COMBATSIM Forum
Home Fries

New mods released for SF2

Don't worry; I'm still active with Total Air War. I've just been exercising my modding with SF2 because it's so straightforward.

I have uploaded a Top Gun music theme that goes well with SF2: North Atlantic (and the Tomcat, naturally), as well as some (IMHO) enhanced map icons that aid in mission planning.

Both are available at CombatAce (see the above links). And again, don't worry; TAW 2.0 is still on my radar!

I've just bought and downloaded SF2-Europe on HF's advice. It reminds me so much of the original Strike Fighters Project, which is only natural. Only thing is its too similar especially with that music. :lol: So I'm really looking forward to installing HF's mods. Well done HF. :thumbsup:

@ HF

Somewhere I've seen your posts regarding installing your mods to SF2. But I now can't find them. :grrr: Help please. :icon_bow:

From this thread at SimHQ:

Here's a primer on SF folder structure.

For first generation SF (including Wings Over xxx), you added mods directly to the folder structure. Therefore, if you download a mod designed for SF1 or its variants, you will likely get instructions to drop it in your main folder.

For SF2 and its ilk, the main folder is only for official files. For each version you have (e.g. SF2E and SF2NA) you will have an EXE for it in the main folder. Run that EXE and it will create a folder tree under

Code:

C:\Users\yournamehere\Saved Games\thirdwire

So for example, if you run StrikeFighters2 Europe.exe, it will create a folder tree called

Code:

C:\Users\yournamehere\Saved Games\thirdwire\StrikeFighters2 Europe

All mods always always always go in your saved games folder, which is commonly known as the SF2 Mods folder. This is actually a great way to set things up, as you can add mods without risking your original install.

The other thing you can do that is handy is copy your EXE file and rename it to something else. This is great for total conversion type mods like Scandinavian Front and Desert Storm. Just copy the file and rename it (for example) StrikeFighters2 ODS.exe, and when you run the EXE it will create the folder tree

Code:

C:\Users\yournamehere\Saved Games\thirdwire\StrikeFighters2 ODS

This allows you to have multiple mods that may otherwise be incompatible with each other, and it's a great way to have your cake and eat it too.

EDIT: One more thing: the EXEs are functionally identical, and you can access all stock aircraft and campagigns from any of the EXEs. The only difference in EXEs is which mods are installed to which mod folder.

On top of that, if you're using my mods, they can be enabled via GME. Just create a MODS folder under your

folder, and drop my mods into that folder (if you use the A-6 superpack, just drop all files into the above folder).

Remember, there's also a way to relocate your SF2 mods folder. I keep trying to see if you're on raptr, but we're apparently never on at the same time.

Thanks for that :icon_bow: . Do you have others fighter jets for this game . MIGs or SU? Can you share it .thank you in advance

The Mirage Factory makes a very nice MiG-29, but I'm not sure where to find it while CA is down.

SF2 is only available via download from ThirdWire.

Not to worry; once you buy it, you can download it as much as you want, so you're not stuck if your HD goes down.

I generally recommend Europe for starting out because it has the best variety of aircraft (everything from the F-100 and Hunter to the F-15 and A-10) and a good theater/WW3 campaign. That said, you won't be able to use my A-6 superpack without either Vietnam or North Atlantic (Vietnam for the A-6A/B and NA for the A-6E and TRAM variants). Europe should be enough to let you know if you are interested in the series, at which point going to Vietnam or NA is a good move as both have carrier ops. Vietnam gives you a wider variety of missions, whereas NA gives you the Tomcat.

Yes. They all install to StrikeFighters2, and while they have separate EXEs, each EXE is functionally identical and has access to all of the installed stock aircraft and campaigns. The separate EXEs are useful if you want to have multiple mod configurations.

From this thread at SimHQ:

On top of that, if you're using my mods, they can be enabled via GME. Just create a MODS folder under your

folder, and drop my mods into that folder (if you use the A-6 superpack, just drop all files into the above folder).

Of course! :blush: SimHQ. When I downloaded A-6 superpack I just got a single file (A-6 Superpack 1.11.7z). You talk about files. :huh:

Remember, there's also a way to relocate your SF2 mods folder.

I have both my GME and MODS folders (with files included) in the Strike Fighters 2 folder, but when I open GME its empty? :( . No TAW2 Launcher here. ;)

I keep trying to see if you're on raptr, but we're apparently never on at the same time.

Sorry, limited time at the moment.

Of course! :blush: SimHQ. When I downloaded A-6 superpack I just got a single file (A-6 Superpack 1.11.7z). You talk about files. :huh:

7z is a form of file compression (like zip). Get the extracter at http://www.7-zip.org/ for free.

I have both my GME and MODS folders (with files included) in the Strike Fighters 2 folder, but when I open GME its empty? :( . No TAW2 Launcher here. ;)

Which Strike Fighters 2 folder? Not your main folder I hope; mods should be installed to your folder under save games. See the earlier post regarding the file primer.

There is no TAW launcher, but fortunately you know enough about how GME works to connect the dots. That said, if we can ever meet up on raptr/TS3 I can give you some really good pointers. I also put my draft Mod Management Manifesto in PDF format, so you should be able to read it as well. Check your dropbox.

HF i have some problems ! yesterday i install your A-6 Superpack ! Like you write in a manual. Models aircraft looks great, but a cockpit is similar to the cockpit of the plane A4 SkyHawks , where can be problems?

Since the superpack doesn't come with a cockpit, what you drop into the mod is what will show up. That said, if you enable the mod in SF2 without adding any cockpit, you shouldn't be able to fly the plane in the first place, so you must have modified something in the INI file.

Ok now not sure if MODS are installed fully so posting some pics and hopefully you (HF) can confirm they look OK?

img00006q.jpg

img00007s.jpg

img00008ef.jpg

img00009e.jpg

img00010x.jpg

Does the Tile set and sky look like I have MODS installed correctly?....also I have Topgun music installed and works great. :thumbsup:

Looks good, Red.

It appears that you took my advice and passed on the Reloaded terrain in favor of Stary's full Europe terrain. The snow is the giveaway!

I think you'll like the RAF Buccaneer as well. That's one of the best aircraft mods available.