Photo

It looks like we're the only show in town for now...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

SimHQ just shut down their ThirdWire forums, with the official line being that they couldn't handle the increased moderation required from the recent spike in activity. Unfortunately, just like with TAW, what existed of the knowledge base went away without warning.

In the meantime, I started the wiki
strikefighters.wikia.com

There's not a whole lot there yet, as I don't have very much free time right now. However, I have posted details on each of the games in the series, and JonathanRL has posted data on his excellent Scandinavian Front mod for SF2E. I'll try to add details from my draft Mod Management Manifesto when I get the opportunity.
-Home Fries

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stuart Mill

The average Naval Aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Posted Image

#2 RadPig94

RadPig94

First Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

I'm surprised SF2 is less popular than these extreme difficulty sims: Too much procedure to fire just one missile. One of the reasons why I like SF2: Click, aim, fire.

#3 rscsjsu5

rscsjsu5

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

thanks homefries and radpig94. i was just on simhq and they shut the door of strike fighter but i do not know why they let yap continue with business. also i tried to lure and post and remind some thirdwire users to come over here but to no avail. looks like no one is taking it. seems like all lost interest or seriously taking a long break from mod and sim. also since ca is down it has not only affect ca but as c5 and marcfighters site and plus the addition of simhq fiasco and I don't want o get into capun ateam site which is strict and bad..

#4 RadPig94

RadPig94

First Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:48 PM

Maybe these sites could help somehow? They are not SF2 oriented but I bet you could convince them to help out, so they can bring attention to site like this one.

http://www.mission4today.com/
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php
http://www.allaircra...ions.com/forum/

#5 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:10 AM

No worries, guys. Once CA comes back up, all will be right with the world.
-Home Fries

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stuart Mill

The average Naval Aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.
Posted Image

#6 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:27 AM

I'm surprised SF2 is less popular than these extreme difficulty sims: Too much procedure to fire just one missile. One of the reasons why I like SF2: Click, aim, fire.

Nothing wrong with the study sims. The complexity gives them a lot of staying power. I fly Falcon 4 as well as SF2, and while it can be more frustrating because you don't have the same crutches available as you do in SF2, the difficulty and required attention to detail makes for incredibly memorable missions. I can fondly remember missions I flew 6 years ago because of making it by the skin of my teeth, and with nothing more than my instruments, know-how, and luck. That said, study sims require a lot more preparation time as well as flying time, whereas you can fly 3-4 SF2 missions during the time it takes to plan a single F4 strike. Both sims scratch an itch.
-Home Fries

-John Stuart Mill

Posted Image

#7 Wombat1940

Wombat1940

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 4,563 posts
  • Interests:Fight Sims, Motorbikes, Grand-children and a favorite Neighbour.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

Nothing wrong with the study sims. The complexity gives them a lot of staying power. I fly Falcon 4 as well as SF2, and while it can be more frustrating because you don't have the same crutches available as you do in SF2, the difficulty and required attention to detail makes for incredibly memorable missions. I can fondly remember missions I flew 6 years ago because of making it by the skin of my teeth, and with nothing more than my instruments, know-how, and luck. That said, study sims require a lot more preparation time as well as flying time, whereas you can fly 3-4 SF2 missions during the time it takes to plan a single F4 strike. Both sims scratch an itch.

Both FSim types have there place. TAW2.0 and SF2 allows me to climb aboard without too much trouble. F4? ........ That's another matter. ;) But I enjoy both types. :thumbsup:

Custom built PC:Hardware:

Gigabyte Ultra Durable 3 GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard, Intel ® i7 920 2.67Ghz CPU, 8Gb Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX275 (896Mb mem) video card with Direct X9c, Realtek ALC850 sound circuitry, Samsung 21"(4x3)Flat LCD, TM Cougar joystick, TrackIR 3Pro, Logitech G330 Headset, ConnectAccess621 ADSL2/2 Router.

Partitioned HDD:

Software, 1st partition: XP Home SP3 32bit OS  with3.25Gb available memory running TAW2.0 Ed:2.20 Baseline + 2.21 Patch + 2.22a Patch + 2.30beta4, nGlide Wrapper 1600x1200 (Gamma Correction 1.2).

Software, 2nd partition: Vista Home Premium SP2 64bit OS with 6Gb available memory running DCSWorld plus DCS FC3.

Spoiler

MSI GE60 OND-288AU Notebook:Hardware:

15.6" (16 x 9) 1920 x 1080 HD anti-glare LCD screen, Intel ® Core ™ i7-3630QM 3rd Gen 3630QM Intel Core X64-based CPU, Intel HM76 Chipset with Turbo Drive Engine and Cooler Boost Technology, 16Gb DDR3 1600MHz Memory in two slots, NVIDIA Geforce GTX660M 3D Graphics Card with Direct X11, 2Gb GDDR5 Graphics VRAM, 750Gb SATA 7200 rpm HDD, Blue-Ray Optical drive, Saitek X52 joystick (alternatively, MS Sidewinder), Sierra USB Telstra 4G wireless modem (or WiFi in Bali).

Software: Win8.1 64-bit OS with 15.9Gb available memory running TAW2.0 Ed:2.20 Baseline + 2.21 Patch + 2.22a Patch + 2.30beta4 Patch, nGlide Wrapper 1920 x 1080 (Gamma Correction 0.7) Res. and DCSWorld plus DCS FC3.

Spoiler

#8 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

CA is back up! :icon_rock: :dancinguy: :nana:
-Home Fries

-John Stuart Mill

Posted Image