Home Fries

It looks like we're the only show in town for now...

8 posts in this topic

SimHQ just shut down their ThirdWire forums, with the official line being that they couldn't handle the increased moderation required from the recent spike in activity. Unfortunately, just like with TAW, what existed of the knowledge base went away without warning.

In the meantime, I started the wiki

strikefighters.wikia.com

There's not a whole lot there yet, as I don't have very much free time right now. However, I have posted details on each of the games in the series, and JonathanRL has posted data on his excellent Scandinavian Front mod for SF2E. I'll try to add details from my draft Mod Management Manifesto when I get the opportunity.

I'm surprised SF2 is less popular than these extreme difficulty sims: Too much procedure to fire just one missile. One of the reasons why I like SF2: Click, aim, fire.

thanks homefries and radpig94. i was just on simhq and they shut the door of strike fighter but i do not know why they let yap continue with business. also i tried to lure and post and remind some thirdwire users to come over here but to no avail. looks like no one is taking it. seems like all lost interest or seriously taking a long break from mod and sim. also since ca is down it has not only affect ca but as c5 and marcfighters site and plus the addition of simhq fiasco and I don't want o get into capun ateam site which is strict and bad..

No worries, guys. Once CA comes back up, all will be right with the world.

I'm surprised SF2 is less popular than these extreme difficulty sims: Too much procedure to fire just one missile. One of the reasons why I like SF2: Click, aim, fire.

Nothing wrong with the study sims. The complexity gives them a lot of staying power. I fly Falcon 4 as well as SF2, and while it can be more frustrating because you don't have the same crutches available as you do in SF2, the difficulty and required attention to detail makes for incredibly memorable missions. I can fondly remember missions I flew 6 years ago because of making it by the skin of my teeth, and with nothing more than my instruments, know-how, and luck. That said, study sims require a lot more preparation time as well as flying time, whereas you can fly 3-4 SF2 missions during the time it takes to plan a single F4 strike. Both sims scratch an itch.

Nothing wrong with the study sims. The complexity gives them a lot of staying power. I fly Falcon 4 as well as SF2, and while it can be more frustrating because you don't have the same crutches available as you do in SF2, the difficulty and required attention to detail makes for incredibly memorable missions. I can fondly remember missions I flew 6 years ago because of making it by the skin of my teeth, and with nothing more than my instruments, know-how, and luck. That said, study sims require a lot more preparation time as well as flying time, whereas you can fly 3-4 SF2 missions during the time it takes to plan a single F4 strike. Both sims scratch an itch.

Both FSim types have there place. TAW2.0 and SF2 allows me to climb aboard without too much trouble. F4? ........ That's another matter. ;) But I enjoy both types. :thumbsup: