26 replies to this topic

#1 CMDR Sweeper

CMDR Sweeper

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

Yep, I am now a member of the Neph and Home Fries hardware club and down to backup solutions and two monitors.
And before you ask, no it isn't a monitor failure but graphics card that went bye bye, or partial bye bye... It works, but it produces artifacts on the desktop galore and no webbrowser can be used.
So yeah I am definitly going to be less availible than what I have been as I wait for the RMA of my 5970 card and I wonder what I will get back from them.
Either way, it might go the route of an upgrade, who knows at this stage.

#2 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

Welcome to the club. For the benefit of others, may our membership continue to be exclusive.
-Home Fries

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stuart Mill

The average Naval Aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Posted Image

#3 mikew

mikew

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:10 AM

What the hell are you guys doing with your machines? ;)

In the last 20 years I can only remember one failure, which was a 40MB hard disk back in 1994.

#4 Redfalcon

Redfalcon

Lt. Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

Yeah my 13 year old Packard and Bell laptop is still running like clockwork, and I've dropped it 4 times from waist height to the ground, not a scratch!, EF2000 and TAW look better on it than this new piece of junk, if it was only capable of running BMS I would have never upgraded, newer is not always better. ;)

EDIT: I must add that for BMS this new rig IS good, so thanks to Neph and HF :thumbsup: , I'm doing pretty well for fps if the BMS forum is anything to go by.

#5 The_Nephilim

The_Nephilim

3D Vision Guru

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts
  • Interests:Flight Simulation, The Universe..

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

Sorry to hear Sweeper..Hopefully you will get it all straightened out with as little as a hassle as possible..

Red your Machine will SHINE with newer Sims and games.. as for the older ones you can always goto the Laptop since it still works with EF and TAW.. But I find TAW Works better with the newer system but I have 3D with the Somewhat older rig.. Newer stuff and XP on it for OLD School 3D!!

I just need to get a X52 for it and I am set..perhaps in the next few months.. I still would like to get my HAF 932 Rig to Watercool it especially those 480GTX's they are so Damn Noisy..!!

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.3Ghz / CM Hyper 212+ Heatsink / Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 / Corsair XMS 16GB DDR3 memory / eVGA 590 GTX / Rocket Fish 7.1 Sound System / 3 - Acer X1261P NVidia 3d Vision Certified Projectors / 3 - 45" Screens / Cougar HOTAS / Win 7-64bit / nVidia 3D Vision / HAF 932 Full Tower

2095164.png

I would if I could, but I can't, so I won't..- The Nephilim

#6 Redfalcon

Redfalcon

Lt. Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

Yeah its not a bad rig at all, I'm liking it more each day.......anyway looks like the new Ivy Bridge CPU is not what people were expecting!?

http://www.tomshardw...3770k,3181.html

#7 The_Nephilim

The_Nephilim

3D Vision Guru

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

Yeah its not a bad rig at all, I'm liking it more each day.......anyway looks like the new Ivy Bridge CPU is not what people were expecting!?

http://www.tomshardw...3770k,3181.html

Well Lets hope the 3.0 GPU Speeds are an increase over the 2.0 ones..that is where it will improve me hopes..

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.3Ghz / CM Hyper 212+ Heatsink / Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 / Corsair XMS 16GB DDR3 memory / eVGA 590 GTX / Rocket Fish 7.1 Sound System / 3 - Acer X1261P NVidia 3d Vision Certified Projectors / 3 - 45" Screens / Cougar HOTAS / Win 7-64bit / nVidia 3D Vision / HAF 932 Full Tower

2095164.png

#8 CMDR Sweeper

CMDR Sweeper

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:38 AM

In the last 20 years I can only remember one failure, which was a 40MB hard disk back in 1994.

Well nothing more than using them :P
The graphics card still works in 3D, but the 2D part and what the webbrowser addresses is shot to hell and produces artifacts.
Still waiting for an RMA from the store though.

#9 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

But it wasn't my fault!
-Home Fries

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stuart Mill

The average Naval Aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Posted Image

#10 mikew

mikew

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:42 AM

Heh, I half expected all my stuff to explode immediately after posting that. :)

HF, that's a nice A6 blog. It's a pity that the new "improved" forum layout doesn't have a sidebar showing updated blogs.

#11 Tigershark

Tigershark

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:43 AM

...anyway looks like the new Ivy Bridge CPU is not what people were expecting!?

That is correct. Early samples sent to reviewers were cherry-picked and represent maybe top 1% of the chips. Worst of all, Ivy Bridge doesn't even overclock as well as SB. The loss of just 100-150 MHz would already negate its small advantage, and the actual loss is more like 300 MHz.

The only situation where you need PCI-E 3.0 is if you have 3+ very powerful GPU cards and can't provide 8+ lanes to each of them (since there's only 20 to go around). In that case however you probably have LGA2011 anyway.

So, not only is IB safe to skip (we knew that already), it's actually better cost/benefit today to buy an older 2500K or 2600K CPU even today.

On the bright side, though, after several years of trying to make everyone get rid of PS/2... new Intel mobos, built on Z77 chipset, now include one. Doesn't matter unless you're actually buying an Intel mobo (who does that?), but just the gesture. We had a short talk on it the last fly-in; basically, PS/2 is better for input devices than USB in a whole number of ways, it allows for reduced input lag, unlimited key rollover, low-level power control.

#12 The_Nephilim

The_Nephilim

3D Vision Guru

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

Well I will add to the Mix a new device that is to be RMA'd.. My Ceton InfiniTV 4 TV Tuner for the PC is going to be RMA'd I am just waiting for the RMA# and Address..

Now this time I really did NOT break it it just broke itself.. or at least they think it is Broke and want to see if they can either fix it or replace it???

IF this thing broke that simply I am not sure if I wanna play around with it when I get it back and perhaps just sell the damn thing on AVS or HTF!!

2095164.png

#13 CMDR Sweeper

CMDR Sweeper

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:23 AM

Yeah, hardware isn't as reliable as it used to be, I got a lot of old GPUs that have been running years now in my retro rig, and not even a fan failure, while the more modern graphics cards I do not have many left of.
And the reason is that they have gone on RMA, but fortunatly, I have had minimal expenses replacing them since I have gotten my money back and just reinvested them in newer products :P

#14 Redfalcon

Redfalcon

Lt. Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

I have a ZX Spectrum 48k, and a Commadore Amiga 600 in the loft off the 80's and they both still work just fine!.

#15 CMDR Sweeper

CMDR Sweeper

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

And the hardware blues continiues... My replacement due to Nvidia chip shortage and possibly a recall of the entire 600 series lineup has given me an unconfirmed date of 30th of June...
Backorders can suck... Too bad my 5970 couldn't have clinged on for a month or two longer so I wouldn't end up in the crisis :D

#16 The_Nephilim

The_Nephilim

3D Vision Guru

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

is that the new 600 series video cards?? If so that is gonna suck man.. I feel your pain. by the way are you able to even get on TS3??

2095164.png

#17 Eagle_Flight

Eagle_Flight

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

by the way are you able to even get on TS3??

yeah i can join no problem.

thing is though: they got a new server with a new IP i think..

this link provides info: but you have to log in to sim hq to see the info:

http://simhq.com/for...cs/3137414.html
SimHQ Teapspeak 3 Server:
http://www.simhq.com...ultiplayer.html

Backup Teamspeak 3 Server:
Spoiler

My Internet Connection:
Spoiler

[color="#000000"]-
Rig:
ASUS Barebone with P5945GC MoBo - CPU Intel C2D E8400 @ 3 Ghz - ATI HD5570 - 4 GB DDR2 RAM - HOTAS Thrustmaster X-Flight

#18 CMDR Sweeper

CMDR Sweeper

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

And now the next one to go is the motherboard, damn this is starting to get cozy.
The board is starting to lose BIOS functions and gives me POST codes that doesn't exist according to the manual...
The good news is I got a spare board, the bad news is that the spare lacks sufficient SATA ports.

#19 The_Nephilim

The_Nephilim

3D Vision Guru

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:56 PM

oh my looks like an upgrade will be sooner than later in your World of Failures ;)

Hope you can get this all sorted out and back online with EE2 and TAW..

2095164.png

#20 CMDR Sweeper

CMDR Sweeper

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:35 PM

Yep, it is annoying as hell... We shall see when I get everything up and going again.
Bah, they don't make stuff the way they used to anymore the amounts of RMAs I do yearly is just going up.