Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WingNuts

New Build part Dux................

47 posts in this topic

Advanced fan control (presumably you're using it) in Afterburner works through the program - video cards don't normally use multi-step curves.

85C is pretty normal in the sense that it won't kill the card or that it's not unusual for a 570 with stock cooling, you can live with it. But it's still probably worth getting it lower if noise doesn't change significantly. Just prolongs the card's life, nothing critical.

I like to first find out 3 fan speeds by noise: 1) can't hear it, 2) very comfortable, 3) not comfortable but still can play with. Then set up the curve such that it's speed 1 until say 55C (light gaming load), very sharply rising to speed 2 by 60C, then very slow rise for a while, then a moderate notch up to speed 3, at say about 75C-80C, continuing, and at 85C-90C another very sharp rise all the way to 100%. This keeps it quiet in the entire range where it can stay quiet, while preventing overheating.

That makes sense, lower temps mean longer life!, I've made a profile and it brings Battlefield 3 temps down to 75c.....I just tested Battlefield 3 and it uses 100% of the 570, BMS only uses 65% of the card, which is a find because a lot of people are thinking about upgrading their cards just for BMS when in fact its their CPU that can't cope, even a top end CPU has trouble with BMS because of the old code.........thanks for the input Tiger!. :thumbsup:

So Red did you get a Fan profile that works?? I know in MSI Afterburner you also need to Click User Defined in the Main menu..

Yeah I got one that works, but It sounds like a cheap hairdryer now, the fan sound is quite noisy......is it ok for the fan to be spinning at them speeds?

Try lowering the speed then. The key is getting an acceptable noise level speed that can still cool it reasonably and near-flatlining around there.

Also, how long have you had this card, have you tried cleaning its heatsink? They are very prone to dust accumulation. Using a vacuum cleaner, without the brush, from both ends (fan intake and exhaust) should do a lot without disassembling.

Its fairly new, bought in November last year, I'll give it a clean down later, I've got temp down to 64c while running BF3, maybe I should back off a bit and try to just keep it at 75c.

75C is fine, I'm surprised you managed to get it down to 64C under load. It's past 80C when you have a reason to lower it.

Also, from the temperatures you're getting, I take it that your CPU cooler is a sealed one like Corsair H100, right? (These aren't what is usually meant by water cooling). If so, make sure that it blows outside the case - the manual may suggest to place it to suck air in, but that shouldn't be done (raises case temperature).

Yes correct about the CPU cooler, its already blowing out back so thats good, also if I just knock the graphic setting down to HIGH instead of ULTRA in Battefield 3 then temp only gets to 75c on stock fan settings.

Update: After making the post above, I recalled that my own cards were a bit overdue for cleaning. So I turned my PC off and did it. The result is minus 5 degrees idle (probably even more at load). And it's not like I don't clean it often enough as it is, usually monthly, delayed a bit more recently.

I'm done by now, so all it took was a little over an hour, and I took everything out of the case to do it thoroughly.

If yours hasn't been cleaned for long enough, even 8C-10C would not be surprising. You won't believe how much dust can accumulate there and how much effect it has.

That information is very old. Fortunately it does suggest to refer to the product page.

Maximum temperature for GTX 570 is 97C: http://www.geforce.c.../specifications

The last card that had 105C was the GTX 400 series. For GTX 570-580 they downrated it to 97C (though it's actually a bit higher up to 102C for low-end cards). Notably, the silicon didn't even change between 480 and 580 - a temperature of 105C is safe for the chip itself, so it's not the reason for downrating.

Like I said on the first page, all high-end Nvidias suffer from solder cracking, have been since 6800. The problem is delayed but very common, up to half the cards eventually go that way, and caused by repeated thermal stress, eventually breaking some of the solder balls connecting the chip to the PCB away from one of the surfaces. This loss of contact results in visual artifacts, instability, overheating or outright failure to start.

Cards with this problem can actually be fixed with about 2/3 success rate by removing electrolytic capacitors and plastic parts and heating the card with a hot air iron and an oven to resolder the chip. Nvidia is well aware of the issue, but apparently it isn't easy for them to fix (they don't own any manufacturing themselves) and they aren't concerned enough to change their contractor (it usually happens after the warranty period and is easily repaired anyway), but enough to lower the throttling temperatures.

The incidence of this problem depends on operating temperatures, and the common experience of the overclocking community to date has been that cards running at GPU temperatures within 80C are not likely to experience it, e.g. it's unheard of with water-cooled cards. Overclocked cards running above 90C add instability to the mix of issues. 85C is about in between.

Now, that's the scoop, what to do with that is up to you. If your warranty is longer than you plan to use the card, you might not bother, send it back when it breaks. Otherwise you may want to take some steps.

Also, since I mentioned optimized fan speed curves, here's how one should look:

aln7mc.png

Fan speed itself will vary. The 50-66% range here is where you feel comfortable gaming, if you're OK with more, extend it up, or you can lower it if you need silence. The cliff at 55C allows the fan to spin up about as soon as you start a game, rather than waiting for the GPU to heat up. Finally 86C is where you want to cool it down.

Hey thanks for that Tiger, thats good info. :thumbsup: .....also I wondered why it never went over 87c max, so I did a Furmark test, which shows temps, throttling and all that stuff, and when it hits 87 the GTX 570 throttles back to 85, so with my card at least going above 87 is not allowed, must be a new safety feature.

Found out why it sounded like a cheap hairdryer, had a very small manufacturing sticker stuck to back of one of the fan blades! :rolleyes: ....quiet as a mouse now......oh Wingnuts sorry mate your thread was hijacked. ;)

Red no worries it's all good information as relates to my set-up as well. Which 570 did your rig come with? Mine is an EVGA 1579. It's fan speed id limited to 85% max. Currently no fan unlocker out yet for it. All the other 570 EVGA cards have a flash tool to allow higher %'s. Alas not mine though.

WingNuts

Hi Wingnuts here's my card specs, its a Nvidia GTX 570 1280MB, I can use all kind of software to adjust fan speed, MSI, NvidiaInspector, etc.

carddt.png

Nephilim, as promised here are a few photos of the monitor and desk top. Sorry for the bad lighting tripod somewhere in the garage.

1st one no power

IMG_1470.jpg

2nd XP loaded

IMG_1473.jpg

3rd Win7

IMG_1472.jpg

Still have 18" on either side of monitor. Hopefully you'll be able to see the glass overlay I spoke of.

WingNuts

Looks Really Nice. lighting was fine but not sure if I see the Glass overlay??

Looks Really Nice. lighting was fine but not sure if I see the Glass overlay??

I can see it, its over the monitor right?, thats a good idea for protecting the screen.

My bad explanation! There is no total glass overlay covering the whole monitor face. It is the clear glass like edge that surrounds the frame of the monitor. Size is approximately 1/8". What I meant was it tied into my glass desk top keyboard edging etc.. Sorry for any confusion I created.

WingNuts

Hey WingNuts, Check out this thread some guy at SimHQ is Giving away a OFP:GOTY copy you would just need to pay for shipping..

Please see this thread ASAP as I told him I would ask and see if you want it..:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3586272.html#Post3586272

If you want it Post in there and grab it so you can play with us.. We can get you the ECP Mod unless you already have it..

Thanks, Nephilim I posted him I want it if still avilable. I gave him my email so hopefully I'll here back soon. Appreciate your thoughtfullness.

WingNuts

Hey WingNuts No Problem..Glad you saw and responded to the post..Also like that guy said you should NOT post your FULL Email like you did in the Forums ..

There are Spam Bots that browse the internet looking for such info.. If you do Want to post your Info best to do it in a PM..