Photo

Retirement, Rise of Flight, Cliffs of Dover, OH MY!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Old Guy

Old Guy

The Old Spec-5

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,171 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:32 PM

A few of you are already aware of my retirement. My last day with the city was June 1. I've been trying to get used to having all this free time and filling up a good deal of it with work around the casa and additional writing.

Took some time to replace my old desk and rearrange my office so it's a better place for writing. Still need to replace my old chair and get a new printer.

So I read Joker's post about Cliffs of Dover and Stag's responses with interest. I also noted Joker's comment on Rise of Flight.

I believe my present PC will run either of them, but probably not at full throttle. ROF has a downloadable free play version, which I believe I'll try. CoD doesn't have anything like that, so I need to ask some questions.

Does CoD have or will it have decent offline campaigns?
When CoD is played offline do you have to maintain an internet connection for security reasons?

The almost as old as Whiz, Old Guy.
:D

#2 Herr Soren Fick

Herr Soren Fick

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts
  • Interests:Fifi und Bridgitte

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:51 PM

Be zure to fly for zhe korrekt zide. Zhe Tommiez ver luky zhe firzt time, zhis time zhey vill nicht fair zo vell.

Soren Fick iz happy to zee you!

NewFick_zps995ae644.jpg

#3 Old Guy

Old Guy

The Old Spec-5

• Charter Member
  • 4,171 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:24 PM

Fick, you don't want me flying for the Axis. I can see it now .......................

Leutnant Fick leads a flight of four ME-109s, call sign Shickelgruber. The four fighters weave lazy S-curves over a gaggle of bombers. The Channel glistens in the morning sun.

"Achtung! Shickelgruber flight! Hurricanes!"

As the formation splits up, Shickelgruber Two, Feldwebel Old Guy, frowns behind his oxygen mask. "What did he say? I can never understand what he's saying." The feldwebel is talking to himself. His years as a married man have taught him to voice his complaints in a low mumble. Thus, even he doesn't hear them.

"Hurricanes!" shouts someone else.

Old Guy looks around. "No hurricanes here. Some puffy clouds down below. What was that fool talking about?"

Dark shapes flash by on either side. Old Guy looks around again, but fails to see the British fighters diving down to attack the bombers. Nor does he see the Spitfire angling in for a deflection shot. Bright lights sparkle in the sky. His fighter shudders. A line of ragged holes appears in his right wing.

"Schiess, my airplane is coming apart!" Toggling his radio button he calls, "Here ist Old Guy. Hello. Hello." A blast of crosstalk is his only reply.

He pushes the button again. "I'm going home. See you at the club." He eases into a standard rate turn and heads back toward France. Several British pilots take a shot at him as he leaves, but they consistently underestimate his slow turns and moderate speed. He arrives back at the airfield with plenty of fuel.

"What happened to Fick?" asked the adjutant.

"Beats me," said Old Guy. "What's to drink? I'm starved."

Shickelgruber Three and Four returned an hour later. Fick showed up two days later. He spent several hours in the Kanal before a French fishing boat picked him up. Someone handed him a wine bottle, then another, and another. He was stinking drunk and reeked of mackeral when a friendly truck driver dumped him at the airfield gate.

Fick was disciplined for conduct unbecoming an officer and transferred to a Stuka squadron. Feldwebel Old Guy asked for and recieved a transfer to the Department of Brothel Inspection. He was assigned as a pilot for Edwin Rommel, Brothel Inspector General.

So you see, Fick, it's best if I confuse and dismay the Allies. Unless you really want to die in a Stuka?

OG :)

#4 Whizkid

Whizkid

Pilot Officer

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Interests:Flight Sims,GPL,CSim,Sailing, MilitaryTechno-novels,Border Collies.

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:53 PM

A few of you are already aware of my retirement. My last day with the city was June 1. I've been trying to get used to having all this free time and filling up a good deal of it with work around the casa and additional writing.

Took some time to replace my old desk and rearrange my office so it's a better place for writing. Still need to replace my old chair and get a new printer.

So I read Joker's post about Cliffs of Dover and Stag's responses with interest. I also noted Joker's comment on Rise of Flight.

I believe my present PC will run either of them, but probably not at full throttle. ROF has a downloadable free play version, which I believe I'll try. CoD doesn't have anything like that, so I need to ask some questions.

Does CoD have or will it have decent offline campaigns?
When CoD is played offline do you have to maintain an internet connection for security reasons?

The almost as old as Whiz, Old Guy.
:D

Yep, you're getting there, OG! And don't worry about time on your hands. Every retiree I know can't believe how fast time flies. Must be something to do with approaching mortality, or something!
Be aware that even when you use a CD for COD, as I do, it still puts the game through Steam, so you have to have an account with Steam to be able to play. Which of course means an Internet connection. But it's no problem, I find. You might find the following critique interesting although almost nine months old.
http://www.simhq.com...3/air_501a.html

#5 Stag

Stag

The soft-spoken extremely violent one.

• Charter Member
  • 11,654 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:25 AM

As Whizzer says, "Cliffs" needs an internet connection. Stock campaign? not tried it yet; On full real I'm still trying to stop myself from blowing up my own engine, something which is horribly easy to do. But it is on the cheap shelf; if you find it unplayable there's no great loss.

#6 mikew

mikew

Maj. General

• Charter Member
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:56 AM

...Every retiree I know can't believe how fast time flies. Must be something to do with approaching mortality, or something!

I'm not quite retired, but I find the most irritating thing about Clod/ROF/DCS-series are the long load times before you actually get to fly. That and the online DRM make these unplayable as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't stop me buying them though. :)

It's nice to see Stag's positive attitude to Clod though. I'm fairly sure there's a decent game in there somewhere...and it sure is pretty. :thumbsup:

#7 Stans

Stans

‹berkommandant alles Spam

• Charter Member
  • 46,618 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

OG, if you fly with Fick you probably need to brush up on your navigation and command skills. That guy has changed directions more times than I can count, at least if I keep my trousers up around my waist. He'll run you out of fuel with mid-course corrections long before you reach the engagement area. :rofl:
When you know as much as I do, you become a danger only to yourself.

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

"Would you tell me please, Mr. Howard... why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away?" - Mel Gibson as Benjamin Martin in The Patriot, 2000.

Jailhouse Bones Davis, that's my blues name, so don't forget it.

#8 The Dude

The Dude

Muhuhuhaha!

• Admin
  • 16,878 posts
  • Interests:Krabby Patties

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:04 AM

Congrats on your retirement, OG. :thumbsup:

I think you'll fill the free time rather quickly. :)

#9 Stag

Stag

• Charter Member
  • 11,654 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

On my machine, maxed out, put no more than 70 aircraft of both sides in the same area of sky at the same time and it runs okay(ish). After that you're into seconds per frame. London, I haven't tried yet but just flying over it in a single Hurricane produced an audible whimper from my new mac- the wife's new rig.

#10 Whizkid

Whizkid

Pilot Officer

• Charter Member
  • 16,471 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:39 PM

This might help, Staggers. I have some problems that others seem to have as well. Specifically, Launcher run stuff. Game starts and about 2mins in an error message comes up, and the game quits. Shades of IL-2!
http://forum.1cpubli...splay.php?f=189

#11 Stag

Stag

• Charter Member
  • 11,654 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:38 AM

Nope, just a crapload of building models needing to be rendered at the same time.

I don't think the PC to run "Cliffs" to its full potential actually exists yet in a a package mere mortals can afford...

#12 Donster

Donster

Babengrupenfuhrermeister

• Charter Member
  • 51,509 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:44 AM

Ordered "CoD" for $17.44 including shipping yesterday morning from Amazon.com. Delivery in 4-5 days. Steam wanted $49.95. No way I would pay that much. As this will be an experiment to see if I can enjoy a flight sim again.
"Work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work....."

#13 Whizkid

Whizkid

Pilot Officer

• Charter Member
  • 16,471 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:28 PM

Ordered "CoD" for $17.44 including shipping yesterday morning from Amazon.com. Delivery in 4-5 days. Steam wanted $49.95. No way I would pay that much. As this will be an experiment to see if I can enjoy a flight sim again.

You wuz robbed! I only paid $15.95! But I had to subscribe to "Looking Cute in Leather". Do you think I made a good buy?

#14 Stag

Stag

• Charter Member
  • 11,654 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:05 PM

No.

Dear God, No.

#15 Stag

Stag

• Charter Member
  • 11,654 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hang on a sec.... Oh! it doesn't involve you trying to look cute in-

Never mind.

#16 Whizkid

Whizkid

Pilot Officer

• Charter Member
  • 16,471 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

Hang on a sec.... Oh! it doesn't involve you trying to look cute in-

Never mind.

Oh, shoot! I thought it was going to be some winsome gals looking cu..............! I should have paid full price and forgot the so-called deal. Why would all those bikers think that having curly hair was important? And what's that guy doing with that hula-hoop? Oh, never mind!

#17 Stag

Stag

• Charter Member
  • 11,654 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

Posted Image

#18 Donster

Donster

Babengrupenfuhrermeister

• Charter Member
  • 51,509 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:56 PM

Oh, shoot! I thought it was going to be some winsome gals looking cu..............! I should have paid full price and forgot the so-called deal. Why would all those bikers think that having curly hair was important? And what's that guy doing with that hula-hoop? Oh, never mind!

And they're going to come stay at your house Whiz. You know how them Californy bikers like to be all touchy feely and enjoying "Sharing". Enjoy!
"Work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work....."

#19 Stans

Stans

‹berkommandant alles Spam

• Charter Member
  • 46,618 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

I think I'm gonna be sick.

No, wait, I think I'll be ok...

NOPE!!!! Posted Image
When you know as much as I do, you become a danger only to yourself.

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

"Would you tell me please, Mr. Howard... why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away?" - Mel Gibson as Benjamin Martin in The Patriot, 2000.

Jailhouse Bones Davis, that's my blues name, so don't forget it.

#20 cobraj

cobraj

Chicks dig me...

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,619 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

hey you are welcome anytime to my camp in Starks, Maine. I could use an extra hammer or saw! We could even go a few hours and go haunt Mane Raptor. The invatation is good for anyone of my old pals as well! I am getting well dug this week so should have a real flush toilet and shower soon!

"There's always an empty seat on the train of disappointment..."

sitting by the ole single-wide in Starks Maine...