COMBATSIM Forum
RadPig94

SF2 F-15 skin problem

I made F-15A Baz skins from a grey skin I extracted from the game, I did all the things that I was supposed to do with the .INI, but the skin turns out all white. is there supposed to be a specific name for each file, certain filesize, certain dimensions, certain number of files?

These are 512x512 and 1MB each (except the patch)

2SnD25.jpg

5NRmI3.jpg

The files for the BAZ need to be called F-15A_BAZ_1 through F-15A_BAZ_6.jpg, and don't forget F-15A_DROP_TANK.jpg since the tanks are part of the model. You can also use BMP, but if you are doing high resolution skins, JPG is so much more space and RAM efficient.

I recommend you download the CAT File Extractor from ThirdWire, then extract the F-15A_BAZ folder from ObjectData18.cat. This will also give you the default IDF decals and numbering scheme.

Looking forward to seeing your skin!

Well I seem to be getting somewhere, I figured out that not only did I have the wrong name, but they were out of numbered order. The BMP might of still had some transparancy which saving it as JPG would have fixed that. I can now put decals on the plane (but it isn't needed). But my F-15A Baz is still all white, besides the droptanks. Am I missing anything? Do the filesize or dimensions have to be a specific size? (oh and thanks for the tool, Now I don't have to use that TexMod (a general use Texture Extract Tool), which is a pain when you have to browse every single texture that has loaded onscreen during the game just to find 1 airplane skin)

[TextureSet]

Name=Galm 1

Nation=ISRAEL

Squadron=133IDF

Specular=0.500000

Glossiness=0.400000

Reflection=0.000000

[TextureSet001]

Directory=IDFGrey1

Name=IDF Grey 1

Nation=ISRAEL

Squadron=133IDF

Specular=0.500000

Glossiness=0.400000

Reflection=0.000000

[TextureSet002]

Directory=Galm1

Name=Galm 1

Nation=ISRAEL

Squadron=133IDF

Specular=0.500000

Glossiness=0.400000

Reflection=0.000000

H0zkDi.jpgsN7lox.jpg

Just make sure that the folder is called Galm1 (without the space). I know it's probably OK, but it's honestly the only thing I can think of. Thing is that with the exception of the tank, the other files (that have been modified) aren't recognized. Now we're getting into file properties territory. JPEG is always 24 bit AFAIK, but you might just want to hedge your bets and save them as BMP (24 bit) to test them out.

Also, if you could upload your files, I could take a look at them on my end.

I had tested everything but the obvious *facepalm* I didn't use the game's original file extracted with Cat Extractor, I kept trying and trying to use the files that were extracted with the TexMod. I guess they have to be exactly 3.00 Megabytes each, while TexMod's files were only about 20 KB. Anyways, I got it to work. I now have Galm 1. I can't wait to get started on his wingman, Galm 2 callsign Solo Wing. Thanks for the help.

StrikeFighters22012-05-1921-46-56-21-1.png

StrikeFighters22012-05-1921-49-42-63.png

StrikeFighters22012-05-1921-50-09-01.png

StrikeFighters22012-05-2019-45-19-22.png

Cool looking skins; glad you got it working.

The files don't need to be exactly 3 Mb, but they do need to be square. I'm not sure how Texmod extracts, so it's always a good bet to use a template and start your skins that way.

I also noticed that everything is a 032 number. Stuff like that is where decals come into play very nicely. Then if you don't want to use existing numbers you can create your own TGAs (just put the numbers in the alpha channel). Give the decal a naming convention like F15SN000 (start with 000 and go up to whatever you like) and have the entries match the field in numbers.lst.

For example, if you want to start with 032 and go to 035, you would put 032 as F15SN000.tga through 035 as F15SN003.tga. Then your numbers.lst would consist of the following entries:

BTW, if you don't care about the leading zero, you can always use the USMCNUM decals, which go from 00 to 99.

I added the number myself because that is the exact number, position, and font of the pilot's jet paintscheme I'm emulating. I will also do this to Solo Wing's jet with "011", he has a nearly blank paintscheme except for a red right wing and his decals. that is good info for future non-specific-pilot planes though. Thanks