COMBATSIM Forum
Home Fries

Block 40 HUD for BMS released

All,

If you wanted to get that old, uber-large F-16 Block 40 HUD in BMS, wait no longer.

logosmy.png

http://www.benchmark...lk40-42-HUD-Mod

This is done by Harpoon, the same guy who did the "legs" mod for BMS. Download the mod and be sure to "thank" him on the BMS forums. The HUD mod is available with or without legs (i.e. optionally incorporates the legs mod), and for now only works in Korea.

Now all we need is the FLIR in HUD and we're doing low level night strikes again!

Right installed new cockpit but a few problems, 1. I'm still seeing old HUD?, 2. No matter how I try I just can't reach the main power switch for the external lights?

20120205121600.jpg

Ah you can still operate the hidden buttons with the cursor, you just can't see them!, so as long as you know where the buttons are meant to be your ok.....and you need to be in a F-16C-40 to see new HUD, but the static cross gun sight thing looks hidden at times? :thumbsup:

The pilot mod is cool, but I don't use it for the reason you mentioned. You need TrackIR with 6DOF in order to see the switches, and truthfully you probably need the viewing angle of a TIR 5 in order to move your head enough to see everything.

With the HUD viewing angles in BMS, the TIR and 6DOF becomes a lot more useful. I remember on one approach my ILS cue dropped below the HUD on final. I had to literally adjust my head up and "look down" a bit at the HUD in order to see the marker. That was a very cool experience.

There is a problem when applying your own skins to the F-16, if you have PL Harpoons Block 40 HUD Mod installed (which I like a lot, the one without pilot) then it overwrites some dds files and puts the F-16 wings back to default Grey when viewed from inside the cockpit, BUT the location of these dds files that are used are hard to locate??......I still can't find them?

Fixed.......this is the skin set used by Harpoon for the F-16 skins viewed from inside the Block 40 HUD mod cockpit, if you add your own custom skins to any Block 40 F-16 then this set would need to be changed too otherwise the F-16 will still look default Grey from inside the cockpit:

CT 1617 F-16C 40 Set 6 of 6 2704.dds and 2706.dds (wings), but all dds body files should be changed in this set to your custom skins if using Track IR.

block40hudmodwings.png

Glad you sorted it out. Is there a Blk40 HUD for the latest BMS patch available?

You mean Update 2?........you just use same Block 40 HUD installer, works just fine!, but Update 3 is due out and it might be part of Update 3 as standard so no need to install Block 40 HUD, however this is just a rumor at the present moment.

Fixed.......this is the skin set used by Harpoon for the F-16 skins viewed from inside the Block 40 HUD mod cockpit, if you add your own custom skins to any Block 40 F-16 then this set would need to be changed too otherwise the F-16 will still look default Grey from inside the cockpit:

CT 1617 F-16C 40 Set 6 of 6 2704.dds and 2706.dds (wings), but all dds body files should be changed in this set to your custom skins if using Track IR.

block40hudmodwings.png

Gees I can vaguely remember this thing when I was skinning. Bloody old man's memory. :rolleyes:

Hey HF some people have reported the Block 40 HUD mode not installing correctly after update 2 but it seems to be only a select few!?.......the reason for this is unknown but I for one have had no problems installing it after update 2.