I shut Off it takes about 5-7 seconds to turn Off completely down from about 15 seconds before..

I have noticed installing Games and such is REal fast as is when the game like WoW when switching maps or something load times are much faste.. No longer lagging out waiting for the new map to load it loads pretty quick..

No I have NOT Noticed ANY FPS increases as it shouldnt effect those where it shines is load times..Much Faster and I think I am a happy Camper for a while with my System I finally got together after some months of Assembling the different parts..

I am know thinking New DLP Projectors. I am looking at Acers 120HZ 3D DLP PRojectors Reason being the Bulb life is about 5000Hours vs 2500 with my current Proj. Plus the FPS in games will be increased as I am limited to the Refresh Rate whilst in #D and my Refresh Rate is Only 75 so half of that is what my FPS are in most games..

Now with the 120Hz Proj. I should get at least 60FPS and as most know that is what is Optimal as that is what we see IRL.. Well hopefully I should get them inabout 2 months time.. I plan on buying 1 soon then 2 more over the next 2 months..

I am going to have to think about this and see if I can do it reasonably fast I would like to get them ALL and use them from Hour 1 ALL at the same time as to keep the Bulb on an even keel and should keep Color/Brightness matching a little easier..

As with DLP Projectors the longer the bulb life the Dimmer it gets by some degree. and if the Lamps are at different Hours the Screen Brightness needs to be compinsated which is a PITA to get Right..

As for the Old Projectors I will probally sell them on Ebay or something or at my Sisters Store???

Hey Neph good useful post!. :thumbsup: .........if I had a 120hz monitor instead of a 60hz would that boost BMS?.

Hey Neph good useful post!. :thumbsup: .........if I had a 120hz monitor instead of a 60hz would that boost BMS?.

Well it probally would since you use vertical sync..

But I did find this bit of info to find out if you need to align your Drive:

An easy way to see if your drive is aligned or not is to run "msinfo32" from Start|Run. Choose "Components", "Storage", "Disks" and find your SSD. Look for "Partition Starting Offset" and see that it is divisible by 1024. If so, it is aligned. If not, it is not. The usual value for an aligned SSD is 1,048,576 bytes

Neph, you really did go on a shopping spree (again)! Heroic attempts to help fix the economy! Plus...it worked!!

Congrats.

Neph, you really did go on a shopping spree (again)! Heroic attempts to help fix the economy! Plus...it worked!!

Congrats.

Yes Eugen I am always shopping so damn addicted not sure if I can stop LOL!! I love Buying new stuff..I been buying alot of new 3D Blu Ray movies. I just bought 7 Wonders of the Universe and Dinosaurs Alive in 3D Blu ray should be interesting..

I am also planning on buying a TV Tuner Card and new Set Top Box for Cable to see If I can get the 3D channels on my PC.. I am alos going to be getting a new Network Color Printer..

Hopefully with in two weeks.. so there I go on another shopping spree! I need help ;)

I'm going to purchase Track IR 5, but having trouble finding a store that sell's it!, so looks like it might have to be an online purchase which I'm never keen on.

Hey Red,

Why are you NOt keen on an online purchase?? Perhaps I can offer some help??

Oh its just that when you shop on-line you have to been in the house when the parcel arrives, but you never know what day its coming, or time?, plus these modern day hackers can hack anything these days so IMO its just a matter of time before someone nicks your credit card details!. :rolleyes: .......I like to go to the store, buy it there and then, transport it home myself, and have it all done and dusted in one day!....hassle free. B)

Yes I can see that..But finding a TrackIR in a Brick and mortar store is going to be a tough one.. I dont think I ever seen it at anystore besides Online..

MicroCenter may have them but that doesnt do you any good..