6 replies to this topic

#1 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

Those of you who use Prepar3D (the Lockheed Martin follow-on to FSX), or those of you who follow "current events" in FS world, know that there's a pissing contest between Lockheed Martin and NaturalPoint as to whom should use who's SDK for TrackIR compatibility. The only solution until recently was to purchase a third party FSX add-on that would provide TIR compatibility to P3D.

The other day, I came across a post at AvSim that describes how you can hack the P3D language.dll to make the TrackIR think that you're running FSX (which is compatible). I tried it and it works well.

Here's what you do:
  • Back up language.dll in your P3D main folder.
  • Download and install Resource Hacker.
  • Open languagfe.dll in Resource Hacker.
  • In String Table 1 line 2, replace "Lockheed Martin® Prepar3D®" with "Microsoft Flight Simulator X".
  • In String Table 1 line 3, replace "Lockheed Martin® Prepar3D®" with "Microsoft Flight Simulator".
  • Compile and save.

Enjoy P3D as it should be enjoyed!
-Home Fries

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stuart Mill

The average Naval Aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Posted Image

#2 RadPig94

RadPig94

First Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

what make P3D different from FSX in the first place?

#3 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:01 AM

When Microsoft shut down the Aces team, LM brought them onboard and used the FSX code as the baseline for P3D. Since then they have made a number of improvements that improve resource usage, resulting in better frame rates with things like light bloom as well as with additional objects onscreen. I haven't dug into the specific improvements (I've been too head-down in my SF2 mods), but suffice to say that all major FSX modders are now supporting P3D.
-Home Fries

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stuart Mill

The average Naval Aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.
Posted Image

#4 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

This workaround still works, but may be obsolete with the latest TrackIR Beta drivers. :dancinguy:
-Home Fries

-John Stuart Mill

Posted Image

#5 Fittop

Fittop

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

By buying the Academic version for ~$50. I could use it as I do FSX? Or would I have to go to the $200 version to do that?
Then importing aircraft from other games?
What you see depends on where you are seeing it from.
Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit Service Pack 1, 17R laptop 2nd gen. Intel Core i5-2410M processor 2.30 GHz boost to 2.90 GHz . 8GB, (1600 x 900) LED Display with Intel HD Graphics 3000 with up to 1.6GB Dynamic Video Memory 750 GB,

#6 Home Fries

Home Fries

Air Dominance Project

• Charter Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

I use the Academic version as a supped up version of FSX. I have imported scenery and aircraft, and even the registered version of FSUIPC works with P3D, so the dependent addons generally work as well. I've had no problems with Radar Contact 4.3 with P3D.

Not all aircraft are compatible, though generally aircraft compatible with FSX SP2 are good to go with P3D. The exceptions are usually the aircraft with specialized DLL modules (e.g. MilViz F-15E), but that is to be expected.
-Home Fries

-John Stuart Mill

Posted Image

#7 Fittop

Fittop

Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

Wonder how true is the rumor that a new version of P3D might be coming out this fall?
What you see depends on where you are seeing it from.
Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit Service Pack 1, 17R laptop 2nd gen. Intel Core i5-2410M processor 2.30 GHz boost to 2.90 GHz . 8GB, (1600 x 900) LED Display with Intel HD Graphics 3000 with up to 1.6GB Dynamic Video Memory 750 GB,