#1 USBP1969

USBP1969

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

Howdy.

This is my first post as you might have guessed. I have been flying on-line combat flight sims since 1999, starting with Fighter Ace 1.5 and then Aces High, WarBirds and back to Aces High.

I am looking for two recommendations, if I may. They are:
1) Best on-line combat flight sim. (WW-II preferably)
2) Best "Boxed" stand alone combat flight sim. (WW-II preferably)

I asked about the latter because I am now a 24/7/365 caregiver for a bedridden wife who may require attention an any given time. Its really tough to be a in a dog fight and have to suddenly leave. I really enjoy "Aces High," but the off-line simulation is very limited and that's where I need to be a lot of the time. Thanks.

Respectfully,
USBP1969

#2 The Dude

The Dude

Muhuhuhaha!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,897 posts
  • Interests:Krabby Patties

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

Aces High, although I haven't played it in a long time, was always the best online WWII flight sim in my books. Hands down, the best boxed WWII flight sim is IL-2:1946. You'll want the community mod called Ultra Pack for IL-2 because it takes an already great sim and really makes it shine.

#3 USBP1969

USBP1969

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

Thanks Dude. AH is outstanding, IMO, just very limited for off-line flying.

How do the flight models compare between AH and IL2 1946 as far as realism goes and are the AI enemy fighter pilots' skill levels adjustable in IL-2?

"Strike Fighter" looks good, but requites Vista or Windows 7. I ordered my PC with XP Pro on purpose when there was no Windows 7.

-kent

#4 The Dude

The Dude

Muhuhuhaha!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,897 posts
  • Interests:Krabby Patties

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:03 AM

I can't say, with any real authority, how the flight models compare between AH and IL2 as I haven't flown AH in forever. Now that you know that, here's what I think: they are, if memory serves, a tad more forgiving, but not less realistic "feeling" in IL-2. I recall that the stall/spin characteristics in AH planes was rather abrupt ... but since Dale Addink is probably (I'm guessing) still working on and tweaking the flight model in AH, what I observed in the FM's then may not even apply today.

I can speak more authoritatively on IL-2 because I'm more familiar with it and have thousands of hours in it. Generally, my squad believe the US planes are under-powered and the German, Russian, and Japanese planes are over-powered compared to their real-world counterparts. I really like the spin stall characteristics of most of the aircraft in IL-2, not that they are super-authentic or anything, but they are interesting. For example, if you find yourself in an upright spin, you can reduce throttle to idle, apply full rudder oppsite to the spin, and push the stick all the way forward, and if you have enough altitude, you'll recover. If you don't follow that exact procedure, you're pretty much going to be a smokin' hole or splash in the water. The Corsairs in IL-2 also stall very convincingly at low speeds as you approach a carrier for landing. If you let your speed drop too low, the left wing will lose lift and you'll do a starboard roll into the carrier's wake or crash and explode on the fantail if you don't get the power on quckly. Just a few of the "authentic" things I've noticed in IL-2. But, obviously, I'm completely biased as I have virtually zero stick time in any other flight sim for the last ten years.

But props ain't the be all and end all. Be sure to check out the F22: ADF/TAW forum here. It's a great community of guys who love that classic jet sim and they are ready, able, and willing to assist any and all who show even the slightest interest (I mock them not ... I swear! :))

Oh, you asked about enemy AI ... you can set the difficulty of both the control / environment realism and the AI in IL-2. You can scale down the difficulty of both while you get a feel for the sim, then ratched each up as you gain more confidence. I highly recommend this approach if you find yourself getting frustrated because the game is very good. Oh, and never go against a group of AI that are all set to ACE ... you'll hate the game if you do that because if they can't shoot you down, they'll ram you. :lol:

#5 USBP1969

USBP1969

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

"Oh, and never go against a group of AI that are all set to ACE ... you'll hate the game if you do that because if they can't shoot you down, they'll ram you. :lol:"​

That's very interesting, I never thought that an AI would "self destruct."

Thanks, I'll check out the jet sim site. After 10+ years in prop A/C, I'd be starting from zero. (No pun) I never got into that type of sim because of the "BVR" type of dog fighting. I did get Lock On", but the avionics / weapons, etc. were way too over powering for me and I didn't know how to assign buttons and keys because I didn't know what half the stuff was.

Someone mentioned "Dawn of Flight", but said that it requires a lot of computer resources.

I Googled "Mig Alley" and it looks like maybe there is another version coming out. That's mostly jets and guns. I hope that if it does, XP-Pro will be OK.

-kent