13 replies to this topic

#1 Redfalcon

Redfalcon

Lt. Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

Well now as peak summertime approaches and high humidity becomes a problem then your GPU and CPU temps could be on the rise, but fear not!, here is a quick and easy simple solution to the problem...........if like me you have a fan lying around the house similar to this:

Posted Image

then your problem is solved, simply stand it in front of your PC case (mine has ventilation grids all down the front) and turn on the fan using the max speed button and voilà!!, your GPU and CPU temps will drop 15-20c!!........simple and effective. ;) .

#2 The_Nephilim

The_Nephilim

3D Vision Guru

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
  • Interests:Flight Simulation, The Universe..

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

Hey Red,

Is that Idle temps or when gaming?? so you are saying your idle temps on a hot day are 50-55c at idle??

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.3Ghz / CM Hyper 212+ Heatsink / Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 / Corsair XMS 16GB DDR3 memory / eVGA 590 GTX / Rocket Fish 7.1 Sound System / 3 - Acer X1261P NVidia 3d Vision Certified Projectors / 3 - 45" Screens / Cougar HOTAS / Win 7-64bit / nVidia 3D Vision / HAF 932 Full Tower

2095164.png

I would if I could, but I can't, so I won't..- The Nephilim

#3 Redfalcon

Redfalcon

Lt. Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:57 PM

No Neph, my idle temps are 28c for CPU and 37c for GPU, during gaming CPU only hits 65c max but GPU can hit 80c during gaming, especially when running something like DCS World in the summer, but with this quick solution temps drop rapidly by 15 to 20c!, its a good solution for the summer.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Stans

Stans

‹berkommandant alles Spam

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,676 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:40 AM

That is a simple solution for a lot of people. I have an Antec 900 case, it cools very well on it's own. If I need more cooling from it, I can increase the speed of the two 120mm intake fans on the front of the case. I usually run them on the low speed setting and that seems to be adequate. Room temperature never exceeds 80F with the air conditioner running.
When you know as much as I do, you become a danger only to yourself.

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

"Would you tell me please, Mr. Howard... why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away?" - Mel Gibson as Benjamin Martin in The Patriot, 2000.

Jailhouse Bones Davis, that's my blues name, so don't forget it.

#5 Redfalcon

Redfalcon

Lt. Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

Well here in the British Isles summer temps never really justify a purchase of air conditioning for a home, a normal British summer is usually pretty damp and chilly, however we do still get humid spells like yesterday occasionally, if your home is air conditioned then probably no need for this........the case fans I have work well but the fan I fished out the garage has so much more power, and its bigger!, after just 10 minutes blasting the case with it the whole case feels cold to the touch........its a good cheap easy way for a quick cool down all round....now I'm wondering what temps I could achieve if I take the side panel off the case and weld the 3 foot wide fan to the side of the case!?......maybe I could reach 5 GHz OC'd?? :lol:

#6 Stans

Stans

‹berkommandant alles Spam

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,676 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:26 AM

I've tried placing fans on the sides of cases and had mixed results. You really need air moving into and out of the case in a very fluid motion. Moving air through the front and out of the back may actually cool better than a fan placed at the side that blasts air in all directions. At least that's my take on it.
When you know as much as I do, you become a danger only to yourself.

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

"Would you tell me please, Mr. Howard... why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away?" - Mel Gibson as Benjamin Martin in The Patriot, 2000.

Jailhouse Bones Davis, that's my blues name, so don't forget it.

#7 Redfalcon

Redfalcon

Lt. Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:51 AM

Your more than likely correct about that Stans, thats why placing this fan at the front of the case works!, it pushes all the hot crap out the back and top at high speed ;) , also I can't stress enough the peace of mind I get having Real Temp running all the time, I have 2 alarms set......1. for CPU alarm is set to 70c, if CPU hits that temp AT ANYTIME Real Temp will bring you out of game and a siren goes off.....2. for GPU alarm is set to 80c, and the same thing happens with that, fantastic!......so no worries there.....the only problem is that Real Temp has no option to run at Windows start-up therefore you must create the start-up for it using Windows 7 Task Scheduler, link here............also another benefit of this is that the winds blasting up off the case and hitting your face just add to that real sense of flight. :nana:

#8 Redfalcon

Redfalcon

Lt. Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

I've ordered one more fan for my case which I will plug straight into the PSU.....BUT this thread of mine still is a great option for a quick cool down. ;)

#9 WingNuts

WingNuts

First Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

Hey Redfalcon I just discovered the same sticker problem on my 570! Dam I wish they wouldn't do that. Sure a lot quiter now though. Thought I had a bee hive or something until I went to investigate. Glad I read your previous post and how you discovered that sticker.
Thanks,
WingNuts
i5-2500 @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
8gb Mushkin PC3 1600
EVGA 570HD 2.5gb DDR5 1579 AR
CoolerMaster 922 Mesh 3x200mm, 2x140mm fans
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
WD Caviar BLK 1T & 500gb SATA 6gb
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!

#10 The_Nephilim

The_Nephilim

3D Vision Guru

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

well I checked my vid card for a sticker No such luck.. But I guess that is how it sounds at speed like a hair dryer almost..

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.3Ghz / CM Hyper 212+ Heatsink / Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 / Corsair XMS 16GB DDR3 memory / eVGA 590 GTX / Rocket Fish 7.1 Sound System / 3 - Acer X1261P NVidia 3d Vision Certified Projectors / 3 - 45" Screens / Cougar HOTAS / Win 7-64bit / nVidia 3D Vision / HAF 932 Full Tower

2095164.png

#11 Redfalcon

Redfalcon

Lt. Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

Hey Redfalcon I just discovered the same sticker problem on my 570! Dam I wish they wouldn't do that. Sure a lot quiter now though. Thought I had a bee hive or something until I went to investigate. Glad I read your previous post and how you discovered that sticker.
Thanks,
WingNuts

Yeah glad you found the culprit!, you would of thought they'd know better than put stickers near moving parts! :rolleyes:

well I checked my vid card for a sticker No such luck.. But I guess that is how it sounds at speed like a hair dryer almost..

Well I've read of some people having really bad noise with 570's, something to do with bad bearings or the fan not been mounted correctly, and they had to RMA only a few months after purchase!, no problems like that here so far fingers crossed.

#12 The_Nephilim

The_Nephilim

3D Vision Guru

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

Well I found a Solution to keep the PC a lil cooler. I took the Side case panel off a few degrees cooler now..and I am in a Climate controlled house ;)

2095164.png

#13 Redfalcon

Redfalcon

Lt. Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:53 AM

My Cooler Masters Mega Flow 200 arrived today, but need some adapters to connect it straight into the PSU :unsure: ....so until then I'm plugging it into the motherboard.

EDIT: Just found the adapters :anim_bounce: ..........plugging into PSU now. ;)

#14 Redfalcon

Redfalcon

Lt. Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

Well now I have installed the Mega Flow 200 direct into PSU as to not put extra strain on motherboard, getting good airflow going in through front of case and good airflow coming out of the top and side, GPU idle temp down about 10c!, also I now have a pretty red light display all down front of case. :icon_rock: